Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tommy Bahama Rum

Pages: 1 2 50 replies

Picked this up today at the liquor store for about $30, cool mug and packaging, haven't tried the rum...

On 2009-08-31 16:06, mfachman wrote:

haven't tried the rum...

don't...

What is wrong/bad with the rum? Please tell us more, Thanks!

A

I'd say Tommy Bahama is no better/worse than Bacardi Superior. The difference is that while Bacardi goes for about $12/750 ml, Tommy Bahama goes for about $25/750 ml. Double the the price for no better rum than your run-of-the-mill Bacardi -- which isn't so great to begin with. On a happier note, the mug looks cool.

UJ

I'd buy it for the mug and use the rum to serve to guests w/out discriminating tastes, or use it in rum & cokes. Either way, cool looking mug!

On 2009-09-01 06:50, TikiGoddess wrote:

How can anything with the name TOMMY BAHAMA be any good for us folks here?

On 2009-09-01 06:50, TikiGoddess wrote:

On 2009-09-01 08:41, arriano wrote:
I'd say Tommy Bahama is no better/worse than Bacardi Superior. The difference is that while Bacardi goes for about $12/750 ml, Tommy Bahama goes for about $25/750 ml. Double the the price for no better rum than your run-of-the-mill Bacardi -- which isn't so great to begin with.

Nicely put. TB White Sand tastes hot and chemically to me; same w/ Bacardi products. Better off using is as an odor-lifter from fabrics. And I'd actually go a step further and say neither are a good as Cruzan Silver for mixing.

RR

For a short time my local dive bar was using it for their well rum. It's so bad I chose their normal gut-rot rum.

White Bacardi has dominated the Rum market for so many years, decades really, that it seems that Liquor makers -and the consumer- have lost all connection to what rum: R-U-M, is supposed to taste like. Consequently, 90% of all new designer rums completely miss the point, in my opinion. Tommy Bahama is one of the most blatant failures, because they push their stuff soooo much ...and are so off the mark.

I guess rum discussions belong in TIKI DRINKS, but as for Bacardi, their history is all about NOT having an interesting flavor. Mixability for what we call cocktails is Don Facundo Bacardi Masso's claim to fame. Now if their products taste like metallic chemicals to you I guess it's not very mixable. (Oh, and Bacardi 8 is pretty good stuff.)

Right, Bongo. Bacaradi's ads for the last fifty or sixty years have been all about mixed drinks (like Daiquiris) and not about "Wow, that's a good rum!"

You can tell Tommy Bahama knows what they're talking about when the packaging calls it a "Tiki Cup" instead of a "Tiki Mug".

M

I just want the "Tiki Cup" but my local Tommy Bahama has never heard of it.

M

On 2009-09-07 20:30, MauiTiki wrote:
I just want the "Tiki Cup" but my local Tommy Bahama has never heard of it.

You can't get it at Tommy Bahama stores, just liquor stores. My dads in distribution and got a few for me from an associate of his who had a few loose out of packaging.

The "Tiki Cup" gift box showed up in New Hampshire this week for $18.

T

On 2009-11-28 18:24, rev_thumper wrote:
The "Tiki Cup" gift box showed up in New Hampshire this week for $18.

Were you able to convince them that the rum would offend you but the "cup" was okay?

So far, can't find it in Texas...at leaste the Dallas area...but my search continues..if anyone has a lead, please pass it on....8)

Saw this product at Bevmo in Roseville. CA. I am pretty sure Santa will be bringing it. $26. I want the 'cup' and I'll mix the 'rum' with banana rum and various tropical juices and coconut milk and call it a drink. I'm too poor to be a rum snob, though I do like the good stuff and appreciate it when I'm served it! So I'll make due with the TB 'rotgut rum'-after a few (very) mixed drinks I figure I won't care that much!!

And I'm really not saying anyone is a snob. You have good taste and the resources to buy the good stuff for regular consumption. My good stuff is reserved for guests and I make due with, well, not so good stuff!

:drink:
Tacky

RB

Picked up a gift pack at the BevMo in Fremont, CA yesterday. I'll use the rum for something (maybe a punch), but what I really wanted was the mug!

Any clues who made the mug? It looks Tiki-Farm-ish; better quality than most.

H

I found mine today in elyria Ohio. Its made in China : (

hombre, do ya think you can give up a little more info other than,elyria,Ohio on where you found the TB rum and mug ?

H

Hey Tiki David. You know I have never looked at the name of the shop but I think it is:

Elyria Liquor & Beverageý -
1063 East Broad Street, Elyria, OHý - (440) 365-0821ý

I work down that way. Do you want me to pick you up a set on Monday after work. We can meet up somewhere for the hand over. Just let me know.

Is there another set like the white sand rum but with golden sun rum and maybe a different mug? Check out the back of the box...the recipes. And the box is generic for either kind of rum. I'm just curious if anyone has found another gift box with a different mug...I mean cup.

Tacky

On 2009-09-01 09:23, Unkle John wrote:
I'd buy it for the mug and use the rum to serve to guests w/out discriminating tastes, or use it in rum & cokes. Either way, cool looking mug!

ditto...gonna hit up bevmo :)

R

bevmo in manhattan beach has 20+ in stock.. i bought one this morning!!

I can't stand it any longer: WHY on earth is everybody getting so into finding an ugly "pineapple head" Tiki mug inscribed with the name of a third grade designer rum that has to be covered by a closely placed mug on the mug shelf to avoid embarrassment, with the rum being the even more expendable part ? :o

On 2009-12-26 17:29, bigbrotiki wrote:
I can't stand it any longer...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

i really like squirrels, but it's like buying a box of squirrel shit

RR

I like that the mug is microwave safe so when I microwave my Mai Tais it doesn't explode.

On 2009-12-27 08:55, Rob Roy wrote:
I like that the mug is microwave safe so when I microwave my Mai Tais it doesn't explode.

Dammit,
I was going to say that....

RB

WHY on earth is everybody getting so into finding an ugly "pineapple head" Tiki mug inscribed with the name of a third grade designer rum that has to be covered by a closely placed mug on the mug shelf to avoid embarrassment, with the rum being the even more expendable part ?

Well, I'll fully admit to being a sucker sometimes, and this is one of those times... :)

at least it's not plastic and multi-colored!!! But it is UGLY!!!! And I saw it on ebay for $75! Better than my Harvey's bucket mugs!

Tacky

there's one up right now on e-bay, mug only for 9.99 on bid...... and you won't feel bad about the lousy brand rum

It's a pretty good bet that one (or more) will turn up at the Thrifts in a few months. I figure it's worth about a buck to me!

Honestly it kind of bothers me sometimes how critical people are of others and their opinions on this site regarding what to collect. The fact is that this is a newer mug that in all likely hood will create more interest in the hobby of mug collecting than a $200 limited edition mug of 50 that only 2 people can afford.

Whether or not you like Tommy Bahama, they are creating interest in our hobby. This mug will likely be the first of many mugs for a new collector and that is a good thing.

I don't like people who bitch and don't bother to give a better solution, either.

So:

The Tommy Bahama mug is worth just about what silverline quoted, so don't spend more than that. It will do, in a pinch, to hand out a parties to clumsy, drunk friends.

If you're willing to spend a little more (and I do mean only a couple bucks more, in some cases), go to Tiki Farm and get yourself a mug worth collecting. Holden makes some damn fine mugs and sells them for practically nothing.

On 2009-12-29 20:36, mfachman wrote:
Honestly it kind of bothers me sometimes how critical people are of others and their opinions on this site regarding what to collect.

Funny thing is, it bothers me how UN-critical most of the people on this site are, and how they stay mum when crap like this is getting undue attention because they are fearful that SOMEBODY might feel "bothered" if they voice their opinion. Which renders a non-commercial site like this pretty much useless, because if it shall just be an "everything goes","!f you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" love fest here, the love for the true art and special quality of Tiki goes out the window.

On 2009-12-29 21:35, Haole'akamai wrote:

I don't like people who bitch and don't bother to give a better solution, either.

A solution to what? All I am saying is let people collect what they want without being a elitist about the hobby.

H

I know in my case. I can go into a thrift store 100 times and might find 1 item in those 100 visits. "Finding" stuff on ebay and tikifarm.com just is not as exciting. Yeah, this is a crappy blue made in China mug with a fairly crappy rum but at least I "found" it. No it won't go on the high shelf with the expensive mugs both past and present but it will be in my bar somewhere. Most likely will be the one I let Big Jim use when he visits as he is a pain in the ass and gets to drunk and clumsy. So if it gets broke, no big deal.

The solution to this problem might be we get after Tommy Bahama and make sure they get their next run of mugs from Tiki Farm. That email was the first one I sent when I opened the box and saw the mug was from China.

On 2009-12-30 08:01, hombre wrote:
That email was the first one I sent when I opened the box and saw the mug was from China.

Hate to tell ya, but that's where the Farm's mugs are being made, too. :)

H

UGHHH

LOL I can't win!

And about that "elitist" generalization, if you you want un-elitist, go and type "Tiki" into Google, and you can find countless blogs that will eagerly share their opinion about what they see as Tiki.

Tiki Central is still the one place where people with passion and years of experience in the field share their findings and opinions, raise questions, and (try to) start intelligent discussions about the art form. I feel a responsibility to those valuable contributors and their work, and if something as pedestrian as this subject here gets the same attention as, let's say the Kono Luanii Room post, I see an adjustment of focus is in order. There is a big difference between being "elitist" and sharing and educated opinion. And it is the great freedom of an internet forum that that educated opinion can be shared in a more subjective, humorous manner than being purely didactic and politically over-sensitive.

On 2009-12-30 08:34, bigbrotiki wrote:

There is a big difference between being "elitist" and sharing and educated opinion.

Agreed, but...

One of your previous posts in this thread you said, "... WHY on earth is everybody getting so into finding an ugly "pineapple head" Tiki mug inscribed with the name of a third grade designer rum that has to be covered by a closely placed mug on the mug shelf to avoid embarrassment, with the rum being the even more expendable part?"

Sounds an awful lot like an elitist and belittling comment to me. Am I to infer that the educated opinion is of the same third grade level you suggest of designer?

I enjoy this site and I do enjoy the exchanging of information and opinions, but this "humor" as you call it just mean spirited in my opinion.

I know.....when it comes to bad Tiki and bad rum, I can be a mean mother! :( Sigh.

YA know BRO,
You are missing a great opportunity here.
you could offer up a "Big Bro approved" sticker
to all 'TIKI' related manufacturers
they summit their products to YOU, and you approve or disapprove.
giving the authority to attach a "B.B. APROVED" sticker to the item.
they,of course, would try harder to produce only quality items set to your standards. thus raising the bar,and in the end saving all of us 'uneducated' collectors the embarrassment of buying crap.
just a thought.

Warning, the following comment is an opinion (apologies to Wayne Coombs and probably many TC members):

Personally, I have a thing against pineapples on Tikis. To me, it's just so ascetically lame, sorry. Pairing that up with a bad rum just makes things worse (for me... not necessarily you).

On 2009-12-30 10:06, Hakalugi wrote:
Warning, the following comment is an opinion (apologies to Wayne Coombs and probably many TC members):

Personally, I have a thing against pineapples on Tikis. To me, it's just so ascetically lame, sorry. Pairing that up with a bad rum just makes things worse (for me... not necessarily you).

I have to agree with you there, I like this mug OK, but it would be much cooler if it ditched the pineapple. I really dislike when on a carving the pineapple is painted and that becomes the focal point. This is not to speak badly on the fine juices of the pineapple, which are of course delicious. :)

Pages: 1 2 50 replies