Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Elements of Tiki

Pages: 1 2 55 replies

Chip & A,
I think you pretty much hit the nail of the head. A wonderful mix of people shall remain unquantifyable. (sp) I had to quit drinking the good stuff about 9 yrs ago (Dr's orders, due to the fact I burned my candle at both ends, and in the middle back in the 60s-70s.) My wife and I still go to Kon tiki about once a month (she still gets to drink), and most of the time the people in there are NOT tikiphiles. Mostly college students getting drunk as fast as they can. Good entertainment sometimes but not tiki. And I'm usually the only one in there with an 'exotic' shirt on anyway.

low low lighting. The kind of atmospheric lighting where you almost need a flashlight to read the cocktail menu before your eyes adjust. And low volume exotica playing somewhere off in the distance just loud enough to enjoy but low enough to become part of the whole experience. Oh... and a jungle of plastic plants.

On 2009-10-18 21:33, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2009-10-18 19:25, bananabobs wrote:

On 2009-10-13 08:32, JOHN-O wrote:
And if you think about it, Tiki-philes today were never hippies.

How did you come up with that?

I think that most Tikiphiles today were too young to have been hippies. I would guess the average Tikiphile age to be mid 40's to early 50's. Anyone who could have been a hippie has got to be 10 years older than that.

Also most nostalgic posts here skew towards early Punk Rock rather than Woodstock or the Summer of Love.

Just my observation. If I'm mistaken, Tiki Hippies please step up and be counted. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-10-18 22:07 ]

I'm 54, my name is Steve and I'm a hippie.
Topanga Cyn commune, more Surf/hippie than Haight Ashbury, had large Coco Joes tiki on the dash of my 1958 VW bus that I lived in.

Helloo Steve!!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-10-20 19:18 ]

1970/71

Living off the land, working on VW's, surfing, life was good.

Dude, did you ever look at Kurt Cobain and yell "hey that's my shirt you poser!"

Just kidding, Loved the photos, thanks for sharing them.

And if I could pry my Hippie husband out of his blue work shirt, well my world would probably have ended.

As for my tiki element, two words:

Astro Turf

Or is it one, I never get that right!

Escapism...

This came to me while standing in my unheated garage, toasting bamboo for the bar watching 6''+ of snow fall.

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-10-23 13:15 ]

M

sorry... I couldnt resist.

An Element of Tiki.

I personally found it interesting at the last Oasis HOW MANY Elements were in the parking lot.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2009-11-04 09:52 ]

Pages: 1 2 55 replies