Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Trader Vic's Chicago - Website False Tiki Hour Specials

Pages: 1 5 replies

I was in Chicago about three weeks ago and took my wife and in-laws to Trader Vic's Chicago. I looked online to see what specials they were offering well in advance so we could plan our trip. On their website:
http://www.tradervicschicago.com/tiki_hour.html
I found the following information:
Tiki Tuesday
On Tiki Tuesdays enjoy the bartender’s “drink of the day”. After all, they have 76 to
choose from on our menu. And, receive a complimentary Trader Vic’s Chicago glass.
Each subsequent refill is just $7-$9, depending on the drink of the day. A lot of fun and
a great Trader Vic’s tradition. One glass per customer.

After traveling all that way, we found out that they are not honoring that promotion. What a disappointment traveling all that way from Michigan for nothing. We wanted to get a souvenir of our night out and ended up with disappointment. I have since sent several e-mails to various people at Trader Vic's Chicago and have yet to receive a response. Very disappointing! I personally would not recommend going there in hopes of getting something they advertise on their Tiki Hour special list. If they are not honoring it, then take it off of your site. I was told that they did not sell any souvenirs either. I guess I will take my business elsewhere.

After 5 years of Tiki Central, the name "Tiki-Man" was still available? Amazing.

Forget emails. Print out the webpage showing the "Tiki Tuesday" promotion and send it to them with a polite letter explaining what happened. If you still have a receipt from the evening, send a copy of that as well. Ask them to send you the Trader Vic’s Chicago glass.

Trader Vic's Chicago
1030 N. State Street
Chicago IL 60610

If that goes nowhere, send another set off to their corporate office.

Remember, the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Hmmm, while actually, in my book, the squeeky wheel gets replaced. So tread carefully.

a simple phone call ahead of time to verify the specials were being honored would have saved the trip and the dissapointment....in a perfect world websites are always kept up to speed and current....this is sadly not the case..we assume that the bigger the corporation, the more they have their shit together..the opposite is usually truer. good luck!!

R

Everything was cool there in July but I found out that Adam was let go as the manager and that several others went with him. Not sure who is running the show there now. Any updates from the local ohana would be appreciated.

C
croe67 posted on Mon, Sep 7, 2009 4:25 PM

We spent about 5 hours there this past weekend on Sunday night.

Highlight of the evening:
When the bartender came to take our first drink order, he slapped down an OHANA Luau at the Lake/Trader Vic's coaster in front of each of us.
Made my day!!
:D :D

Overall, our visit was a bit mixed.......
1st drink was marginal, but all subsequent drinks were much better.
They were completely out of Menehune swizzles (a bummer), but MaiTai glasses were well-stocked :)

Appetizers in the bar were all good.

In the dining room the Chinese Oven was not being utilized AT ALL, which was a real bummer. There were probably 35-40 people in the dining room - not full (holiday weekend, Sunday night), but not using the Chinese Oven? Just didn't feel "right". How are they cooking their "Chinese oven specialties" on the menu without the oven fired-up?

My steak was WAY overcooked & wasn't great.
One of the curry garnishes was left empty on a friend's dish because they were out of it?
The dessert wasn't as good as in the past either. (always great in the past...)

Is about my 6th visit to the new Vic's Chicago. Feels like things are slipping. Noticeably so. I hope when the economy turns around that the quality will get back to where this location started. ....or preferably before..... Food was absolutely FABULOUS on all prior visits. I wonder if they have had some turnover in the kitchen, too? My latest meal would indicate that is highly likely...

Pages: 1 5 replies