Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Huge Garage Sale including Tiki Stuff - Sherman Oaks CA October 10-11

Pages: 1 37 replies

First of all - if there are any T.C. members who wish to set up a table at our sale - please let me know - the more the merrier!!!

Huge Estate-like Garage Sale
4436 Katherine Avenue Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
down the street from the Sherman Oaks Library.

Saturday, October 10 9AM – 4 PM
Sunday, October 11 10AM – 2PM

(Half price deals on Sunday day to sell everything that's not sold on Saturday.)
We cleaned out 4 houses in Las Vegas and have a ton o' stuff. This is like an estate sale, we just did the pulling things out of the drawers and cabinets for you. There will be something for everyone! Lots of cheap junk for nickle and dime shoppers and nicer items for diamond in the rough collectors.

The Main Attraction:
Silent Auction Item - Rare molded plastic tiki from the Hala Kahiki in Chicago, IL
We're gonna do a crazy thing and have a silent auction for one special item - so you don't have to sweat being the first there. We just really want this to go to the person who wants them the most, not the first person who arrives. SPREAD THE NEWS TO YOUR Hala Kahiki loving TIKI FRIENDS!

There are pictures posted on Craig's List. that being said, we really have no idea what it's worth. It's more about getting it into the 'right' person's hands then selling it for the price listed on the ad.

Here's the rest of the stuff - including some misc tiki and related items of course....
Danish Mid Century Modern hutch, tools, ladder, electronic and plumbing supplies, kitchen tools, cutlery, knifes, toaster oven, 2 window air conditioners, expensive twin aero bed, queen air mattress, 3 1940’s metal patio chairs, portable stripper pole! vintage ashtrays, 1950’s tier formica corner table, 2 1960’s designer white wire patio rocker chairs, black wire chair, stacking wire metal tables, original 1960’s framed vintage oil painting, cocktail stuff, tiki mugs, drapes from Caesar's Palace, couple of board games, stack of white Ikea curtains, door knob parts, vintage green Hollywood Regency chandelier, Eichler glass globes, newer thrift store clothes, good vintage clothing, mens size medium and womens 8-12 and such, 2 etched vintage crystal glasses, shovels, hotel tv, frames, round tufted vinyl lounge chair from some bar, 1970’s Gretch toms, black felt english bowler, retro ephemera, books, 1960s Melmac brown and pattern coffee cup set, black leather jacket, vintage turquoise adjustable plastic dress form, case of 35 martini glasses (missing 1 from 3 dozen), tennis racket, racketball racket, king size gold vinyl headboard, quika persussion drum, and a set of crazy gold curtains from a 1960s house in Holmby Hills (need cleaning but still have fabulous life in them), gently used hello kitty bike by nerve, king sized platform bed frame, double sized futon, lane coffee table, 2 fiberglass eames chairs, great looking vintage Sony home stereo WITH 8 TRACK player with cool speakers!!!, newer sony am/fm radio cd player with speakers, another TV, more tiki mugs and tiki decorations! 1960s melmac brown and pattern coffee cup set, beatup black leather jacket, vintage turquoise adjustable plastic dress form, case of 35 martini glasses (missing 1 from 3 dozen), and soooooo much more i can't even begin to list.

PLEASE NO EARLY BIRDS
Hit your earlier 7AM and 8AM sales FIRST then swing by around 9AM Please do not show up at 7AM and sorry - no you can't come by and just get in to get that one item around 8AM.
(Now if you want to help out at the sale and sell stuff, too - of course - you get first dibs - all's fair in love and garage sales)
See you there!!!!!

[ Edited by: C.B. Howlie 2009-10-07 20:50 ]

[ Edited by: C.B. Howlie 2009-10-10 01:10 ]

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-10-08 09:12 ]

This is the only molded tiki I found on Critiki.Most of the tiki at Hala Kahiki was Witco .

M

Portable stripper pole...nice. :)

Tiki Chick: A Tiki Noob's Travels

MauiRose you may have posted on the wrong thread here .

M

Pretty sure this is the only thread I've seen on TC that mentions portable stripper poles, so I think I'm in the right place.

Wow ....it's amazing I am trying to find out about this tiki they have for sale, and all
you have is your stale humor about a portable stripper pole.Enough said, and lets not
hi jack this persons thread . C.B.Howlie can you confirm if this is the tiki you have
for sale ?

M

Just wondering how commenting on something in the original post is "hijacking"....

Anyway, hope you get the info you're looking for.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 8, 2009 12:15 PM

Will there be a silent auction for the portable stripper pole, too?

P

can you ship the stripper pole?

MN

On 2009-10-08 12:53, pdrake wrote:
can you ship the stripper pole?

It's portable?! Of course it can be shipped.

i'd be curious to see the hala kahiki tiki...i can definately verify it's origin.

I look through my magic mirror and I see:

...kitchen tools, cutlery, knifes, toaster oven, 2 window air conditioners, expensive twin aero bed, queen air mattress, 3 1940’s metal patio chairs, portable stripper pole! vintage ashtrays, 1950’s tier formica corner table, 2 1960’s designer white wire patio rocker chairs, black wire chair, stacking wire metal tables, original 1960’s....

will it break down and fit into a suitcase? (or an overcoat?) You never know when you might get the urge...

Here's the link to the craigslist posting: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/gms/1410971477.html

But there are not any pictures...yet...EDIT nevermind, cocojoe found it! (look at the next post!) THANKS! you are a SUPER SLEUTH!

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2009-10-08 20:00 ]

CJ

I will pass the donuts on that.Not impressed with it at all.The one I posted off of CriTiki
was a much cooler tiki.....oh well !

I do have info on the tiki if anyone want s to know about it p.m. me......i don't want to hijack this thread with it.....

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 9, 2009 9:47 AM

Does it go well with a stripper pole?

Enough with the frickin stripper pole already....old news old joke .
Let's stick to tiki can we ...we are on Tiki Central aren't we ?

Cocojoe thanks for posting that .

BB

Mmm Tiki Stripper Pole.

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Oct 9, 2009 2:04 PM

C.B. HOWLIE -

Please check your personal messages, man! Thanks!

A tiki stripper pole would most definitely have to be made of bamboo.

sorry guys, but the stripper pole was sold to a friend today. (good friend!)

anyways - the price we put on the craigslist ad for the tiki was just to keep the non-tikiphiles away from getting it 'just cause...'

we bought this 10 years ago from the hala mala shop and practically had to twist it out of the lovely older owner shopkeeper lady's arms. it was NOT for sale, but we begged and conived... and she succombed. then getting it on the plane home was another ordeal. it has been a great family member, but now has to be adopted into another family...

tipsy - please hijak the thread with details on it.
1961 surf - the craigslist ad listed earlier in this thread has 3 pictures on it.
tikiG - please do come by. we're literally filled to the brim with stuff, but there's always room for ohana. we'll find a spot for you. we open at 9AM, but come by at least 8AM to setup.

sorry i didn't respond earlier guys. we were loading up the truck, driving it down, then unloading for like 3 days... i will be away from email/internet after tonight again.

thanks for keeping the thread lively :)

[ Edited by: C.B. Howlie 2009-10-10 01:09 ]

Unpacking we found more items:

1960s or 1970s mini electronic plastic organ!
box of 1950s-1970s disney collectibles,
bunch of vintage postcards of la. and other places,
OLD aluminum christmas tree in box,
ALL the usual household items: glassware, pots, pans, towels, sheets (king and queen) dishes, frames, microwave oven, 2 toaster ovens, blender,
TONS of garage garbage: switch plates, hardware, tools, chainsaw, chisels, 2 spray guns, extension cords, shower fixtures, box of incandescent light bulbs, box of spray paint
JVC 5 disc CD player, am fm sansui receiver, lexmark printer, dvd player, scanner, modem,
Swizzle sticks, green glass float
New Old Stock IN BOX - Nutone intercom system outlets!!!
8mm projector with extra bulb (Chinon 4000 GL)
2 herman miller eames chairs from Ship's Culver City
pink Hello Kitty bicycle by NIRVE

okay- here goes....i recall that the tiki was always for sale in the shop...it was way too pricey for me as well as for others....the damage it suffered was no doubt caused by being in the back room of that gift shop for so long....It was never in the bar nor used as decor anywhere inside. I believe she said it she got it from a company to put in the shop to see if it would sell before purchasing more....wasn't a big seller due to price. she never got more. This tiki seems to be along the lines of a certain large moai, same size and hollow in back that was made by a company in the late 90's...I don't think the tiki you have is vintage or from the 50's or 60's...

that said, it's still a nice piece to decorate someones bar with and worth owning...for all we know only a few may have been made since i haven't seen any since....rose was real secretive about where she purchased things for the shop...she would never say where she aquired stuff...didn't want anyone to know lest they went straight to the source to buy stuff.

that's all i really know about it....I know others have seen it (i.e. tikibars, boutiki, etc) perhaps they can shed some light on this if you can get them to come out of obscurity long enough to join the conversation....

and surf1963 - those tikis in the hala kahiki garden are new....they are design toscano or something similiar like that..they have only been out there for a couple years or so.....nothing vintage.

next time i'm up there i'll inquire as to where they might have been purchased....unfortunately, the two people that would really know have passed away....i'll see what i can dig up.

sounds like a good sale...good luck to you !!

p.s.- i think if you place a light behind that tiki it may illuminate...??

" In a perfect world...Elvis would still be alive ....and all the elvis impersonators would be dead!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-10-10 05:41 ]

tiki is at $35!!!

sale continues tomorrow, sunday 110-2ish. come one come all.
we sold lots, but there's still more fun stuff that got uncovered from under the layers.

P

can i grind the plastic organ on a substitute stripper pole?

MT

No more portable stripper pole? Damn! I bet Bruce and Inky bought it!!!

Hey Carey, if you guys stumble across an extra "sense of humor" while unpacking all of your stuff, then let me know - I'd like to buy it and donate it to 1961surf.

[ Edited by: surfalaia 2009-11-10 15:10 ]

L

On 2009-10-11 03:33, Mai Tai wrote:
Hey Carey, if you guys stumble across an extra "sense of humor" while unpacking all of your stuff, then let me know - I'd like to buy it and donate it to 1961surf.

haha. I knew I always liked you Mai Tai!

Wish I could attend your sale and hope it goes well !

Hey Mai Tai...your sense of humor really fails to amuse me.
A comedian you are not..but while you are at it..why don't you kiss my ass!!

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-10-12 09:23 ]

'Thank you' to C.B. Howlie & the entire team that put this sale on.
It looks like things got pretty crazy there (some garage sale shoppers are fierce!); but you guys were absolute champs and did a great job.
You all seem like a fun bunch of people to boot!

Thanks again!

On 2009-10-12 08:43, 1961surf wrote:

you better take your diaper off first...

so who won the damn tiki already and how much were they taken for ?

MT

On 2009-10-12 08:43, 1961surf wrote:

We've already come up with a few reasons why I can't kiss your ass, but since you asked, let's outline them in a Top 5 list for you. Drum roll, please...

The top 5 reasons why I can't kiss 1961surf's ass:
5. you better take your diaper off first
4. How much does it cost to kiss your ass anyways? I sent you a PM but haven't heard back yet.
3. I would, but your "Rare Toes on the Nose Shag shirt available XXL" is in the way
2. Your "Womens hand beaded Hula girl purse" is in the way, too

1. I would kiss your ass, but my lips are already firmly planted on a Tiki Kaimuki Kapulapu Bumatay mug.

If you need further reasons, I'm sure all of us can add to the list. :wink:

Mai Tai never received any PM's from you .You are about 9 days after the fact
in your response.You really do need to get a life though buddy .
BTW Bill who is all of us ?

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-10-21 13:15 ]

MT

Sorry in the delayed response. I was really involved in some activities. Here are the
Top 5 reasons why I waited 9 days to respond: Drum roll, please...

1. I was too busy pestering, badgering, and hassling people for their stuff that I feel they got at an unfairly cheap price, because only I deserve those unfairly cheap prices
  2. I was then busy harassing and threatening those people, and having numerous meltdowns when they refused to hand the stuff over to me for virtually nothing, then demanding that they ship said items FOR FREE - because then I wasn't the one that was able to flip those items for large profits
  3. I was too busy bidding on, then retracting my ebay bids, just to test people's reserves on their items
  4. I was then really busy pestering other people and artists to go out and try to get stuff for me from the various people that I've pissed off and refuse to sell to me
    And the number one reason why I waited 9 days to respond:
  5. I have no sense of humor, and really need to lighten the fuck up!

Oh, wait, that's how YOU roll! It looks like you are the one that needs to get a life.

Here's a thought - lighten the fuck up, get a sense of humor, and chill! If you need to whine about this further, I suggest that you pass the donuts on this thread and take the discussion offline. But please, save the "I sent you a PM, but haven't heard back", routine for someone else, 'cause you've really worn that one out. And I suggest we both move on, to stop from further derailing this thread from all of the cool stuff that Carey had for sale. Including the portable stripper pole.

Pages: 1 37 replies