Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Beach Fest, Long Beach, sat and sun 22nd 23rd

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

8/22 - 8/23 Tiki Beach Festivals Presents The 9th Annual Long Beach "Ho'olaulea" This Year w/ Crazy Al Evans' Tiki Museum Long Beach, CA.

Event Link: http://www.alfredosbeachclub.com/tiki_festival.htm

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-08-18 20:28 ]

What a Great Way to Spend the Day or the Weekend!!! :)

CA

here's the inside scoop... the museum is just an old guy in the sand with the same stuff for 12 some years,,,, o'ya wait... NEW STUFF TOO......

Tiki Fest has gone back to it's Hawaiian Hula roots! so come out for some see some great HULA!!!!

New EARINGS! (I made i sign for these back in the Palm Springs days!? finaly go some product made!!)

(photo: Raymier Simon... Ok... pendant paint jobs too!! thanks)
and more Spacial Tiki-Surf Pendants at low price $10!!
Mr. Long Board Antiki

Mr. Short Board

AND!!
PELE's SURFING MENEHUNES!! (Well Pele's Sister anyway)
On Worries Bra! Lava From Mainland Bra!
I dont know who Pele's sister is here in the southwest, But God(?) she does damn good work!!!
Very one is a different unique sculpture! as small as 1.5 inches

Mug Price Roll Back...... in "Bone Productions' Brown" Glaze!

Looks like a fun day for Lil' Blue and me! We'll come out on Saturday for a while.

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-08-20 12:32 ]

Anyone going to this???

looks like fun, but the giant sta-puff marshamallow tiki in the shorts and hawaiian shirt on the flyer kinda scares me...

Doug (Swamp Fire Lounge) and I are going to vend on Saturday as well. Looks like it should be alot of fun!
I've still got tons of cool tiki stuff left to sell!

http://www.happychijewelry.com

On 2009-08-20 11:21, sweetpea wrote:
looks like fun, but the giant sta-puff marshamallow tiki in the shorts and hawaiian shirt on the flyer kinda scares me...

Yeah, I have to agree. What's up with this Bruddah Moki thing? Who exactly is condoning this? And why? My six year old daughter says it is creepy looking and she wouldn't want to be near it. Can anyone provide a schedule of it so we know when to avoid it? On the other hand, are we allowed to throw things at it?

Don't let this funny looking Hawaiian mascot detour you from going.
This is a fun event geared towards family fun with kids in mind.
I have been to this three years and it was a blast.Last year I picked up some
nice plumeria plants for my back yard from a vendor at a very reasonable price.
I do concur though on how they should not put that on their flyer.

They should have had Doug Horne do the flyer!

Show Schedules:

Saturday August 22, 2009

10:00 - 10:35 am - Titus Napoleon

11:00 - 11:35 am - O`ahu

12:00 - 12:35 pm - Ke Anuenue

1:00 - 1:35 pm - Halau Hula Ka Mele Wai `O Ke

2:00 - 2:35 pm - Aloha Hula Studio

3:00 - 3:35 pm - Kolohe Ukulele Group

4:00 - 4:35 pm - Lei Polynesia

5:00 - 5:35 pm - Tapua

6:00 - 6:35 pm - Lokelani’s Rhythm of the Islands

7:00 - 7:35 pm - The Tamali`i’s

8:00 - 8:35 pm - Fire Walk

Sunday August 23, 2009

9:15 - 9:45 am - Okima

10:00 - 10:30 am - Kapua Hollands

11:00 - 11:30 am - TBA

12:00 - 12:35 pm - Na Hoaloha

1:00 - 1:35 pm - Tago Le Pasifika

2:00 - 2:35 pm - Hula Halau `O Lilinoe

3:00 - 3:35 pm - Mele Ohana

4:00 - 4:35 pm - Halau Na Hoa O Ka Hale Kanu

5:00 - 5:35 pm - TBA

Cruise down get a plate lunch and listen to some Hawaiian music and watch the lovely hula hands!

On 2009-08-20 11:42, happychi wrote:
Doug (Swamp Fire Lounge) and I are going to vend on Saturday as well. Looks like it should be alot of fun!

Happy Chi - what time will you and Doug be setting up shop on Saturday?
Crazy Al - how 'bout you?

We're babysitting our 1.5 yr old nephew Saturday, but it sounds like this would be a great way to keep him entertained, as well as satisfy our post-Oasis withdrawals. ; )

H

Tiki Kitty ~ Doug and I will be setting up Friday afternoon and should be open for biz by 9am Saturday.

On 2009-08-20 15:26, happychi wrote:
Tiki Kitty ~ Doug and I will be setting up Friday afternoon and should be open for biz by 9am Saturday.

Beautiful - thanks! We'll swing by to shop for certain.

I'm gonna try to swing by early sat for a bit.

Jeff(btd)

On 2009-08-20 13:00, Unga Bunga wrote:

Pretty sure this is SoccerTiki after to much Koolaid!

I have to agree, that flyer sucks!

After the fest y'all should pop down to Fern's on 4th and checkout Don Pies Luau. My friend Mama Laura's band, the Ukettes are playing at 10PM.

Jen

M
Mako posted on Fri, Aug 21, 2009 10:40 AM

I'll going on sat., looks like fun.

Lots going on in Long Beach, CA this weekend. We also got the
Smokin' Menehunes at Busters Beachhouse on Sunday 8/23

Busters Beach House

How would you describe the music? Well like this...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33654&forum=17&1&PHPSESSID=b3123bb4700aae7d507b34394df6aae6

I'm doing Sunday! Anyone else for Sunday? See ya at Busters too

What's the acuall ADDRESS? I'm looking at the flyer & to tell ya the truth it's not very clear.

(5101 E Ocean Blvd
Long Beach, CA 90803)?????

Kelly

Go here:
http://www.alfredosbeachclub.com/tiki_festival.htm

They have a map and stuff and the actual address.

No actual address since it's on the beach but the address shown

5101 E Ocean Blvd
Long Beach, CA 90803

is for Club Ripples which is directly across the street from it so if you go to that address and look across street you will see the event

I plan on checking this out--looks like a fun day out

It's at Ocean Blvd. and Granada Street...Granada extends on to sort of a concrete pier, and everything is set up there. If it helps with GPS or maps it's across the street from Club Ripples, the gay bar (which happens to have an OK Sunday brunch for $5.95..yes really..and NO, I've just been with friends)

Edit: this is what happens when the reply sits on your screen for 10 minutes before hitting "submit"...more helpful people beat you to it!

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2009-08-21 11:36 ]

Also happening this weekend in the city of Long Beach, CA

Shoreline Village Pirate Festival

[ Edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2009-08-21 16:28 ]

well shit, since everybody is throwin a bunch of Spam in here.
my Buddies from San Diego( Secret Samurai) are playing at the Pike in Long Beach on sat night from 9 pm till 11 pm.

mmmmmmm Chimay beer, and PBR batter onion rings.

Jeff(btd)

Meanwhile, back at the original event in this thread, the Long Beach Ho'olaulea...

Kevin, from the Smokin' Menehunes , will be playing steel guitar for the Kolohe Ukulele group on Saturday at 3:00.

Long Beach in the house! Representing!

I'll be here Sunday! Going to try and catch the Smoking Menehunes, too!
It's good to know I'm not the only one with Tiki Oasis withdrawls!

I didn't make it yesterday,
just too wiped out from Oasis still,
and had to go to a Gumbo party at 5 pm.

somebody there at the Party said they went to the tiki fest,
and said it was the worst they had ever seen it.

I wont be able to make it today, so I guess I will have to take their word.
but Crazy Al is there, at least go and see him, then leave.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

On 2009-08-23 09:52, bigtikidude wrote:
and said it was the worst they had ever seen it.

The worst??? SoccerTiki and I thought it was so much better than last year. Representing the TC World at the festival is Crazy Al, Swampfire, Stacey with her Happy Chi Jewelery, and Smokin Tiki. Lots of other vendors with Hawaiian Goods too. The entertainment was great...Music & Dancers all day long. We even saw Bong on stage :)
The weather today in Long Beach is beautiful!!! If you want to have some fun in the sun come on down :)

sorry, I was just going by what I heard,
they said 10 booths of teriyaki chicken, and barely any artists.

I'm sure that could be an exaggeration.

Jeff(btd)

On 2009-08-23 10:35, bigtikidude wrote:
sorry, I was just going by what I heard,
they said 10 booths of teriyaki chicken, and barely any artists.
I'm sure that could be an exaggeration.
Jeff(btd)

Thanks for being a constant source of happiness and optimism
for us ALL,Jeff!
Your posts always contain encouragement and true ohana...
:)

oops!
forgot the sarcasm font....

H

the flower guy was there too-nice stuff, good prices...biggest tiki fest for a few years...good art...good food...good hula...great sounds...don't stay home

We had a really good time at the tiki beach-fest today too. We opted out yesterday because it was raining in the morning where we were, but I'm glad we gave it a shot today, 'cause we were a little skeptical after reading the negative feedback that Jeff "BTD" received. :wink:

It was all blue skies and a nice breeze today, and the atmosphere was great. Lot's of people-watching, and dog-watching too, as the event is near or at the "dog zone" part of the beach. Didn't see Jason from Smokin Tikis, but we did get to visit with Doug Horne of Swamp Fire Lounge and Stacey from Happy Chi Jewelry, and did some swell shopping with both. Picked up some of Crazy Al's earrings too, before heading to Buster's Beach House for the Smokin Menehunes show (great time there as well, but more on that in their thread!)

SIGH. Back to reality now....at least until Mike's B-day party at DTB next weekend. :)

T

My wife and me went to the fest today and, as Tikikitty said, the weather was beautiful and it was a fine day to escape from Burbank for the afternoon. Based on what we read from the flyer, we really weren't expecting to see much of the tiki we're used to seeing so we weren't too disappointed. But the people we spoke to at all the vending booths were very friendly, the entertainment was great and I was able to pick up two of Crazy Al's new Bone Glaze mugs, which was definitely the high light of the day.

We went down for an hour or so...saw some cute little kids hula dancing, ate some teriyaki, saw Crazy Al's Tiki Museum. I had been in past years so I knew what to expect..they should take the "Tiki" out of the title and call it Hawaiian or Pacific Islander Beach Festival. But we had a good time, I picked up a sweet Hinano beer t-shirt and a fishhook pendant, the ladies bought some stuff, and we rode on home.

P.S. why was Hinano sponsoring the event, but there was no Hinano (or beer period) to be had? Damn liquor laws.

H

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and said hello! Swamp Fire and I plan on doing it again next year (just Saturday though). Hopefully the promoter will make it a little more "Tiki" and maybe add some surf and exotica bands for next years line-up.

I went yesterday and had alot of fun..Beautiful weather and alot more vendors than in the past..
Your right all the food was all teriayaki..
The entertainment was great..What can be wrong with 40 retired people playing ukulele and singing classics..Kekei's dancing..All different types of hula and Tahitian dancing..
I liked last year when they had tables with umbrellas and chairs better than sitting in the sand though...
All in all nothing bad to report here..

[ Edited by: slapbass 2009-08-24 10:40 ]

On 2009-08-20 11:42, happychi wrote:

Mrs. Mongoloid is stoked on her watch, she wore it proudly to the Smokin Menehunes show and had to flaunt it to all the other wahines. Dougs art on the wristband makes this buggah always set to Hawaiian Time. Always happy to support the people that bring us smiles!!!

CA

On 2009-08-23 09:52, bigtikidude wrote:
I didn't make it yesterday,....

and said it was the worst they had ever seen it.....
but Crazy Al is there, at least go and see him, then leave.
:wink:
Jeff(btd)

Thanks for the mention Jeff! but wow.. for i guy who was not there....

in fact it was the best fest ever if you were a Pacific Islander family that enjoys celebrating your culture... as skewed as it might be by Mainland traditions...
Local guy complained about the noise and non relevance of 'Hollywood' hula etc...
but it had the biggest stage and most performers as well as audience!

the TBF started as a Hula event and brought on board Tiki people with the success of Oasis. However the Hula community was not to enthusiastic about the change and many vendors are burned out after Oasis. The TBF was forced to move to the weekend after Oasis in it's 6th year? As for Tiki Beach?? the organizers will have to deal with that, but after 9 years you should know what to expect from the Long Beach festival and not project your own cultural desires upon someone else and their party plans..... (Tiki folks have quite a bad rep. for this)

considering all... I did better then expected also and enjoy being one of the only Tiki vendors.... the museum has only one relic ... me...it seems to be there every year... THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT and coming by to get something minus the shipping and saying hello.... rent is paid! nice!!!

[ Edited by: crazy al 2009-08-24 11:46 ]

I don't know about no teriyaki chicken but I do know I had a great time.

Thanks to all that stopped by, it was great seeing some familiar faces show up and swap Tiki Oaisis stories.

Lets do it again next year!!

sorry for being a wet blanket,
I just thought that people might want a reality report,
not a rainbows and unicorns review.
:roll:

if you went and had fun, great for you.
I guess, TC is a if you don't have anything good to say,
shut the fuck up, type of forum now.

Jeff(btd)

The event was ok. I picked up a couple things. There was the ever present touristy crap that shows up at these things. But, Swanpfire and Crazy Al definitely kicked up the quality! I was very disappointed to see that Wikitiki didn't show, I was hoping to score some more shirts! All in all, I wasn't disappointed that I went.
I did miss the Smokin' Menehunes though. :(

Pages: 1 2 62 replies