Name:Bambu Hut - Hide Away
Type:bar
Street:25 Windward Avenue
City:Venice
State:CA
Zip:n/a
Phone:S.M.-634-15

Description:
Nightclub as described offering dancing and entertainment - also adjoining room called the Hide Away..presumed to be a cocktail bar.

Not known at this time if this establishment served food, this is not advertised on the matchbook cover below.

Matchbook below from the personal collection of TikiG

Nice two color graphic

"Unique atmosphere" offered inside the Hide Away

Some matches are intact inside matchbook cover

[ Edited by: TikiG 2009-09-10 08:23 ]

I thought I had an interior for you, but not quite.

Below is "the Bamboo Cabana Room located in the Hotel Windemere overlooking the Blue Pacific, 1431 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, California."

Another pre-tiki club not too far away from yours. Dig that piano up on stage.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-09-10 09:14 ]

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Sep 10, 2009 9:40 AM

Sabu -

Now THAT interior just floors me man! Seems familiar but unknown at the same time. The piano on stage..KILLER! The blue juxtaposed against the bamboo..KILLER! The blue vinyl booths..you get the idea!

God I'm inspired to incorporate this scene into a painting :wink:

Thank You for posting this in response to my matchbook cover.

I know the matchbook cover is just a minor addition to the overall T.C. database but I'm thrilled to have added a minor addition that nobody else has posted before. YAY!

Great postcard Sabu, posted some more here.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33904&forum=2&0

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2009-09-10 18:59 ]

After seeing this post I started going through my postcard, matchbook and image files and was surprised to see the number of the pre-Tiki tropical places that were located in Santa Monica and Venice Beach. There were a bunch!

Here is another matchbook from the Bamboo Hut.

Topless hula girls and a Liquor Store Connection, nice.

DC

Jim Heimann referred to this period (30s -40s) as "the avalanche of bamboo" in L.A. To find that many places bamboo-ed out seems like a sign to me that proprietors not only used the look for commercial reasons, but because they themselves loved it --not unlike in the Tiki period.

Yes - All of Los Angeles seemed to be rife with the bamboo bars in the pre-tiki days. The number of matchbooks testifies to it. Most of these places so small that a matchbook (and maybe a cocktail napkin if you're lucky) is the only ephemera that was produced.

DC - That feature matchbook with the hula girls is one of the nicest I've ever seen! Wow.

Pages: 1 6 replies