Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Jay Strongman @ Trader Vic's LA

Pages: 1 2 85 replies

Jay Strongman and Trader Vic's LA Present

Eden every Thursday night Starting Oct 22nd

Trader Vic’s at L.A. LIVE will be hosting legendary international DJ Jay Strongman’s EDEN event every Thursday from 7 p.m. to Close. starting October 22th. One of the pioneers of the London club scene, Strongman will be mixing an eclectic selection of vintage exotica, jazz and bossa nova with the latest electro-lounge, down tempo grooves and contemporary tropical beats. During the course of his career, Strongman has DJ'd around the globe from Rio de Janeiro to Moscow, Tokyo to Paris, at nightclubs, private parties and events for, amongst others, Madonna, Playboy's Hugh Hefner, Milan Fashion Week, Sony Music and MTV Europe. Now Trader Vic’s at L.A. LIVE patrons won’t even have to pay a cover to be treated to his weekly performance

[ Edited by: TraderJohn 2009-10-04 23:55 ]

CJ

NICE!!!

WooooHooooooo! We can't wait to see Jay :)

S

SWEET! I can't wait.

Suzanne

And there's one more thing worth mentioning:

Jay is the author of THIS Tiki horn-of-plenty eye candy feast:

http://www.amazon.com/Tiki-Mugs-Cult-Artifacts-Polynesian/dp/0955339812/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255273121&sr=1-1

That seems like a happy marriage, the modern but classic L.A. Trader Vic's and Jay's DJ experience. I am not such a purist that I would only demand Marty, Arty and Les to be played at a Tiki Lounge, I like to hear an intelligent mix of vintage and modern. If there ever was someone who could pull that of well, I'd say it's Jay. Well, the Millionaire, too. :)

Very cool,
how long will he be DJing there?

Jeff(btd)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm looking forward to mixing in the vintage exotica we all know and love with other genres that will hopefully create the right mood suitable for a modern tiki bar. Expect to hear Baxter, Denny, Lyman, Drasnin and Ahbez alongside contemporary acts like Karminsky Experience, Tikiyaki, Don Tiki, Waldeck, Koop and many more plus bossa, surf, classic lounge, jazz and some surprises. Here's a few examples, old and new.............Hope to see you there, Jay.

Great to see that you are mixing it up with new stuff, like Tikiyaki, and Surf music also.
I do that also when I am djing events.
I think that you have to go with a wide array of sounds to really set a mood, if appropriate of course.

I am looking forward to hearing you spin.

Jeff(btd)

Yes, Jeff...I think mixing it up a little is the way to go.....especially as it would be good to lure in some non-Tiki people to Trader Vics and let them get a taste of classic exotica as well as some of the contemporary lounge tunes that they may already be acquainted with. BTW I've heard you playing at quite a few events on the scene since I moved out here and have always been impressed by the sounds you've spun.

Here's a couple more things I'll be playing on Thursday nights....

sweet,
can't wait to be there and hear them.

I was just asked to DJ a tiki/surf event in Az. this last weekend,
and I mixed it up, surf, and exotica, and got lots of compliments.

Jeff(btd)

also if anyone wants to show up early.

O
Otto posted on Wed, Oct 21, 2009 12:20 AM

Jay, I hope this is the LA gig you have been waiting for and deserve!
Remember DJing @ Madonna Inn!?!?

btw, I just DJed that Alex Keack lp at a surf gig I did in SF on sunday!

Thanks Otto ! Yeah, that Madonna Inn party was really something special...I hope to play a similar mix of old and new on Thursday night.And I love that Alex Keack album...I only wish he had done a couple more in that style.

I'll be there tonight. A perfect occasion to pay my respects to the downtown Vic's and enjoy the sounds, sights and samplings of fine food and drink.

I'll be there at 8 pm ish.
doubt I will hang til 1:30 though.
:wink:

can't wait.

Jeff(btd)

Okay, last minute hunting through record boxes and CD racks and a few more gems for tonight....

H

Jay, Maggie and I are planning to go, see you there. Can't wait to hear the fabulous collection you are going to play.

CA

got music? will travel!!!!!!!

see ya next week after my shift at the Tonga Hut. Can't wait to sit back & enjoy great music & great timws.

We missed ya Kelly!
Just got back from Trader Vic's. Had a blast!
Jay's got some master DJ skills. Great mix of
music. Can't wait for next week. Hopefully more
TC people will show up!

it was a fair turn out of TC people,
about 15 or so. though more would be fun.

and I stayed and drank more than I should have.
didn't get to bed til 2 am. :o
and had a horrible hang over this morning.
damn only 3 drinks, I'm losing my drinking skills.
:(

see ya next week Jay,
great tunes man.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-10-23 19:15 ]

I know!: To sit in a classic Tiki atmosphere, sample the rum concoctions and get gently but satisfyingly soused while the appropriate music supports the mood is as good as it gets. The sounds of vibes and Exotica filled the room and the brain. Here is to D-Jay, masterful mixer of music and mugs!

Thanks, Iokona Ki'l, Jeff and Sven ! Great seeing and chatting to you all about music on Thursday night. Looking forward to seeing you again soon. Mahalo, Jay.

Looking forward to this Thursday night...found some more great tunes to accompany those Mai Tai's and pre-Halloween zombies..

I would love to make this John, unfortunately I will probably working late .

O.K. , I know Polynesiac, and Afro-Harping, but AFRO-JAZZIAC !!? That tops it all! I will be there early this time, cause we got tickets for the Charles Phoenix/ Bob Baker show later.

sorry can't make it tonight,
have a good time everybody.

Jeff(btd)

I should be there around 8:00pm or so myself.

If you haven't heard Jay's mix of music you don't know what you're missing. Nice to see everyone last night. I'll be back next week for sure!

That was really good. TV's LA is da kine. Danny's tikis are so cool. Pictures don't do them justice. Thanks Al, Adrian. Had a Ray's Mistake, um 2 actually at Tiki Ti too. First time both places. ahhh, thanks for the tunes Jay!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-10-31 15:45 ]

We came a little late (after Charles Phoenix's "Spooktacular" show at Bob Baker's Marionette Theater.) Jay's music set a great vibe/ambiance to Trader Vic's. Good to see Jungle Trader, Polypop, Ali-i, The Fluffs, Sven & Naomi, Sabu, Brian of Crystal Cove Media, JonPaul & Marie, Julienne (Jay's better half!) and of course the gracious hosts John and Frank. Can't wait to go again!
WoooHooooooooo!

sorry I missed last thurs.
I heard it was really cool night.

I will be there this Thurs. for a few hours.
but after that I will be going to this event.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34428&forum=17&0

yes, that's spam folks, keep your spam cans to your self.
:)

Just want to say a big thank you to all the TC'ers who made last week such a great evening..looking forward to spinning more exotica classics, new bossa nova and other selections that fit into the contemporary Tiki mood this Thursday. I'll be mixing tracks from these....

alongside new tunes by Waldeck, Wax Tailor, DePhazz, the Karminsky Experience, Don-Tiki, Tikiyaki Orchestra and many more ! Hope to see you there !!

sounds great,
I'm just bummed I will not be able to stay all night.
can you ask them, if you can start at 7 pm Jay?
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

bump

Hi Jeff, I'm going to try and get started at 7.30 tomorrow night.

Hurray! I'm finally going to make it to TV LA on TC Night!

I'm going to the 7:30 Kings/Penguins game at the Staples, so TV is always on our schedule before the game. The redline makes traffic a breeze, so I'll be there about 5:45 pm! Might stop in after the game as well! :D

CA

ya... 7:30.....

I'm shootin for 7 or 7:30.

Jeff(btd)

Looking forward to this Thursday at Trader Vic's and still digging deep for the perfect rum & rhythm mix of old and new, so I'm going to try out tracks from these...

and keep searching through these...

Looking forward to this. Anyone else going?

I'm planning on being there this week.

Finally gonna make it up there this Thursday! I've got some fun tales of my time in Australia to share... tales of post rum sampling power point speeches! Hope to see some fellow tc'ers there!

J

Not to get off track here, but the Happy Hour last Friday was quite a different scene than what I imagine the recent Thursdays are like.

It was like a USC frat party. I was impressed by how many of the youngsters were sucking down the tropicals. I tried explaining classic Tiki culture to the co-ed sitting next to me. She politely humored me the same way I used to humor an ex-hippie coworker. "Oh, did I ever mention I went to Woodstock? Let me tell you about it (for the 100th time)". :)

Oh well, it was good to see TV doing a brisk business for a change.

I'm gonna try to make it, but not sure.
last weeks TC crowd was about 20 or so.

Jeff(btd)

I am in need of exotic revery tonite!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Nov 13, 2009 11:21 AM

How was your erotic rivalry last night bigbro?

Gonna be there this Thurs. Jay?

I'm assuming no for Thanksgiving?

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-11-17 18:01 ]

Pages: 1 2 85 replies