Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

SDshirtman's first carve Finished 11/6/09

Pages: 1 2 55 replies

T

WOW!!!!! You just took the Cake. Hats off . that is one bad ass unique tiki .

B

Amazing first carve Shirtman! Your lines and detail are perfect.. I really like it with the clear coat you put on him as well, It does make it your detail really stand out..
Mahalo's for sharing him, Can't wait to see your next tiki carving!

BB

K
Kino posted on Fri, Nov 6, 2009 7:40 PM

I bow to your superb dedication to sanding.
Absolutely wonderful piece !

B

Just thought you could appreciate this for sanding especially between coats.

You can easily use these on an electric drill too!

This is a 6" version but these "Sanding Mops" come pre-mounted on 1/4" mandrels and in 2", 3" and 6" sizes in grits from 100 to 321. They make sanding life SO much easier and don't destroy detail like you would think. Enco and MSC both sell the 2 and 3" models.
HERE is the MSC page and DON'T fall for the straight Flap wheels, you need the Flap MOPS.
These are available from other sources too.
Enjoy

L

On 2009-11-06 13:41, SDshirtman wrote:

A really master piece!!! Congratulation! For your first it is a success and an incredible finish quality...

Re-congrat!

J.

Again thanks for the compliments from all of you.

4wdtiki- You're too kind. Your tikis were the inspiration for adding the burned in design work. I love you stuff. I'm going to take your advice and hold off on sealing the bottom for a little longer.

Benzart- I'm going to have to try out one of those sanding mops. To answer your question on my art background. For the last 20 years I've made my living in the screen printing industry doing design work. I started working for myself in 96 again doing screen printing and promotional swag. I still do quite a lot of freelance work but its mostly word of mouth. I work in all kinds of mediums but this is my first dimensional piece. By the way I love your carvings. The detail is just insane. I'd love to meet you someday if you ever get over to So Cal.

I committed my 2nd piece to a good friend who is a surfer/sailor from down under. So naturally its going to be a surf tiki. I'm already researching and sketching designs and would like the next one to be a study in efficiency. I have a really nice 5' log that tapers from 12'' to 24'' at the bottom. I want to try and shave off some time while still keeping the quality intact by using the chainsaw and grinder more extensively. I also want to do something more traditional with my next two pieces. I dont think I'll be able to start for a few weeks but we'll see. Thanksgiving holiday is coming up fast and would be a great time to get started on the next piece.

[ Edited by: SDshirtman 2009-11-08 13:44 ]

M
mieko posted on Sun, Nov 8, 2009 8:33 PM

Incredible! I'm really glad you went with a transparent brown for the airbrush - you really don't notice it, but I'm sure it adds a ton of depth. My one big piece that I did a lot of work on the finish for, I stained, then used a shellac, then put some more stain on top of the shellac (which is a great advantage of shellac). Of course it's not something you can put outside, but I don't think your guy should go outside either. :)

Great job! Can't wait to see the next one - maybe at the next chop! :)

SDshirtman!! that tiki came out so frickin beautiful!!! the sanding and finish and carving and design and..... oh damnit the whole thing is incredible!!!! hats off!! cheerz!

Pages: 1 2 55 replies