Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Just had to post this pic

Pages: 1 31 replies

Had to. As the blog where I got this said..No simple words can describe this photo.

If you find something like this, feel free.

B

My heart just skipped a beat! Iggy!!!

The good ole days.

For the love of Iggy - that's why we had to make this one.

B

Alrighty ladies...here ya go...

Eddie and Bill. The royalty of big bands...duke and count.

From left, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash

Keith Richards and Gram Parsons at villa Nellcôte while
recording Exile On Main Street.

On 2009-08-20 09:53, Babalu wrote:
Alrighty ladies...here ya go...

You're killing me Babs! I met him back in 81 and got a nice hug with a bun squeeze thrown in. Heaven!

S

Nothing quite like running into Elvis on your flight back from Hawaii in 1968.

T

Smoking on an airplane!

I remember that. I was on a flight back in the 70's once, They had smoking sections on the plane, but if one person lit up, everyone smoked, like it or not. You're sealed in a tube, for Christs sake.
These are all great, keep em coming...I agree with Mrs. Bamboo, those were the good ole days.

Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy

On 2009-08-20 08:11, cheeky half wrote:

Maggie and Mark, how bout a Lux?

CJ

still bums me out

On 2009-08-20 21:31, Mrs Bamboo wrote:

On 2009-08-20 08:11, cheeky half wrote:

Maggie and Mark, how bout a Lux?

Already in the works Mrs Boo. We'll keep ya posted.

S

On 2009-08-21 08:50, sweetpea wrote:

Awesome photo ms pea! Do you know what it's from?

8T

Bud Abbott, Donald O'Connor, Eddie Cantor, Jimmy Durante and Lou Costello

Mickey Rooney & Rod Serling

First concert I went to in the 60's...ah the memories!!!

oooohhhhh, Janice!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Aug 27, 2009 7:34 AM

The Pretty Things!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGHHH!

TikiG

[ Edited by: TikiG 2009-08-27 07:39 ]

My first concert in Tucson. '66 I think. After that, Tucson was great place for music. If they didn't come down here, they played in Phx.

Also like Jt alot. They played here a couple of times.

[ Edited by: drgoat456 2009-08-27 11:15 ]

T

Wow!

I remember a friend telling me about the Yardbirds gig at an old converted grocery store in Riverside, Ca called the Purple Haze, probably during the same tour.

Between sets he talked with Keith, Jimmy and the drummer Jim McCarty. Page I was told was very approachable; Humble to be in California and talking music with die-hard fans. This Riverside gig only had 50 - 100 people attending - can you even image that today?

TikiG,
When the Yardbirds played in Tucson, it was a defunct department store on Speedway Blvd. called Thrift city. About a month or so later, Hendrix played in a closed-down bowling alley about 2 blocks from the old Thrift City. They tore out the lanes and we sat on the floor and he played about where the refreshment stand had been. Maybe 100 or so at that concert too. A few more at the Yardbirds concert because the Turtles played first. We were not there to see the Turtles, regardless to say. Also, Vince Furnier (aka Alice Cooper) used to come down every other weekend and play at a place called the VIP club. They were called the Spiders before he became Alice and they were GREAT! Loud, outstanding Rock n Roll. Another time I recall, Deep purple (the original group) played at the State Fair, in a little tent. There could not have been more than 50 or so people in there. We were maybe 10 feet from them, sitting on the asphalt. They were very cool after the concert and talked to us for a long time and shared a few joints (we provided). Yeah, I got to say, those were the good ole days.
PS. You're friend was lucky, I would have done just about anything to talk to Keith R., or Jimmy or any of the Yardbirds. They were tops in my book.

[ Edited by: drgoat456 2009-08-27 15:34 ]

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Aug 27, 2009 3:51 PM

The Spiders! Great story!

I once had a copy of thier 45 "Don't Blow Your Mind" and traded it to a garage rock fanatic in San Diego in the late 80s. I think I traded it for a mint copy of You're Gonna Miss Me by the Elevators on the Contact label outta Texas..never saw another copy of the Spiders 45 in person though - maybe listed in an auction or two since then.

Great Stuff!

I can't find any pics, but check out this (circa 1969-70?) YT of Delaney, Bonnie & Friends -- "Comin' Home"...

What a band -- Clapton, George Harrison, Carl Radle, Jim Gordon, etc. all "happy" :D together?! What a crazy time!! :wink:

Bambu,
Delaney, B. & Friends were a GREAT group. Saw them in Phoenix only once, around '69. I think. Played with Seals & Crofts. If I remember correctly, Seals & Crofts were booed off the stage, 'cause people wanted to see Delaney, B. & Friends. Not fair, but it was a wild crowd. Same thing happened at a concert up there with The Who, Jimi Hendrix and an opening act I can't remember. That opening act didn't have a chance.
TikiG. Great story about the Spiders 45. I kinda remember it, but I haven't seen a copy of it for 40 years or so. They were a Great band. They opened for Steppenwolf at the local roller rink once.....that was an unbelievable concert. Everyone was pretty pie-eyed, of course. They had a giant wooden vertical roulette wheel type of thing with baby (dolls) tied on the the rim. During one song Vince (alice) started turning the wheel with a large crank...it spun faster & faster until the dolls started shooting out into the audience. Amazing the things you can remember.

(google image)

Pages: 1 31 replies