Name:Diamond Head
Type:restaurant
Street:96 Broadway (Route 1)
City:Saugus
State:MA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
The Diamond Head restaurant was located on the famous Route 1 strip in Saugus, not to far from the Kowloon restaurant. I came across this matchbook.

And this menu.

Could not find much else, would like to hear more about this place.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2009-08-30 17:02 ]

Found This short description.

"The Diamond Head Restaurant, now closed, was famous for its huge triangle entrance. The structure was supposed to recreate some sort of Asian architecture, but ended up looking more like a bloated teepee. Inside the staff served food to go along with the MSG. The Diamond Head had a reputation as a breeding ground for future alcoholics, although one could argue that the mountains of MSG had a far more deleterious effect."

Sounds pretty cool. Also the image from the back of the matchbook looks like it was lifted from the Dobb's House Luau menu. Great find.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-08-30 12:24 ]

Trav,

I saw that story on-line and was hesitant to include it, what with the MSG overload and the alcoholics! Would love to hear more about this place.

DC

Hmm, It might be the spot where Polcari's is now.

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2009-08-30 11:50 ]

Hi DC, I know you follow my husbands ebay buys...
the matchcover arrived only yesterday, and it added to our collection from that location. I had to pipe in because you have shown the inside of our other two menus not connected to this location as these are from a different state.(Which I will update later)
Here is the postcard and matchcover

back of postcard

Diamond Head Saugus Mass Menu
this is a six page dinner and drink menu. ( Insides shown above on dc post are not this menu.)

drinks pg 1

drinks pg 2

drinks pg 3

Aloha Jackie

On 2009-08-30 11:48, The Granite Tiki wrote:
Hmm, It might be the spot where Polcari's is now.

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2009-08-30 11:50 ]

That's the spot. Nothing left ,by looking at the Google street view anyway.

T

The only thing I have from Diamond Head:

Pa'akiki,

Thanks for the clarification on the different Diamond Head menus, will edit the post to correct that. Glad to see you posted the other location. Congrats on getting the matchbook, and that is a great postcard, nice to see the interior.

Tikisgrl,

I knew you would have something from this place.

Trav,

Check the menu cover, the A-frame does not look like a "bloated teepee"!

DC

The Diamond Head sign was a fantastic part of childhood drives up Rt. 1. There were so many great ones, but the Diamond Head sign really stood out because of its crazy font that looked like it was lifted from a Ventures cover. Really impressive, and I've been looking for pics of it for years. So many cool signs went down in a sort period during the mid 90s on that strip, replaced with monotonous, badly designed junk. Sigh. At least Kowloon hangs on!

The Diamond Head sign was a fantastic part of childhood drives up Rt. 1. There were so many great ones, but the Diamond Head sign really stood out because of its crazy font that looked like it was lifted from a Ventures cover. Really impressive, and I've been looking for pics of it for years. So many cool signs went down in a sort period during the mid 90s on that strip, replaced with monotonous, badly designed junk. Sigh. At least Kowloon hangs on!

S

Diamond Head! Very cool for me to catch this post. My Dad took us to Diamond Head every Friday night as kids. Those match booklets were in my house. He's been gone 3 years now...thanks for the pictures and the memories!

Gold sparkle swizzle stick from the Diamond Head.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2019-04-30 08:49 ]

Cool swizzle. Here are a couple of nice Jackson China platters from the Diamond Head restaurant.

DC

Scott, I love those dishes.

Pages: 1 13 replies