Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What U.S. State is the most Tiki?

Pages: 1 32 replies

I think there is an App for that?

I'm gonna take a guess and say, easily, California. You lucky dogs.

OHIO

I was going to say Utah because it looks the most like a Coaster for my beverage......

but I have to agree with Tiki David and say Ohio.

I would say California is the hands down winner. A short trip through the threads and that is easy to see. Also Tiki Road Trip, The Book Of Tiki, Tiki Modern and Tiki Quest are loaded with great stuff from California if your talking of overall Tiki. Florida would be number two. It seems to me that the warmer climates with the influx of tourist had the largest concentration. And lets not rule out Hawaii by any means. And Ohio and Utah are in the running.

On 2009-09-23 04:42, uncle trav wrote:
it seems to me that the warmer climates with the influx of tourist had the largest concentration.

Hmmm..... I wonder what would happen if you were to look at the TIPSY factor and based it on Population density instead of location density. For example.. there are 2 tikis for every 150 people in any given area how would that change the perception of the question.

For shear "tiki density", pound for pound, I would have to say Florida. I can't seem to drive anywhere without seeing at least one.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Sep 23, 2009 8:02 AM

State?

Historically one state gave birth to the American tiki tillage

• and remains ground zero, vibrant & most tiki - regardless if slightly behind in today's tiki per square yard statistics as many believe

CALIFORNIA, BABY!

Hawaii......duh!
They deng near invented 'em!
:)

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Sep 23, 2009 8:19 AM

This is a loaded question isn't it?

(or should we just get loaded and then question the question?)

TikiG

[ Edited by: TikiG 2009-09-23 08:20 ]

It was Ohio, but Pablus moved so it's now Florida.

On 2009-09-23 05:37, TikiMango wrote:
For shear "tiki density", pound for pound, I would have to say Florida. I can't seem to drive anywhere without seeing at least one.

See, TikiMango knows Pablus moved, too.

I think Kinny knows something ?, So let me mix up the question a bit
What state has the most Tiki Bars?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-23 13:43 ]

Authentic or poseur Tiki Bars?

OHIO

A8

I'd have to say California. I guess it should be Hawaii but I think California took Tiki culture to a an entirely new level.

The "Most" Tiki bars... I'd say California
Most "Tiki" in general... HAAWAIIIIII.....

I'm surrounded by Tiki's here at work but even on the way to work from the gas stations, supermarket, coffee shop, I can't get away from them.... Thank God....
Sure most of these are pretty generic, phillipines, Indo, China Kine but still Tiki...

BB

On 2009-09-23 13:55, little lost tiki wrote:
Authentic or poseur Tiki Bars?

Your Call?

I would guess California, but if Florida would have maintained what it had in it's 1950s/70's heyday (Tiki Gardens, Hawaiian Village, Outrigger Inn, the Volcano, the Lua, Mai-Kai etc.) it could have made a run for #1.

AF

I thought TIKI was a "state" of mind.

A US TIKI Census would just eat up more tax dollars...
so, five hours to Florida, five to Hawaii...and its smack dab in the middle.

Your hub for all things TIKI in large amounts, California!

California of course, we have Oceanic Arts! woot woot! :P

On 2009-09-23 14:48, TIKI DAVID wrote:
OHIO

How can it be OHIO (why do you shout, turn off the caps)
Right now in Ohio, it is a balmy 47, "Showers with isolated thunderstorms. Lows around 50. West winds around 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent." And the outlook is not much better...

Right now in California it's 78, clear skys, light breeze, the Palms are swaying, the plumeria is in bloom along with the tuberose, the waves are calm, water is over 60, may go out for a swim before bed, but I hate to get up from the chaise, might knock over my drink, may stay here all night, under the stars. The tiki torches are flickering and the light they cast seems to say, California IS Tiki. I agree. You might give it a try Dave, you may shout less.

Now Bananabobs, we don't want to rub it in, that's not very Tiki of you, can you pass the Mai Tai's ?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-10-05 21:03 ]

TD

On 2009-10-05 20:53, bananabobs wrote:

On 2009-09-23 14:48, TIKI DAVID wrote:
OHIO

How can it be OHIO (why do you shout, turn off the caps)
Right now in Ohio, it is a balmy 47, "Showers with isolated thunderstorms. Lows around 50. West winds around 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent." And the outlook is not much better...

Right now in California it's 78, clear skys, light breeze, the Palms are swaying, the plumeria is in bloom along with the tuberose, the waves are calm, water is over 60, may go out for a swim before bed, but I hate to get up from the chaise, might knock over my drink, may stay here all night, under the stars. The tiki torches are flickering and the light they cast seems to say, California IS Tiki. I agree. You might give it a try Dave, you may shout less.

my whole point was i was standing seemingly all alone in cold wintery ohio, collecting tiki and screaming 'OHIO' in answer to the question.
but,well stevie,i see you are still, for some reason stalking me and 'knitpicking' everthing i post,so i guess nothing seems to change with you.you are STILL an ASSHOLE!

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2009-10-06 03:15 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2009-10-06 03:15 ]

A
aquarj posted on Tue, Oct 6, 2009 9:26 AM

This is too easy.

Kentiki

There's a few runner-ups though.

South DaKONO
North CaroLONO
MassaKUsetts
KANErado
MOAIming

-Randy

On 2009-10-05 20:53, bananabobs wrote:

Right now in California it's 78, clear skys, light breeze, the Palms are swaying, the plumeria is in bloom

And right now in South Florida it is a brisk 85 degrees under clear skys with only a few clouds in the distance, the palms are swaying, the plumeria and orchids are all in bloom, with the hibiscus, bananans, coffee, and just about every other thing that blooms..... my pool is still over 80 degrees, the ocean is about the same.....

But none of that makes here any more or less Tiki than there.

And I still support Ohio as being more Tiki than other places by a lot.

Think about it..... Ohio still has more Tikified Chinese restaurants in business than anywhere else I have heard about. More Ohioians (is that what there called?) visit the 'other' tiki states and bring back souvenirs which then wind up in the local thrift stores and estate sales. And that doesn't even take into considerations the older generation that collected the stuff the first time round dieing off and their collections showing up in estate sales. I would dare say that those in the mid-west and the all of the fly-over states have access to much more Tiki than any of us in the usual suspects like Florida and California. When was the last time you found anything truly exciting and tiki at a thrift store or estate sale?

Totally loaded question! I have had to revert back to lurking here on TC for many reasons and I hesitate to even post comments anymore but... here goes;

One must define TIKI in order to answer the question and we all know the can of worms that opens! Purist will regard all the "TIKI Bars" here in Florida as "Posers" and depending on the definition I might be inclined to agree. If you counted the number of thatch hut bars calling themselves tiki bars in Florida ...... Dude! Just here in Sarasota County we have at least 50. 3 worth visiting and 0 that make a decent drink (not counting my house!). There is a ton going on in Fla. that does not show up on the radar...I have met 5 local carvers in the past month, a few very talented, that have never even heard of TC, Hukilau, or the Mai-Kai.

So .... having lived in Cali and Florida and having spent a good amount of time in Hawaii:

Hawaii from the traditional Polynesian culture standpoint
Cali from the "Pop Culture" standpoint
Florida for sheer numbers and audacity.

Obviously I need to explore more of Ohio. And honorable mention fer sure and I look forward to the research.

like I said "OHIO!"

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.