Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

New Don Tiki Album - South of the Boudoir

Pages: 1 19 replies

K

This was a surprise:

Like a bolt out of the blue - a new Don Tiki album, with beautiful dark black velvet tiki landscapes by Robb Hamel on the back and interior, and the beautiful Sherry Shaoling on the cover. I heard nothing about it coming out.

I've listened once - kind of different from The Forbidden Sounds and Skinny Dip; much more Oriental Exotic (mostly Thai/Bali) and Middle Eastern than tropical. Not quite as many driving instrumentals as I've come to expect from Don Tiki, but I need to let it sink in. I was really disappointed with Skinny Dip when I first listened - now it's my favorite.

Best of luck to the band with this CD. Hoping for more live performances - it's been a long time since I've seen Don Tiki.

[ Edited by: Koolau 2009-09-25 23:32 ]

V

Wow, wow, wow, I haven't heard of that !!! Thanks a lot, now I need it Noooowww

V

more info and listens here : http://www.dontiki.com/don-tiki-south-of-the-boudoir/
Oh, and congrats to our Robb !

Koolau asked me about my participation in this album on my velvet painting thread and I thought it would be cool to post the info here.

Lloyd Kandell, who is one of the two founders/producers of Don Tiki contacted me in April about using one of my pieces for the new album. I could tell immediately that he was an absolutely terrific guy, so much so that I trusted him enough to send him the image he wanted before we had finished hammering out a deal, without being asked to! I'm still surprised at how nice it was to work with him. He even sent me an early cut of one of the songs, before the title was finalized, I think.

Lloyd sent me an email that I didn't see for a few days requesting some other images they were considering. These needed to be shown at a specific time to the albums designer, Craig Okino. I checked the date and time he needed the new pics, looked up the Honolulu time, and realized he needed them in about 40 minutes!! I'm very slow at doing emails, so I went into Insane Desperate Slowpoke Artist In High Gear mode and got him the files a few minutes before he walked out the door.

These are the uncropped images of the paintings that were chosen:

I'm very happy that the reproduction of my paintings and how they were used in the packaging is surprisingly good... better than my own Tiki Magazine Ad, which I created! Thank you Craig Okino.

Lloyd sent me copies of the album a little while before it was released, and I've been submerged in it since then. The first thing I noticed is that it is unmistakably Don Tiki. Which means that it has a distinctly theatrical quality - when I listen to it I can't help but get mental images of live performers standing in spotlights, scenery flats being moved for each song, colored lights, and curtains opening and closing.

The second thing is the album seems like a kind of self-contained universe that you enter slowly. This is because it is so carefully crafted and unique that you need to get used to these familiar-yet-not-familiar sounds. Like you, Koolau, this is how most of my all-time favorite albums grew on me. Great art should be this way: a unique artistic vision, not the last album with new titles and lyrics.

The third thing is the album needs to be listened to on a decent audio system to come alive, not cheap-ass computer speakers or tinny base model car speakers. I'm listening to it right now on my halfway decent living room system and the super, super silky sound is absolutely seductive. In fact, I get the feeling the nearly every track is trying to get the listener stimulated (yes, in THAT way)!

Thank you Lloyd and company for a great and happy experience working with you and for giving us a new and hot-blooded piece of art.

Big thanks Koolau for asking about my tiny part.

Robb, congrats to making the connection with Lloyd and Don Tiki. Your work deserves to get out there and be seen, and it's especially nice when it happens in such an appropriate context.

Robb, that's some gorgeous work! It is such a complement to their vibe, and serves to make me want the album that much more. Congrats!

T

Anyone interested in buying this album from Mtn. Apple Company,I just called to let them know that the "add to cart" link doesn't work.They said IT people will fix Tuesday.I Listened to preview and it sounds great!I'll be ordering mine soon.

Very excited to hear this one. Talk about the long stretch between projects! From the way Koolau describes it, sounds like a slight departure from the Don Tiki formula, which can always be a good thing for the ears. Congrats on the art, too, Robb! Long live Don Tiki!

Cheers~

Andy

Thanks very much guys.

Are there any members of Don Tiki on TC? I'd be cool if someone could describe how the album came about after, what, 8 years?

Robb, how VERY cool!

I am jealous! I was courting Lloyd for the spot to get to do the art for this album cover for a while, but ... well, your stuff looks so good I cannot find anything to say but...COOL!

A New Don Tiki album is always a GOOD THING! The photo cover with Sherry Shaoling is beautiful, and your velvet mixes perfectly with it. I'm going out and buying in right now!

Robb, I now you like to work to exotica, so...dude, go get this album, or have them send you a copy!!!!! I milked Jim Bacchi of tikiyaki Orchestra for LOTS of CDS when I did their first CD cover art. Then, ask for a discount so you can buy more CDS. Really, there is nothing people like better than getting a CD for a present with your art on it. Here's all your X-mass shopping already done!

Brado~

Holy cow!

Thanks Brad, I'm glad you like how it turned out. Lloyd did send me a stack of CDs before the album was released, which I'd have expected because the guy really is cool.

Just got my copy yesterday and listened to it for my 5 hour work commute. I agree that it has to grow on you and is different. For me, it has a kind of Frank Zappa feel to it...lot's of breaks, timing and chord changes...yet the Don Tiki sound that I love. The art work is great!!! It will be on the platter in my car for a while I am sure. Wish I had the mula to see them live..from my email...

Coming soon to a location near you...

HONOLULU, HI – Don Tiki, the keepers of the exotica flame, have unleashed their fourth album, South of the Boudoir. The new CD features 16 fresh tracks and over 70 minutes of lush, seductive melodies. Evoking the sounds of a paradise lost, this tiki-lounge experience transports you to another world – one filled with the music of a forgotten past but infused with an unmistakable modern lounge vibe. Find yourself…lose yourself…the exotic journey is up to you. Come fly away with Don Tiki as they continue on their global musical trek.

Meet Don TIki's Creators at Whole Foods This Sunday

Sunday, November 1st from 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

Don't miss the rare opportunity to meet Perry Coma and Fluid Floyd at Whole Foods Kahala. Yes, the exotica masters have agreed to leave their tiki huts to answer questions and autograph copies of South of the Boudoir. Whole Foods will be playing the entire CD over their in-store sound system. Who knows...you may even bump into one of their gorgeous dancers or two sashaying down the aisles. It's a perfect gift for the holidays!

Don Tiki's First Time at First Friday

Friday, November 6th from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. at 250 Hotel Street

Catch Don Tiki performing live and for FREE at the Hawai'i State Art Museum lanai. Don Tiki is a band of exceptional talents, and their music will transport you to an island paradise where sensual tropical fantasies still exist – especially after that third Mai Tai. The gorgeous Don Tiki Dancers® and their elaborate costumes add to the enchantment of their exotic and swanky revue.

Got my CD...It's freakin' awesome!
Yes, Don Tiki is growing and changing just as neo-exotica is. (the only constant is change tiki tribe, remember?)
This CD has bunches of classic exotica, and some really interesting tracks like "Rapture of the Deep"...wow! I have not heard a woman moan like that since Donna Summer did "Love to Love you"!
Oh wait, I think I was suposed to say.. I had not heard a woman moan like that (on a musical track) since Donna Summer. Doh!
Bla Bla Cha Cha - extremely clever, and show's Don Tiki's complete mastery of lounge and exotica. They make it look easy, and we know it's anything but.
I found my self humming "In Thailand". I think this track shows Don Tiki's self assured position as reining champions of neo-exotica, and, much like traditional exotica, they are not here to make politically correct ethnically sensitive songs. I mean this song jabs a thumb over it's shoulder with a smirk at some certain western/eastern relationships - I agree with VampiressRN, humorous in that Frank Zappa kinda way. Yea, I have been to Thailand, and I was in that certain area of Bangkok ya' know...so "I've been thither, I've been thence."
But the ultimate track for this huge delmar deWild fan is "Pagan Love" - that's a full on big 'ol exotica lounge hit in the same vein as "The
Natives are Restless Tonight". I hope I to see them preform that groovie toon on stage. With front man Delmar backed up by the Don Tiki dancers, it'll be a show stopper!
Thank you Fluid Floyd and all of Don Tiki!
Buy it. Play it. Dig it.

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.sargentsfineart.com/artist/parker.php
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land
http://www.cocktailnation.net

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-11-12 13:45 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-11-12 14:04 ]

I totally agree, Brother Shark. Pagan Lust is definitely the best song! I find myself drinking from it often :wink: .

TM

I only have two words to say:

Sherry Shaoling.

'nuff saud!

Been waiting for this new album since I caught you guys in Hawaii and was blown away---bout time you give us more and thanks for the signed stuff a few years back. Shaka Five, Hang Ten Tiki http://www.bedtimestoriesforsurfers.com

Da more I listen, da more I likeie!

Delmar deWild (my hero) with Sherry Shaoling (my my!)

Just got my copy. Next weeks show I am talking to the band on the show!

just posted the interview with Floyd..www.cocktailnation.net

We play the new song off the album Odd Man Out

KK

TM

On 2009-11-13 04:20, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Da more I listen, da more I likeie!

Delmar deWild (my hero) with Sherry Shaoling (my my!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRs5ZElafnE

Pages: 1 19 replies