Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

witco kon tiki

Pages: 1 5 replies

G

I have an opportunity to buy a kon tiki minus the outrigger.

Is the outrigger a big deal? could I fashion one myself?

Could some one post a photo of it?

Thanks

I picked this up not to long ago, I don't know if it's "The Kon Tiki" but it has an outrigger part on it. I asked around for some info on the piece but no one seemed to know much about it other than it is a Witco and it is a outrigger boat. If this is what your looking for let me know and I'll post better pictures of the outrigger for you, with the measurements of the part. It doesn't look like it would be a complicated piece to duplicate.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-04-15 12:36 ]

G
gonzo posted on Tue, Apr 15, 2003 2:07 PM

Yup thats a kon tiki.

Yes photos and measurements would help.

Thanks!!!!

Dave errr gonzo

D

I can't get to it today, I'll get you the info tomorrow :)

K Dave, here are the measurments for you: length 46 inches, circumference in the center is 5 1/2, the carved ends are about 4 inches long, and their circumference is 4 1/4. I hope this has helped. I don't know if your familiar with this board but there are a quite a few amazing carvers who post here, they might be able to help you out with the carving, you can contact them through the memberslist by just sending them a private message or an email. Keigs20 is Bill Westenhaver's (Witco) granson-in-law, and has taken him under his wing and taught him the ways of Witco, here is some of his stuff on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2824206668&category=20157 maybe he can help you out with the carving. I read in a previous post that swamp cedar is the wood Witco liked to use. Here is the link to the thread about carving it has all of our brilliant carvers giving tips in it. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=1605&forum=1&start=0 Good luck, I hope this made sense to you because all I have done is confuse myself - Dawn :tiki:

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-04-16 22:26 ]

G
gonzo posted on Thu, Apr 17, 2003 9:09 AM

Thanks again.

I think I can make that easy enough.

Pages: 1 5 replies