Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

tiki ti's 50th anniversary group art show artist call!

Pages: 1 15 replies

K

hello world -
early in 2011 the greatest (and my favorite) tropical libation hut will celebrate 50 years of colorful family commerce in LA. this is something which seldomly occurs here in the center of the fickle vanity industry. more often than not the star community turns a cold cheek to a venue upon it's opening, thusly squelching out a business's possible future.

but here we are and here we mean to remain! there are 92 drinks on the Tiki Ti menu - which ought to be ample inspirado for your twisted booze hoarding mind to manifest something that's bound to appeal to the Gods favor on the moon of such an anniversary.

i've discussed it with the Buhens briefly and though they are agreeable to showing so much art in their bar - it can only happen a week or two after the actual anniversary which they are in the course of preparing at present. yes that's right - a DOUBLE HEADED EVENT! first will come the anniversary itself - a night of flavorlicking not soon to be forgotten as so many of us will pack in to enshrine the drinkhouse of the Buhens sending reminders to them of why we so admire and love their lineage, thusly likening their bloodline to our own. DRINK MUGS! JACKETS HATS ETC are all in the works from a number of different craftsmen and women - limited editions are BOUND to sell out!!!

the idea behind making this call so prematurely is that the show be made available as a catalog on the night of the exhibit, as well as the paintings being made public for viewing and purchase on the night of the exhibit. format will have to be limited in scale as the Tiki only can capacitate 50 at a time. also, in making the format uniform it will render each painting a plug and play unit for the publication of the whole show WHICH WILL ALSO BE LTD IN #!!! a 7X7 book is about perfect for autographing and if the event manages to stand up to my expectation then there may just be a few "artists" in attendance

as details become more clear and firm i'll post here - but as it is now we're taking measure to convert (temporarily) the lot on which the Tiki Ti was erected to expand crowd capacity as well as bar service though this will understandably not be the same sort of drink you find inside the walls of the so famed magic well of an establishment . an event as rare as this one requires so many considerations to be made, musical entertainment is a must so if you think you'd like to bang or belt a set out for what will positively be an enhibriated mob please get in touch with me here

this the call - there will not be another 50th like this one for a lifetime, there can be only ONE TIKI TI DUDE

thanks to the printed reproduction of this exhibit, it is to be a juried show. so that's all that's fit to tell at present - if you'd like to be included in this event in any capacity please shoot an email to me (Miles Thompson)

[email protected]

i'll be back with news as directly as possible via drum log or maybe i'll see you on some wednesday evening soon

last note -

Q: can a carving be or a mug be exhibited?
A: special spacial arrangements will have to be made in order for the sculptor/carver populace to exhibit inside/outside of such a small bar - but i think the answer is "YES!" to mugs and carvings on a reasonable scale - though - given the popularity of this venue and of mug/tiki collecting in general entry units per head will be very very limited as will space for such articles made for submission - keep it simple

ALOHA OE KIDS!
Miles

T

If there ever is a time for the Miles Thompson tiki mug to come up, now is the time.

Sounds like a super great event. If I was involved it would be with a mug most likely.

K

thanks so much teaKEY- i am designing one of the 50th anniversary mugs with the Buhens, it's been sooo fun
summersun=tiki
mahalo
MT

early 2011?
i think that's plenty of time!
What's the due date,Sir?
:)

B

i am ur humble servant, kahuna thompson!

i'm in if the event is held other than at the tiki ti...there is no room in there for art and people at the same time....

T

WOW! This sounds SO COOL! I don't care if they hold it in the men's room at the Tiki Ti! I would LOVE to participate!!!

T

I would be honored to carve for the event .

K
kooche posted on Wed, Jan 6, 2010 9:07 AM

well - i have spoken at length with the owner of the Tiki and it is as planned going to happen at the bar itself for ONE NIGHT ONLY!!!

as this event's evening approaches more and more information about specifics will be made readily available on Facebook - update to follow here!!!

Tipsy Mcfallsover - sorry, but the bar is the only place for this once in a lifetime event, the family agrees that involving a gallery would merely complicate the business involved with the exhibit and i completely agree having been a part of the gallery world for over 10 years

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 6, 2010 9:26 AM

The Tiki Ti? Is that like a Tiki Bar or something?

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Jan 6, 2010 9:53 AM

Miles!

Still awaiting your response on gmail - I thought you may have went missing or something.

I want to participate as well (you already know that.) Stay in touch :wink:

P

Perhaps the art exhibit can be done at La Luz de Jesus, which is in walking distance from Tiki Ti. Limited cocktails can even be served in the back. Then Tiki Ti itself is close at hand.

K

the idea that it could be held at La Luz was discussed so far as viewing space is concerned - but what of atmosphere??? and so it is that the bar itself has opted to host this one time one evening event ... i can't wait!

okay-rules are the rules....

since my artwork already graces tiki ti - i'll make something smaller for this show.

R

On 2010-01-06 11:24, PiPhiRho wrote:
Perhaps the art exhibit can be done at La Luz de Jesus, which is in walking distance from Tiki Ti. Limited cocktails can even be served in the back. Then Tiki Ti itself is close at hand.

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!! then we can ALL go at the same time to view the art.. and saunter over for drinks before and/or afterward.
ur a GENIOUS!!! :)

On 2010-01-13 11:26, kooche wrote:
the idea that it could be held at La Luz was discussed so far as viewing space is concerned - but what of atmosphere??? and so it is that the bar itself has opted to host this one time one evening event ... i can't wait!

This sounds cool. Keep us posted.

Pages: 1 15 replies