Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The craziest Zombie of them all

Pages: 1 9 replies

K
Klas posted on Mon, Sep 21, 2009 6:18 AM

It's very similar to the 1956 Zombie recipe found in Sippin' Safari but this one has even more booze.

From Tropical Rum Drinks and Cuisine by Don The Beachcomber:

*3/4 ounce lime juice
1/2 ounce grapefruit juice
1/2 ounce Falernum
1/2 ounce simple syrup
1 1/4 ounces Ramirez Royal Superior
1 ounce Lemon Hart Demerara 151
1 ounce Palau 30-year
1 ounce Myers Planter's Punch
1 ounce Treasure Cove 32-year
2 dashes Angostura bitters
2 dashes Pernod
1 dash Absinthe
3 dashes grenadine
3/4 ounce Maraschino liqueur

Pour above ingredients into a blender. Add a handful of small cracked ice. Blend at medium speed. Pour into a 14 ounce glass with 3 or 4 cubes of ice. Decorate with a spear of fresh pineapple, orange, cherry, sprig of mint. Serve with a straw. Sip with eyes half-closed.*

Naturally I had to substitute some of the rums. I also think the drink will benefit by using less Maraschino liqueur as it was totally taking over the flavor.

And although I had a couple of other drinks prior to the Zombie, things went somewhat wrong after it, haha.

WOW !!!!! limit two no doubt. I have found that most recipes that call for Maraschino liqueur are better if the amount called for is cut way back. Of course this is just my opinion but it does have a powerful affect on a cocktail and a little goes a long way.

Klas thanks for that post.
I would love to try a Zombie like that.
talk about high octane.
wheeeeew!!!!

Jeff(btd)

I've tried all of the major Zombie recipes out there, and I just don't like the recipes that feature a lot of maraschino liqueur. The funny thing is that I like maraschino in plenty of other recipes. I find that ML easily overwhelms a Zombie, particularly so in that '56 recipe. I prefer the 1934 recipe with its cinnamon spiciness any day.

K
Klas posted on Wed, Sep 23, 2009 12:39 AM

I have similar experiences with Maraschino liqueur in other drinks as well. I use the Luxardo brand and maybe the stuff used for the original recipes had a weaker flavor.

Of the Zombies I've tried, my favorite is the "Spievak" one reprinted in Berry's Intoxica.

I don't even attempt to measure Luxardo and Pernod once I'm drunk. One of these days I'll get an eyedropper. (the mythical point of no return?) :)

I find that using 1/2 oz. maraschino liqueur (and 1/4 oz. Falernum) where Donn calls for 3/4 oz. (and 1/2 oz.) works nicely. I usually combine this with 1/2 oz. passion fruit syrup and find that I can cram quite a bit of rum into my Zombies. =)

No you're not, you are spam. Funny Engrish spam, but nevertheless spam. Just because this post will now get a bunch of hits, do not believe one second that anyone here will click on your links. Give it up already and peddle your wares somewhere else.

I reported LisaLin to the authorities and she will soon be deported from TC :D

A

On 2009-10-22 12:42, MadDogMike wrote:
I reported LisaLin to the authorities and she will soon be deported from TC :D

Thank you

Pages: 1 9 replies