Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

extinct anaheim book 2nd printing

Pages: 1 13 replies

okay it been about a month and i have yet to hear from or see the book "extinct anaheim" I ordered.......anyone else recieve theirs yet?? ..or not recieve theirs and paid already??

maybe the book went extinct....

TT

Where did you order it? I hope the printer is just lagging, or maybe it's being printed in Italy, where they take vacation for the month of August.

Anyway, let us know if you get it-that sounds like a good book, assuming it's about midcentury wonders that have met the wrecking ball. Googie and all that.

:drink:
Tacky

T

You should be getting yours soon since I just got mine last week. As I understand it, there were some issues with the quality of the initial books themselves so they had to do another print run. The book is great, though. It's jam-packed with tons of photos, mainly from postcards and paper ephemera. A very cool and substantive reference source and a nice drive-by down memory lane, Katella Avenue style.

CJ

what is this book you speak of? I can't find it with any search engine

T

Take a look here, CocoJoe:

http://www.anaheimvacationland.com/

CJ

On 2009-09-07 23:01, Tobor64 wrote:
Take a look here, CocoJoe:

http://www.anaheimvacationland.com/

That's what I thought it must be..looks amazing! I grew up in Anaheim and went to church at Melodyland so I know the area well.

T

If you want a copy of the book you may want to order one soon. It sounds like they sell out rather quickly.

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Sep 8, 2009 7:41 AM

I've seen a copy of the original book, first printing and it is amazing! I can imagine this new revised edition. I'll buy a copy soon I'm sure.

Back in the early 90s between loves and steady jobs (mostly in Anaheim) I lived in a few of those googie motels, paying weekly rent. All run-down roach motels at that point in history, many run by Asians that could barely speak English and occupied by single parent family's, drug addicts, barely surviving down-and-outers and gang members. Everything well hidden and pushed aside by your typical Orange County neighborhood mindset people.

West Ave, Katella Ave and Harbor Blvd.

This was when Disneyland still had the parking lot out front. Anaheim was in turmoil politically. Googie architecture was being ripped apart wholesale. Luckily I documented some of that by photographs and mini VHS tapes.

Bittersweet memories! Character building experience for me and I wouldn't exchange those experiences for anything else..looking back now.

Amazing where life takes us on our journeys, isn't it? :wink:

T

Would love to see your photos, TikiG.

Got my copy in the post a few days back. They exist and are enroute to you.

A

Looking at the photos I can't help but feel a bit sad. When I was a very young boy in the late 1960s/early 1970s growing up in LA, a trip to Disneyland seemed like an endless drive on a freeway through a forest of orange groves. Now it's just crappy mini-malls and crappy tract homes. Is there even a single orange grove still in Orange County?

there are a couple little Orange groves here and there around Anaheim and OC.
but I don't think they are really for oranges for sale.
they look like neglected and sickly.

Jeff(btd)

There is a great video (somewhere) in Disney archives, where Walt is walking through an orange grove, counting/measuring his footsteps.
That was the future "Main Street" of Disneyland.
You could almost see the dreams and thoughts streaming through his head.
A great moment in time.
I also miss the orange groves too.

Pages: 1 13 replies