Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

A new chapter for SHAG

Pages: 1 45 replies

Didn't know where to post this, in General, Marketplace or Collecting, but I think the most interesting aspect of this article is that Josh Agle is going in a new direction with his work. I'm looking forward to it:

"Looks like it’s last call at the epic art party between gallery owner Billy Shire and artist Josh Agle, aka Shag. Billy Shire Fine Arts in Culver City is hosting a “Shag Swap Meet” on September 12th to purge the gallery of all reminders of the retro cool it helped popularize after a falling out between the two titans of the lowbrow art world.

Shire has been exhibiting the works he once described as “modswingingsixtiesratpackagogoloungelizardwatusiwarriors” since 1996 and has long been one of Shag’s biggest supporters. The owner of La Luz de Jesus gallery even wrote the introduction to Shag: The Art of Josh Agle. “It was always,” says Shire, “a handshake deal.”

When the artist decamped for a competing Culver City gallery, Shag said it was “like breaking up with a long time girlfriend” but hoped his relationship with Shire could remain amicable."

I wish the best for both of them, but it kinda reminds me of an old friend who left his spouse in the middle of an argument only to come back and find his belongings donated to the Salvation Army.

Once the paintings, prints, toys, mugs, charms, barstools (Shire once said Shag was the “most merchandised artist since Peter Max”) are sold, it won’t be the end of Shag but a reinvention. “I’ll be exhibiting new work at Corey Helford in November” he told us. “The paintings will be much larger, darker in color and theme, and more personal. I don't know how much they'll appeal to the typical ‘Shag-fan.’ Who knows? Maybe I'm committing double career suicide by changing galleries and style.”

from L.A. MAGAZINE'S Buzz Cut Blog

Hooray!
Way to go Shag!
Shedding the old skin
preparing for the new...
i just hope he keeps that sly humor with him
in this new phase of creating...
in Anthony Storr's book "Churchill's Black Dog,Kafka's Mice and other Phenomena of the Human Mind"
the author discusses 3 stages of creative/artistic development..
the apprentice/study phase
the mastery phase
and finally, a reassessment phase-a self-study leading to further growth
and sometimes a 90 degree change of style/medium/theme.....
After the skills have been mastered and he settles into his hard-earned position
the artist feels a need for introspection and examination and evolution...
This is the most fascinating period for an artist
because it sheds off material gain,popular support,and old foundations..
It's kind of like a CREATIVE mid-life crisis..
the eternal question of what is success?
is it making tons of money and isolating friends and family
or is it the joy,the liberation of creation itself?
I haven't been this excited about anything SHAG in a loooong time!
i do hope he still dabbles with the Tiki theme,tho!
:)

K

I figured something was up since Shagmart News hasn't been updated since April. Best wishes to Shag as he works out a new style.

Any thoughts about what this means: “The paintings will be much larger, darker in color and theme, and more personal." Does any of his recent work give hints about what this will look like?

“The paintings will be much larger, darker in color and theme, and more personal.

Hmmmmm.... My guess is life sized naked portraits on black velvet.

[ Edited by: tiki shark art 2009-09-10 02:16 ]

On 2009-09-10 01:39, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
“The paintings will be much larger, darker in color and theme, and MORE PERSONAL

Hmmmmm.... My guess is life sized naked portraits on black velvet.

[ Edited by: tiki shark art 2009-09-10 02:16 ]

Maybe nude self-portraits, now THAT would be personal

Maybe he's gonna examine the inner workings of fame and fortune
and how they affect the artist's psyche and life...
There is a deepness to his themes,but a lot of times it is masked by humor and wit
Maybe more message-less visual props?
more mystery?
more self-examination?

a successful artist remains and hides behind a signature style
the true artist examines and advances and sometimes changes...

how exciting!

C

success, hm? to me that would be to be able to do what you need when you need it and be authentic/ honest about it... if you need money, go get , if you are fine with that, and you need to feel exited about your work, why not?
i'm glad for shag, it's a move that shows that not everything is about the evil dime....

The previews are online for the Shag Swapmeet items. There are about four dozen out-of-print giclees, three dozen or so toys, mugs and lamps, and around 10 original paintings from $1500 and up.

Here is the index page:
http://www.laluzdejesus.com/shows/currentshow/Shag-Swapmeet/Shag-Swapmeet_index.htm

The preview is hosted at the La Luz de Jesus site, but the actual swapmeet is at Billy Shire Fine Arts on Saturday, September 12. It starts at noon.
The prices on everything have been lowered drastically. Some of the prints, most of which are long gone and going for big bucks on the collector's market are priced less than they were new. I think I got the last Odalisque print.

[ Edited by: Flickhead 2009-09-10 23:11 ]

So...this is the way to reward a guy who HELD BACK supposedly SOLD OUT prints?
I know Billy is going to make a TON of cash off of this event...
it's just really sad that you're all not saving your dollars
to support Shag in his NEW artistic journey
but instead scramble to reward
a possibly unethical print situation
that probably won't compensate the actual artist too much...

friggin profiteering middlemen....

just my opinion again...
go SHAG!

But..... it's ON SALE!

You know how people love a garage/yard sale! Strange, tiki was once found in the swap meets and garage sales of America: Now here's SHAG - the king of the neo-tiki world, being sold in a "high-end" swap meet.

N

Anybody attend? How did it go?

Here's the link to my original article, btw:

http://lamag.com/buzzcut/blog_post.aspx?id=19744

HI All,

I've been gone for a while, but subscribe to the news letters of many galleries. I received a recent email from Corey Helford Gallery indicating that they will now be representing Shag and knew that something was amiss.

I found this post by BigBro and it finally confirmed it. Without starting wildfire gossip does anyone know what happened? Are there any more news articles, interviews or personal accounts that can elucidate the situation.

BTW, I'm actually excited that Shag is painting more personal subject matter. Painting from the heart can only make ones work better.

TS

I had talked to Piet very briefly at the Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary signing product release, and he said that Josh was ready to do different subject matter, in a more sinister/darker tone. What that means exactly, Who knows. I won't know until his upcoming show in Culver City this coming Oct/Nov, but I am excited to see the new focus of Shag. I just hope he never loses his roots that made him so sucessful in the first place...Tiki and Mid Century Modern!

I see so many of Todays artists doing dark. Big eyed children filled with emptyness and doom n gloom gore art just doesn't doit for me, personally. So I hope it is a different type of dark sinisterish style.

Love the work you've done Josh, and looking forward to Version 2.1
Godspeed on his new artistic endeavors.

Being a little bit of a Shag-o-holic, I decided to use up some of my frequent flyer miles and attend the swap meet. So I show up right at noon, because I'm use to the huge crowds that Shag events usually bring. My wife and I walk in the door and we are literally the only people there. The Shag merch was in the very back and not even presented very well. I was certainly expecting more items for sale, but most of the prints were in drawers, so the viewable items were some original paintings and some mugs. I did buy a print I've wanted for a long time (Palm Springs Weekend) for a good price ($400), but I think the originals were overpriced. I was sad to see one of my favorite paintings (departure, stopover, arrival) was in poor condition with a badly chipped frame and very dusty (hey, they were only asking 60K). By the time we left maybe 10 to 12 people had shown up, just not what I was expecting at all. I took a few minutes to look at the galleries current exhibit and it was complete crap. I have a feeling they will miss the strong sales Shag always delivered.

Wow....that's sad to hear Tiki-Riviera. The triptych is one of my all time favorites too. It's sad to hear the the previous owner didn't take care of it. I know it's only superficial damage (ie: frame), but if I had the opportunity to own it, I would like it in the original frame. It's beginning to sound like a bitter break-up, but Josh has seem to moved on.

Godspeed indeed Mr. Agle. I'm pretty sure you'll deliver.

The Corey Helford Gallery website only goes as far as 10/31/09 for their upcoming shows but there is this tiny picture in the artist section ~

Is this new? It doesn't look familiar to me, is the new direction SHAG meets Mad Men meets Cirque Du Soleil?

T

Bora Boris, yes, that is a tiny snippet of the new work.

A few of the new panels were on preview at California State University, Long Beach, where Shag graduated from, on September 13 - 17, 2009. They are large Giclée canvases, like the ones from "The Flesh is Willing" show at the Laguna Art Museum.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26147&forum=17&hilite=laguna%20beach%20shag

Shag's take on Bosch's "The Garden of Earthly Delights" was also on display at CSULB. The new work is the same size as the Bosch piece, with dark colors and dreamlike imagery. I thought the work was completely recognizable as Shag, wildly imaginative, somewhat nightmarish (in a Shag style), and a refreshing new direction for Shag and his audience. I think most people will like it. There just seems to be a wider range of images and darker colors.

There is also a new book coming out, "Autumn's Come Undone" on October 15, 2009 from Baby Tattoo Books.
http://www.amazon.com/Autumns-Come-Undone-Shag/dp/0979330734/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1254201826&sr=8-1-fkmr2

[ Edited by: TikiSan 2009-09-28 22:41 ]

[ Edited by: TikiSan 2009-09-28 22:47 ]

His work appears to be developing a Hieronymus Bosch feel. In fact, I think I even remember him mentioning Hieronymus Bosch's name a few years back when he spoke in Laguna.

don't forget Brueghel too!
Go Shag!
the tank is on FULL
and it's time for the second half of the Journey!
YAY!

T

On 2009-09-28 22:48, tikiracer wrote:
More of an evolution than a new start.

Yes, exactly.

B
BigToe posted on Mon, Oct 5, 2009 9:32 PM

SHAG is Dead! Long Live SHAG!

i have always been a big fan of the clever humor of his work, despite always having tried to hate his work because of his monster-pop-ularity!

Shag is THE MAN. He totally GETS IT. nobody does it better.

Still and yet it takes a large set of dingle-berries to kick the cash cow to the curb. Granted he's not reinventing the wheel, but i say "good on ya mate" to young Josh as he emerges from the cocoon and spreads his wings!

And so again i say unto ye:

SHAG is Dead! Long Live SHAG!

B

Blaze them trails!!!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Oct 5, 2009 11:42 PM

Yay Josh! Stretch them artistic muscles.

With the muted colors and the some what morbid topics it reminds me of Charles Adams. Interesting stuff.

A few paintings from the new show have been posted at http://www.shag.com

WOW!
Awesome new work!
Texas Steer tanks
and ponds full of maker's mark whiskey!
I think SHAG just hit another HomeRun!

that trip to see those Bosch's in person
allowed these two masters to meet for a short time
and MAN!
the results are astonishing!
Surreal,Spooky,and Fun!

Smudgepot!

A

In the work titled "Badlands," what is the naked guy in the children's pool doing?

S

to me it looks the same? ive always liked the guys work! the rear artwork on the rear cover of the bomboras head shrinking fun record is my favorites though! all of the fake board games etc. its tru people think hes minimalist and try to hate him, but i'll tell you right now, that trying to recreate what he does as a tattoo is one of the hardest things to do! the guys style is almost impossible to master! people always try to imitate but generally fail. i was hoping for more of the style i mentioned before, but i dig this, like i said, not tooooooo different. also as far as doh is concerned, i would think josh doesnt worry bout that too much anymore?? 60k is pretty damn good!!! on sale!!!!! by the way my handdrawn decks were 100$$$$$$$ hahahahahaha!

awesome.

That's a nod to this Eric Fischl painting....

"SleepWalker"

Toe thought it was Robert longo!
What a MAROON!

I'M HUNGEE!

http://www.kenruzic.com http://www.myspace.com/kenruzicdotcom
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19904&forum=18&start=0

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2009-10-14 09:02 ]

Hey Little Lost Tiki,

Wow...that was excellent research on the Eric Fischl, "Sleepwalker." How did you make the connection? Are you just familiar with Eric Fischl's work, or is it a pretty famous piece that most people recognize --except me.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 14, 2009 11:24 AM

On 2009-10-14 08:57, RevBambooBen wrote:
awesome.

What he said.

On 2009-10-14 11:08, The Monitors wrote:
Hey Little Lost Tiki,
Wow...that was excellent research on the Eric Fischl, "Sleepwalker." How did you make the connection? Are you just familiar with Eric Fischl's work, or is it a pretty famous piece that most people recognize --except me.

I asked Toe about it,but he thought it was Longo...
I knew it was the guy who did the "reclining spread eagle nude lady with little boy stealing her purse piece"
but forgot the name..
So we googled Robert longo and looked, but i KNEW it wasn't him!
Toe said it was,but my spider sense was tingling
then a voice in my head said Eric Fischl!
So i google imaged it and BAM!
there it was....

kind of a bigToe coaxed artist savant experience
happens everyday here at work!

and it IS a pretty famous/iconic piece for us art geeks out there....

GO SHAG!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2009-10-14 12:09 ]

On 2009-09-29 08:46, Tiki Shaker wrote:
His work appears to be developing a Hieronymus Bosch feel. In fact, I think I even remember him mentioning Hieronymus Bosch's name a few years back when he spoke in Laguna.

I'm going with Tiki Shaker. Jheronimus Bosch.

Bab's even has painting that reminds me of Bosch.

Hmmm.

I use SHAG's work to add whimsy and fun to my world.
Looking at his serigraphs around the room makes me smile.

His new direction is great for him as an artist,
even if it moves him to a bleaker place that (too) many
in the lowbrow movement already inhabit.

It was also, most likely, inevitable.
Every artist wants to be respected and taken seriously,
even if they are wiping their tears with thousand dollar bills.

I like the new work, but I am not sure how eager I am
to purchase serigraph reproductions and display them
on my walls.

Jim Carrey is good, no GREAT, as a dramatic actor and artist.
Seeing him in Doing Time on Maple Drive
proved he has the talent for it, and followed that
with several other good dramatic turns, not the least of
which were Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
and The Truman Show.

But it seems folks STILL prefer Carrey when he
is making them smile and laugh.

Now he seems to have settled into doing both.

I hope Josh does, too.

I will be buying the new book for Autumn's Come Undone
and I am eager to see the work, but I suspect there is going to be
something of a pre-2010 fan base (and collector market)
and a post-2010 fan base if this shift in tone is
reflected in most future works.

I still say "Bravo!" and bring it on!

TS

Just a reminder to see this "Dark Side" of Shag's new chapter....

A darker shade of Shag... Autumn's Come Undone, Shag's new show of original work, opens Tonight, Saturday November 21st at Corey Helford Gallery in Culver City 8pm-12 midnight. Shag gives us his reassessment of contemporary life and modern excess. Rumor has is there will be a special edition of his upcoming book titled Autumn's Come Undone available on opening night. For more information visit http://www.coreyhelfordgallery.com

would have been nice to see a post about this in Events.

Jeff(btd)

you would have probably been at a Surf band show anyway...
so quit yer gripin eeyore...

The show will be up for awhile i imagine...

On 2009-11-24 08:00, little lost tiki wrote:
you would have probably been at a Surf band show anyway...
so quit yer gripin eeyore...

The show will be up for awhile i imagine...

hey Kenny, how old are you? (My Dad thinks yer in yer 50's) I say 40's)
you sound like my Grandpa though, "a Surf Band show"
ha ha ha.

and actually I was home sick.
:(

but it was an event, if people knew about it,
they should have put it in events.
my friend Dave went, he said there is actually some tikis in some of the paintings.

Jeff(btd)

TM
T

I'm all for a new Shag chapter but I really want to see a new Shag book and I'm not talking about the dozen he has out right now.

Hey Guys,

Here's another article about shag on Juxtapoz's website.

http://www.juxtapoz.com/Features/exclusive-interview-with-shag-on-autumns-come-undone

The economy is tanking, and galleries are going under right and left. It's bad. Out here in Hawaii it's double bad for galleries. Most artists are changing their style to find something that will sell.
SHAG is doing the exact oppisite. He HAS something that sells... and he's changing to something else. Something that is sure to not sell as well as his happy hip style - what he's known for. Wow, that's brave.

Aloha Tiki Tribe -
If you have not, go listen to the latest podcast of "The Cocktail Nation" Koop interviews SHAG about his new show - the the darker more personal turn it's taking. I thought it was a very frank and refreshingly honest few words from a art icon who is ... well I think feeling the weight of his own fame.

http://cocktailnation.podomatic.com/

OK, I WISH I had the kind of problems that SHAG has, but he's a very important part of our subculture and I was impressed with his non-happy -every things-just-fine response.

Thanks Brad....gonna DL it now!

Pages: 1 45 replies