Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Flaming drinks risk to mugs

Pages: 1 5 replies

I'm just curious if flaming drinks risk cracking or damaging the glaze on mugs. I haven't tried it on any of my mugs, and I'm a bit hesitant to try it out. I recently went to Bahooka in Rosemead, and their flaming drinks are in an ice filled cup. Actually, we inquired about them and they use a glass of ice, with a crouton soaked with lemon extract, then set aflame. If I just pour 151 in a volcano bowl or something, then lit it, would that be bad for the bowl? Thanks!

Ceramic mugs are resistant to flaming, the recessed crater in the top of the volcano bowl is made to be filled with flaming 151 rum. Just be sure your straws are long or your guests will have to lean over the flames to drink.

I have also flamed drinks using a floater of flaming rum, and a rum filled half lime that was hollowed out in the top of the drink.

I have never had any problems.

T

I never had a problem with heat damage by burning 151 in a volcano bowl. But be careful when flaming. I heard one should never light the 151 with a half empty bottle near. The fumes may ignite inside the nearby bottle and cause the bottle to explode.

I was making flaming steak Diane once and had a little accident. It helps to heat the booze a bit before lighting. So I put a small pan on the stove burner and then poured in the cognac from a small measuring cup. Never light the stove first! Right when that cognac hit the pan it ignited and the flame engulfed the cup in my hand as well. If I was holding a bottle it may have ignited the inside of the bottle and I may have ended up in the hospital!

T

I never had a problem with heat damage by burning 151 in a volcano bowl. But be careful when flaming. I heard one should never light the 151 with a half empty bottle near. The fumes may ignite inside the nearby bottle and cause the bottle to explode.

I was making flaming steak Diane once and had a little accident. It helps to heat the booze a bit before lighting. So I put a small pan on the stove burner and then poured in the cognac from a small measuring cup. Never light the stove first! Right when that cognac hit the pan it ignited and the flame engulfed the cup in my hand as well. If I was holding a bottle it may have ignited the inside of the bottle and I may have ended up in the hospital!

I've heard of people using dry ice with a little water in the volcano bowls. I've never tried this in my own bowl (and it's not like I have dry ice just sitting handy in the fridge--much more likely to find 151 at home). I don't know if dry ice would cause damage to glaze.
S.B.

I found this and thought it interesting. Has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Dark Rum Recipe - Babushka

We had an argument if the rum we bought in a shop was pure or not. This is a way of testing it. If water is mixed then rum would not catch fire easily.

INGREDIENTS :Dark Rum - 20ml Match Box (Source of Fire)

PREPARATION :Take the 20ml of raw rum in a very small cup (The size of the cap of Old Monk Rum). Light a match stick and apply the flame to the rum in the cup. Place the burning match stick on the rum directly. Take care so that only the fire of the match stick touches the rum, and not the entire match stick. Once the rum catches fire.. wait for 3 to 5 seconds. Now its ready. Let the rum flow directly into the throat.

Pages: 1 5 replies