Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The good and bad of Tiki archeology

Pages: 1 28 replies

Well I guess some folks get it and most don't. I have passed by a very small travel agency in an equally small town hundreds of times. This summer I noticed some carvings in the window as I passed by. I turned around and pulled into the parking lot. The place was closed so I looked into the windows. Through the glass I saw a four and a half foot tall Lono carved Tiki, obviously very old. Also a small bamboo and thatched hut in one corner covered in dust. Many other carvings and drums, masks and other interesting things hanging here and there in fishing nets. They even had a bar made from two rum barrels in one corner. All of this stuff crammed into a very small space with little stone enclosed gardens of plastic plants. You can't even get past the stuff to check out anything farther back. The back office was bamboo floor to ceiling. Great right? Well I thought I would stop in when they were open and have a chat. Well long story short I spoke to the owner and had a five minute visit. I was polite and courteous. I explained that I had noticed the interior of her business and would like to ask a few questions about the history of the business. I explained in layman's terms that my hobby was documenting "Tiki" in the area. She looked me up and down and asked "why would you be doing that?". I smiled and told her it was something I do in my spare time and asked if any of the decor may have come from the areas closed Polynesian restaurants and showed her some photos of the areas long gone restaurants. She said no and that all the stuff was bought her father years ago. And that was the entire history of all the items. I asked very politely if I could take a photo of the large Tiki and the reply was "I don't care but I think it's kinda weired". I took the photo, thanked her for her time and left. Five minutes in and out. No back ground history. Just an awkward five minutes. Most of the folks I have talked to about our hobby and have asked questions about their business or past business have been more than happy that someone cares about the history. Other folks don't care or think you have some kind of scam going on. I'm not bitching about the experience. Just thought I'd tell the story of a strike-out. Sometimes Tiki archeology is good sometimes it's bad. I'll just keep digging. Thanks.

Trav, Thanks for taking one for the team!

I wonder if after you left... as she sat there with little travel arrangements to make and all... if she then "got it". You were kinda out of the blue. She hadn't seen the display herself for decades; her head was somewhere else. (Wondering when the internet would go out of business and travel agency business would return?!) OK, that was unkind.

There is always one good way to explain: Show them the Book of Tiki, or Tiki Modern. When I began my research in the early nineties, I encountered a lot of crabby, suspicious old timers that thought I was nuts, and I had nothing to show for it. A printed book always makes an inquest more respectable. There wasn't even a terminology established back then, so I came up with descriptive terms like "Polynesian pop" and "Tiki Style" --not that this lady would understand them even now. To this day we here at TC are a minority, and most folks out there don't know nuthin' bout our silly lil hobby. It should not make you feel "weird" when you get judged as such, but proud! Give them a knowing, friendly smile, and photograph the heck out of what they got, while you're there, and as long as its there. I wanna see pics now! :D

I've had apartment managers curse me and kick me out of the complex as soon as they saw I had a camera. I'm sure they thought I was a lawyer or someone hired by a tenant to document the poor living conditions. Explaining what I was doing only made it worse.

Other managers have given me the full guided tour of the complex and shown me where all the hidden tikis lurked.

Being friendly and patient helps, but you never know what you're going to get when you do urban archeology.

Sven. I was going to take the Tiki Bible with me at first but opted for local scripture instead hoping that it may have opened up the conversation a bit more being of a local nature. Next time I'll bring it along also. I only got the shot of the Tiki as the vibe I got from the owner was not good and I wanted to leave on a good note for my part. As I said I was polite and thanked her for her time. I did leave a card with my name and number so maybe I'll get a curious call back but it probably was put into file 13 (the trash). This is not how they all go I would say most of my field trips have been great.

Next time you need to book a trip, maybe you could go there and see if you can give them some business. Maybe it'll open the door a little more,... and make you seem less weird to her. :)

Actually my wife booked our honeymoon trip through them about five years ago. I just found this out or I would have brought that up. This was before she knew much about the hobby. As for booking a trip now, the work situation her in MI has put a hold on everything but groceries.

On 2009-08-28 12:44, uncle trav wrote:
"...As for booking a trip now, the work situation her in MI has put a hold on everything but groceries."

OK, then it's on to Plan B. Get her drunk.

On 2009-08-28 12:47, Limbo Lizard wrote:

OK, then it's on to Plan B. Get her drunk.

That I could make possible, the bar is still stocked from before the work dried up.

Perhaps we can have a bunch of "Urban Archaeologist" IDs/badges made up.

If they are official looking enough, maybe people will give us more access to things. :)

that tiki happens to be the largest one of the united airlines tikis made back in the day....i was fortunate to find one..many travel agency's had them and they were also placed in airport displays....they are quite sought after......i suspect some enterprizing tiki enthusiast is already trying tio figure out how to relieve this woman of her tiki and whatever else she may have ...and this is truely the downside of tiki archeology....we all want to share our stories and we all want the places we discover them to remain unaltered for all to see and enjoy....but people have collections to feed and smell money on ebay so as soon as something is posted, the sharks are on the move...uncle trav, you should try to rescue this tiki for yourself....you discovered it. also, don't forget other non tiki folk patrol this website just to get clued in to what's hot and rare....anything we share about rare items here is scrutinized.

Here's one of the calling cards I use. I blocked out my personal info for the post. Printed on heavy card stock and a bit bigger than a standard business card so hopefully it won't get lost in the shuffle. Every little bit helps. I left one of these on my last trip.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-08-28 13:59 ]

The Tiki is carved wood. At least I think it is. I thought all the United Tikis are resin covered foam. Could you post a pic of yours for comparison Tipsy?

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-08-28 13:58 ]

On 2009-08-28 13:44, uncle trav wrote:
Here's one of the calling cards I use....

You are such a weirdo! :wink:

The danger with showing the book is that the ignorant subject's suspicious reaction of "What is his ulterior motive in this?" might immediately switch to "This stuff is collectable and I will get thousands on Antique Roadshow for it, and this guy is trying to cheat me out of it!"

But hopefully there is a measured reaction somewhere inbetween.

i will eat my hat if that thing is made of wood...although i have been wrong before....a picture of my tiki would not allow you to feel it and if you did you would see mine is also foam, with a resin shell over it....if yours is wood, this is the find of the century cause that would mean this might be the original tiki that they made the mold for the foam ones from.....

incidentally there is a statuary company in chicago that makes these for $400 apiece and they are knock-offs made from a cast of one of the original foam tikis...blatant rip-off, but you can imagine what an original foam or wood would bring in.....

There is a local "Mobile Home Estates" that still has some Polynesian decor left over from the 60s. I got the same treatment when I went in and asked the manager about it: she looked at me like I was weird and "didn't know nuthin'"

H

[ Edited by: hottiki 2011-03-16 23:19 ]

T

I came across an apartment on Reseda in the Valley and snuck in the gate when someone walked out. I tried my best to look like I lived there but the locals knew. I got out my phone and pretended I was talking to someone, like I was waiting for someone there. It worked so I always do that now when I'm checking out a tiki place. I also have to do that when dumpster diving for veg oil behind restaraunts for my veg car. A smaller travel place like this, probably wouldn't work though. You should see the looks I get when I ask if I can have their used kitchen grease! It doesn't help when they look at my tiki necklace!

Of course we are only hearing one side of the story. Perhaps your approach was awkward, odd or you just gave off a weird vibe with people. With the amount of wack jobs, pervs & nuts I can't blame the real estate woman for giving you the once over.
Some people don't come off as smooth as they think, and need help in their social skills.

Also, just because you think tiki art is so special doesn't mean other highly intelligent people are paying attention to it or care. Change your approach and you will be more successful.

Trav don't need no help within' his social skills... he be smooth as possum grease!

Hi again uncle, I'm missing something here. Not to be too primal - but cash usually wakes them up, or you get kicked out! It is your duty as an urban archaeologist to secure such items. She may shet-can the stuff! Go Spartans! My old school. Your a 4.0 Dude, Uncle. Mahalo... from an old Detroit City Boy

Thanks guys.

I hope that this rare experience of mine does not deter other folks from going out and looking for history in their own areas. The good field trips far out way the bad. It never hurts to ask questions. You may get shot down or you may have a person who loves to chat about the past. Personally I don't think my approach is that bad. I had one gentleman open up his closed bar (Mai Kai Lounge) and let me photograph inside for nearly an hour and had a great visit with him and found out some history. As for Tiki Archeology, saving items is a big part of it as allot of folks on TC know. As for my last field trip I don't think the decor is in any danger as it has been there for at least forty years now. I did not offer to buy anything. Personally don't think offering to buy items straight off gets the conversation rolling very smooth. I'm laid off from work at the moment and couldn't afford a Leilani mug. The owner stated that all the items were purchased by her father years ago and since they have remained with the business all these years I'm sure they have sentimental value. I went in looking for a little history and a back story which is worth a trip in it's own right. I did leave a card with my name and number on it, no pressing to buy anything, took a couple of pics said thanks and left. She may get curious and call and maybe not. You win some and you lose some.

M

Trav-
Maybe you could post the location of this place in case any of the rest of us nearby want to do a drive-by?

• a drive-by looting, perhaps? :D No, but some photos of the hut display in the window would be nice.

Trav,
Absolutely right attitude. About leaving your name and number: In all my years of experience in the field (close to 17 now), I am afraid to report that that hardly ever happens. You can play the carefree, no pressure "call me when you feel like it" card, or beg them with the stern, heavy "you MUST call me if you ever decide to close and let go of the decor" plea --they never do. They don't keep your number, they forget, they don't wanna bother ...or they take you as a weirdo, as mentioned before. :)

All this does not mean one should not try, always! Success stories like Taboo Dan's Tropic Isle garage full of mug boxes shall be the inspiration for all urban archeologists to persist in their quest. And as you rightly pointed out, Trav, this not a quest for material goods, but for knowledge, since all these "artifacts" are worthless without their context. It is the stories that imbue them with mana.

On 2009-08-29 03:00, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Trav don't need no help within' his social skills... he be smooth as possum grease!

That's the truth there Bongo! Nobody is more polite than my brother, he still calls people Sir and Mame.

And I say Tiki Schmiki, I want that gold cat!

Good hunting Uncle Trav, I really enjoyed the story.

W

At least you tried and got a picture of the tiki out of it. Better luck next time.

Come on McStagger, let's see a picture to compare.

Duke Carter wrote a very nice article about that company that made those plastic Tikis in Tiki Magazine.

Pages: 1 28 replies