Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Beach Fest, Long Beach, sat and sun 22nd 23rd

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

T

A few of us went on Sunday, and with the exception Crazy Al and Doug Horne, there were no Tiki vendors. We were very disappointed, as we had cashed in our coin jars. Where was everyone? Still tikied-out from Tiki Oasis?

CA

On 2009-08-19 08:59, crazy al wrote:

Tiki Fest has gone back to it's Hawaiian Hula roots! so come out for some see some great HULA!!!!

Jeff... I think that this, the second post on the thread, plus the fabulous flier you posted was pretty good info as to the nature of this year's event. But keep up the great work informing all. You did post this thing before i did. That was cool.

Did that Bruddah Moki, or whatever that thing with the big rubber head was, make an appearance? I missed it if it did.

S

On 2009-08-24 16:54, bigtikidude wrote:
sorry for being a wet blanket,
I just thought that people might want a reality report,
not a rainbows and unicorns review.
:roll:

if you went and had fun, great for you.
I guess, TC is a if you don't have anything good to say,
shut the fuck up, type of forum now.

Jeff(btd)

"somebody there at the Party said they went to the tiki fest,
and said it was the worst they had ever seen it. "

I think it's still OK to have an opinion here Jeff, but second-hand speculation is just that.

On 2009-08-24 23:36, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Did that Bruddah Moki, or whatever that thing with the big rubber head was, make an appearance? I missed it if it did.

Yeah, it/he/whatever was walking around, scaring kids, and shaking hands when we were there. The poor guy had to hold the head on with his hands most of the time, because it was so tall. :lol:

On 2009-08-24 23:51, squid wrote:

Jeff(btd)

I think it's still OK to have an opinion here Jeff, but second-hand speculation is just that.

Second hand or first hand, as long as the information is correctly relayed, then there is really no difference.

S
squid posted on Tue, Aug 25, 2009 1:21 AM

On 2009-08-25 00:16, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2009-08-24 23:51, squid wrote:

Jeff(btd)

Second hand or first hand, as long as the information is correctly relayed, then there is really no difference.

Fair enough.

So let me rephrase that:

That's someone else's negative opinion you are relaying. We would like to hear YOUR opinion from a first-hand perspective.

T

Cindy , my son and I had a lot of fun . I bought a bamboo blowgun that is dead on . But now I have to find some type of paralizing poison to dip the darts in .
One great thing that happened . We were strolling along and someone noticed the Koa wood Lono necklace I had had carved for Cindy and asked if Crazy Al had carved that for her . What a compliment . :)

I was there and it was fun.I made some good connections.No there were not as many tiki
vendors as we would have liked , but over all it was a blast.The people were all very
friendly and in great moods.Bought a couple more plumeria flower plants for my back
yard and drank alot of Hinano beer ....what more could you ask for .BTW lots of cute
wahines as well .

H

On 2009-08-25 09:04, TIKI-RAY wrote:
Cindy , my son and I had a lot of fun . I bought a bamboo blowgun that is dead on . But now I have to find some type of paralizing poison to dip the darts in .

The traditional way is to start with one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_dart_frog

Or if that's too much trouble, Instructables has some homebrew methods
that have worked well for me: http://www.instructables.com/community/poison-darts/
The poison ivy route is ingenious but a little slow.

And here's some more info from the ever popular Blowguns Northwest:
http://www.blowgunsnorthwest.com/poison.htm

Enjoy!

I only found out about this event after I had our whole trip planned.

Had I known earlier I would have made a good effort to hang out in SoCal a bit longer and give this event a try.

Looks like a bunch of fun! Maybe next year!

We went down on Sunday. Always great to
hear some Hawaiian music live and see some
Hula. Bought some stuff too. Cheers AL! Plus Bruno
got to hang at the dog beach next door and bark his little
ass off. He slept good that night! Good times.

Forgot to take snaps except a couple of us at the end.
Always forget about the camera at the bottom of my pocket.

On 2009-08-24 11:39, crazy al wrote:

....in fact it was the best fest ever if you were a Pacific Islander family that enjoys celebrating your culture... as skewed as it might be by Mainland traditions...
Local guy complained about the noise and non relevance of 'Hollywood' hula etc...
but it had the biggest stage and most performers as well as audience!

the TBF started as a Hula event and brought on board Tiki people with the success of Oasis. However the Hula community was not to enthusiastic about the change and many vendors are burned out after Oasis. The TBF was forced to move to the weekend after Oasis in it's 6th year? As for Tiki Beach?? the organizers will have to deal with that, but after 9 years you should know what to expect from the Long Beach festival and not project your own cultural desires upon someone else and their party plans..... (Tiki folks have quite a bad rep. for this)....

C'Al...As a Pacific Islander, I want to say mahalo. So good you understand. :)

It's back for 2012.
If you can't get to San Diego.

Some would say really bad timing.
but then again,
this is more a Hawaiiana thing,
than Tiki per se

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 2 62 replies