Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Repainted my table! Also pics of first jade carvings.

Pages: 1 6 replies

D

Repainted my bone carving table, design is not original, not sure but I think it's a Shag design, was something in a clip art folder from a few years ago.

My 'studio'.

First jade carvings. Far from perfect but turned out better than I hoped for learning the medium.

Club in progress.

Will try to find some pics of my bone carvings, or take pics of the odds and ends I have laying around and post them as well!

[ Edited by: djwirk 2009-10-20 16:19 ]

[ Edited by: djwirk 2009-10-20 16:21 ]

D

Bleh, bad photo quality, looked better on my phone!
Need to steal my wife's camera for taking macro shots of the carvings closer up so you can see how ugly they really are!

UI

Where can we get Jade pieces, suitable for carving ?

D

The stuff I've been using I picked up off of a few ebay auctions. Would like to find a more economical route but it hasn't been too expensive, got a few in 1/8th to 1/4th inch thick slabs and have worked them entirely with a rotary tool.

fyi - that's not a shag design, it's a KIRBY design though he may have been somewhat inspired by shag.

also - you seriously should consider reducing the size of your pictures. I don't particularly like to scroll left to right to view images, and it took a while to download on DSL. You also may want to host your images on tikicentral - that way they won't vanish after a while (look at posts from 2005 and before are littered with red "x"s because shutterfly changed their image locations), there is information here on how to do it:
http://www.tikicentral.com/faq.php#embed

Great looking jade carvings! keep carvin' and posting!!

D

Yeah, Kirby! I couldn't remember. I used to have a lot of artists stuff organized in folders for inspiration! HDD crashed and a recovery just put everything into folders by file type so I've lost all sort of organization!

Thanks for the heads up on the photos, will get them fixed. I didn't realize they were so big, just phone pics and my phones browser auto-re-sized them, looked at them on the PC and yeck!

K
kirby posted on Wed, Oct 21, 2009 8:47 PM

great reproduction of my painting for your work table..The original painting was done many moons ago for one of the Lucky tiki art shows and and was similar in size to the one you did on your table and it went on to be my signature tiki I used for my world famous paper tiki pendants..

Good luck and I hope the image gives you great inspiration..kirby

[ Edited by: kirby 2009-10-21 20:49 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies