Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Graphic and Ceramics Artist Steps Forward into New Era

Pages: 1 3 replies

I am glad that I have finally made time to introduce my artwork and studio to the ohana here at Tiki Central. Swamp Tiki Pottery and Graphics has been producing artwork in a variety of mediums for over 15 years. Examples of my work can be found in galleries, private collections, and the museums and gift shops at sites such as Moundville Archaeological Park in Alabama and Ocmulgee Indian Mounds in Georgia. Over the years I have created unique original interpretations in conjunction with "to-scale" reproduction art that is primarily associated with the Moundbuilding culture found in the Southeastern United States 500 to 1,200 years ago. The art of this civilization was quite detailed, ornate, and often challenging to reproduce. While focusing in this area for many years I would occassionally get requests and commissions that required inspirations from other tribal cultures found around the world at about the same time period in history..the most popular being objects from Polynesia (a part of the world I love and often escape to when the opportunity arises).

I have included some examples of my work with this post that I hope you will enjoy. These are older and ongoing projects with some newer examples. Additional posts can also be found on the Swamp Tiki Pottery and Graphics Facebook site.

Cheers!
Tiki Cracker

This is the Swamp Tiki Pottery & Graphic Studio mug design that is currently in production. These are given away with commissioned paintings and sculptures. A multi-color glaze really brings out the detail.

Tiki pendants are becoming more popular. These two examples were commissioned pieces. The first is a variation on the STP&G logo design. The second is a Rock-A-Billy Moai with birdman and hunting hieroglyphs on the front and back.

This next image is of a Conch Shell effigy bowl. Much like the Kava Bowl, the original vessel was manufactured by a Mississippian Period artisan for use in the Black Drink Ceremony, a cleansing ritual that utilized the parched leaves of the yaopon holly...the only plant native to the southeastern U.S. that contains caffine.

These three pics show the type of paintings I typically create. Although I do get into "low-brow" graphic designs I seem to get more requests for hand-painted, "traditional" works. The first example seen below is called GUARDIAN TIKI. The second example is called NAUGHTY TIKI. It borrows inspiration from one of my favorite Florida destinations, the fabulous MAI KAI Restaurant and MOLOKI Bar. The tiki shown in the painting has stood at the Mai Kai for many years and is one of my favorites. If you turn this painting to the left you can see why the Wahine is grimacing so. The painting wraps around the canvas to reveal a bikini top hanging over the arm of the tiki. Needless to say I enjoyed doing this one. The last example is called TAHITIAN TIKI HIDDEN IN JUNGLE.

Mahalo.

Welcome to TC Cracker, nice work. I like the moko'd dude with the headdress that is your logo, cool matching mug. What is the finish on the Conch Shell effigy bowl? Looks like it is pit fired.

T

Fantastic clay work! Looking forward to seeing more.

The original conch bowl was made for the Ocmulgee Indian Mounds Museum in Macon, Georgia. The response on it was good and so I wound up making several more. Your right, it is pit fired. Most of my reproduction Native American pieces usually get this type of treatment. It carries authenticity to the next level. I can usually achieve a pit temperature of about 1800 to 2000 degrees which is pretty good for the open kiln method. The finish is achieved through burnishing before and after firing. I usually buff the surface to a medium sheen with Yucca fibers or a rough cotton cloth.

Pages: 1 3 replies