Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

jobu's apartment

Pages: 1 22 replies

J
JOBU posted on Sun, Oct 18, 2009 12:56 PM

If a Disney Haunted Mansion Ghost had sex with the Bride of Frankenstein on a Pirate ship in the 80's near Honolulu Bay... best describes our apartment....

Living Room

Kitchen

Hallway

Bedroom

It obviously was very dark on that pirate ship! I dig that Raiders Golden Idol. But how you're gonna babyproof all that! Not only in terms of breakables, but psychologically! Or you just proudly raise your child the Addams Family way :)

B

I personally like the knife holder! VERY gruesome! LOL Where would I find this BUTCHER block?

Of what I could see, it looks cool but I'm afraid you lost me at; "Disney Haunted Mansion Ghost had sex with the Bride of Frankenstein"

ok - I saw a couple of tikis and a couple of tiki mugs in the pics - but I see absolutely no way to call this a tiki bar or a practical fit to this website. certainly an eclectic and way out collectorium of insanity but where's the link to polynesian poly-pop or history -I dont see it.
Nice collecting skills however. quite a museum you have going there.

S

On 2009-10-18 19:11, jpmartdog wrote:
ok - I saw a couple of tikis and a couple of tiki mugs in the pics - but I see absolutely no way to call this a tiki bar or a practical fit to this website. certainly an eclectic and way out collectorium of insanity but where's the link to polynesian poly-pop or history -I dont see it.

I never read where he stated he had a tiki bar..The only thing Aloha was the mention of Honolulu Bay..
Agreed a very nice collection..
Jeez...Lighten up!!!

[ Edited by: slapbass 2009-10-19 08:03 ]

[ Edited by: slapbass 2009-10-19 08:04 ]

J
JOBU posted on Mon, Oct 19, 2009 1:17 PM

On 2009-10-18 17:46, beadtiki wrote:
I personally like the knife holder! VERY gruesome! LOL Where would I find this BUTCHER block?

You can find it at Spencers Gift or AHHH's Stores
Here's a link
http://www.stupidiotic.com/index.php?cPath=9_14&osCsid=38cf1e54b6ee7a73cc2d0242b72bcc1d

J
JOBU posted on Mon, Oct 19, 2009 1:23 PM

On 2009-10-18 18:25, bananabobs wrote:
Of what I could see, it looks cool but I'm afraid you lost me at; "Disney Haunted Mansion Ghost had sex with the Bride of Frankenstein"

Sorry, I didn't post all the pictures here's some more...

I have alot of Classic Universal monsters hiding in the shadows

On 2009-10-18 13:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
But how you're gonna babyproof all that! Not only in terms of breakables, but psychologically!

I went through a similar process with my two-year-old and all my junk (I mean collectibles). It's a never ending process to keep them from breaking stuff. Babies are so damn clever!

As for the psychological aspects, I've yet to see the final results, but Joe enjoys peering through the glass cabinets and has staring contests with some of the Tikis. Sometimes he'll growl at them if they seem too threatening. Sometimes he'll throw a Spiderman action figure at them to keep them in line. But he's never seemed scared of them.

I wonder what goes through his head sometimes. I mean, really, I would be suspicious of the fact that I had no siblings but Dad had a shelf full of finely detailed skull mugs. Strange, no?

It's a tough world out there, though. Maybe an environment like this is just what youngsters need.

By the way, that Phurbu kicks ass. I've wanted one ever since I saw "The Shadow." You can never have too many talking Tibetan daggers!

J
JOBU posted on Mon, Oct 19, 2009 1:46 PM

On 2009-10-19 08:01, slapbass wrote:

On 2009-10-18 19:11, jpmartdog wrote:

I never read where he stated he had a tiki bar..The only thing Aloha was the mention of Honolulu Bay..
Agreed a very nice collection..
Jeez...Lighten up!!!

[ Edited by: slapbass 2009-10-19 08:03 ]

[ Edited by: slapbass 2009-10-19 08:04 ]

Agreed, my collection is only a 1/4 tiki but vastly growing
Anyway, I always had the assumption that skeletons, vodoo, and zombies fit into the tiki realm of pop history as well.

Here's some more pics....

If that shouldn't be under the category of General Tiki then I guess I'll just say HAPPY HALLOWEEN !

[ Edited by: JOBU 2009-10-19 13:49 ]

[ Edited by: JOBU 2009-10-19 19:04 ]

S

Wow...That tiki slot machine is way to cool..Is it a mug?

T

On 2009-10-20 07:29, slapbass wrote:
Wow...That tiki slot machine is way to cool..Is it a mug?

Yep....done by none other than yer old pal Squid for Frankies Tiki Room in Vegas.

Cool place, Jobu!

I really like your tiki mug collection, especially the ones with a horror vibe to them. What's the story with the ghastly-looking green one, wearing the top hat? Never seen that one before, and he's right up my alley.

I collect a lot of horror stuff too, especially old school Universal Monsters. Those Neca Headknockers are really nice, great detail on those. I've got almost the complete set, I still need to get the Bride of Frankenstein though.

I collect vintage monster movie posters too, and some of those really fit in well with a tiki theme - Voodoo Island, The Zombies of Mora Tau, The Disembodied (great skull and female witch doctor images on that one), Macumba love, etc.

I see a lot of stuff in your photos that is making me drool. Those Frankenstein castles are waaay cool - wow. I definitely need to get more shrunken head stuff, even though their lips are sewed shut, those items in your collection really speak to me.

And is that a Zuni figure from the Trilogy of terror I see? Yowza, I may have to hunt one of those down for myself.

[ Edited by: Megalodon 2009-10-21 09:45 ]

[ Edited by: Megalodon 2009-10-21 11:36 ]

J
JOBU posted on Wed, Oct 21, 2009 1:22 PM

On 2009-10-21 09:31, Megalodon wrote:
Cool place, Jobu!

I really like your tiki mug collection, especially the ones with a horror vibe to them. What's the story with the ghastly-looking green one, wearing the top hat? Never seen that one before, and he's right up my alley.

I collect a lot of horror stuff too, especially old school Universal Monsters. Those Neca Headknockers are really nice, great detail on those. I've got almost the complete set, I still need to get the Bride of Frankenstein though.

I collect vintage monster movie posters too, and some of those really fit in well with a tiki theme - Voodoo Island, The Zombies of Mora Tau, The Disembodied (great skull and female witch doctor images on that one), Macumba love, etc.

I see a lot of stuff in your photos that is making me drool. Those Frankenstein castles are waaay cool - wow. I definitely need to get more shrunken head stuff, even though their lips are sewed shut, those items in your collection really speak to me.

And is that a Zuni figure from the Trilogy of terror I see? Yowza, I may have to hunt one of those down for myself.

Thanks for the kind words, it's nice to hear from a Horror Aficionado that is into Tiki as well

The green mug is from the Ghastly Ones band
http://www.ghastlyones.com/main.htm

and yeah that is the Zuni Doll that tried to kill Karen Black
Majestic Studios put some out for the Comic Con in 2004

I would like to check out some of your vintage posters if you get a chance snap a few pics and post them

JOBU

Jobu- love the place. It seems we have similar tastes as we have a lot of the same pieces.

On 2009-10-21 09:31, Megalodon wrote:
Cool place, Jobu!
I really like your tiki mug collection, especially the ones with a horror vibe to them.

On 2009-10-22 08:40, MondoMcGonzo wrote:
Jobu- love the place. It seems we have similar tastes as we have a lot of the same pieces.

I smell a Tiki Central take-over conspiracy by horror and sci-fi nerds! :lol:

On 2009-10-22 15:05, bigbrotiki wrote:
I smell a Tiki Central take-over conspiracy by horror and sci-fi nerds! :lol:

We have infiltrated your planet throughout earth's many cultures, but undoubtedly we find the Tiki Culture to be the most fascinating.

Actually, when I think about it, most of the collectors of old-school monster movie memorabilia that I know are also into tiki...especially fans of the Creature From the Black Lagoon.

BTW, bigbrotiki Sven, I am a huge fan of The Book of Tiki, and just ordered a copy of Tiki Modern today. Mahalo for all the delicious eye candy and the tasty morsels of knowledge.

On 2009-10-21 13:22, JOBU wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, it's nice to hear from a Horror Aficionado that is into Tiki as well

The green mug is from the Ghastly Ones band
http://www.ghastlyones.com/main.htm

and yeah that is the Zuni Doll that tried to kill Karen Black
Majestic Studios put some out for the Comic Con in 2004

I would like to check out some of your vintage posters if you get a chance snap a few pics and post them

JOBU

Aha, I thought the character on that green mug looked familiar! I did a little googling on that mug and found out that the Ghastly Ones' front man, Baron Shivers himself, sculpted it. Wow, that guy is multi-talented.

Love their music - need to order some more of their discs (wish you could buy their stuff in stores, their cds are rare and the old ones sure get expensive fast).

I have a print of one of their cd covers, 'Unearthed'. I bought it from the illustrator Jeff Preston, who's been a guest at Dragon Con the past couple of years.

I'm not much of a photographer, but I plan to take some pictures of some of my posters soon for you. Thanks for sharing images of your creepy Tiki crypt with us.

J
JOBU posted on Sun, Oct 25, 2009 3:03 AM

Ohhhh...things are going to get much more creepier when I add pics of the new baby room...

The above kudos are very much appreciated, thank you. About the Tiki and the Horror genre intersecting: To me, they are two different things. Being who I am, I am the watchdog of good Tiki, who is very trigger-happy when anything comes by that waters down or muddles up what Tiki is. I am not saying you guys are doing that, so hear me out:

In the course of the Tiki Revival, (which has been an amazing, inspired explosion of creativity), other genres like Rockabilly and Hot Rod/Big Daddy Roth style have successfully ursurped Tiki, even though they had no direct connection to it -other than that they are 50s/60s retro culture. This is somewhat understandable: When we "we-don't-wanna-grow-up"-kids run out of toys to play with, we go look for other like-minded playmates, and then we wanna make them all one happy family.

Horror/Goth/Steam punk are lovely genres, but in my opinion too many "Tiki" mugs have already been made that look like Monster mugs, not Tiki mugs. There even is a so-called "Tiki" mug out there that looks like the Ghostbuster's demon dog!

Call them Monster/ Horror/ novelty/ what ever mugs, but not Tiki mugs, please. The only cross-over between Tiki and Horror is the Zombie, and shrunken head/ head hunter trophies.

Now one perspective from which we can view the intermingling of Horror and Tiki as presented in this thread is that of the COLLECTOR. Private collections of curiosities, from the 17th century on, mixed all sorts of objects of strange and unknown origin, because there was a general curiosity for other cultures and the natural sciences:

In the 20th century, many artists like the Surrealist Andre Breton assembled eclectic collections of Oceanic art mixed with contemporary art and found objects:

Andre Breton's apartment:

A wall in his office:

Detail of the collection:

Sooo....the question is not so much if Tiki and horror collections cannot be combined like shown, it is more if Tiki Central is the right place for the posting of tons of pics of horror collectibles and the subsequent discussion of them. :)

J

I remember in the mid 1970's going to the TIKIS in Monterey Park for their annual haunted house. They would re-enact grisly scenes of horror violence with lots of fake blood and entrails under flickering lights (which gave it all a surreal slow motion effect). Hammer classics like the "Horror of Dracula" were projected on a large screen for those waiting in line.

Categorize this under "Tiki Halloween Devolution". This is the missing link.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-10-25 15:16 ]

J
JOBU posted on Sun, Oct 25, 2009 9:03 PM

Bigbrotiki, I completely agree with you. Tiki is Tiki! It was not my intention to muddle contemporary horror with Tiki. Although I want that Ghostbusters mug, I would not consider it Tiki. I did not mean to start a whole historical debate about what is considered Horror or Tiki. In the Halloween spirit, I just wanted to post a couple of pics from my apartment before we changed it for the baby. The fact is, we are all collectors, and it is nice to see common interest with our friends. Sven, we all greatly respect your opinion and hold your books in the highest regards. Where else should we have this kind of discussion, if not on Tikicentral, perhaps when sipping your favorite drink at the Rumpus Room.
Mahalo,
JOBU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EpLQ5u5Ugo

[ Edited by: jobu 2009-10-25 23:28 ]

On 2009-10-25 14:18, bigbrotiki wrote:
The above kudos are very much appreciated, thank you. About the Tiki and the Horror genre intersecting: To me, they are two different things. Being who I am, I am the watchdog of good Tiki, who is very trigger-happy when anything comes by that waters down or muddles up what Tiki is. I am not saying you guys are doing that, so hear me out...

Point taken, BigbroTiki Sven. It's certainly not my intention to go off-topic here, and take the focus away from Tiki in any way. I am here to soak up the atmosphere, to learn, and to marvel at other members' creations and collections.

I didn't mean to imply that the Tiki and horror genres intersect (other than in the Zombie/Shrunken Head motif, as you mention). I just observed that some collectors that I know tastes overlap into both areas. I understand and respect your diligence as 'Grand Tiki Watchdog' in making sure that the waters are not muddied.

BTW Sven, loved the photos that you posted, where do you find all those ultra-cool pics? I particularly got a kick of Andre Breton's pad. I've been a huge fan of the surrealist movement for several decades, but had never seen those pictures before...which I found totally fascinating.

I also really relate to your reference of the COLLECTOR. In my own budget-minded way, that's where I'm coming from. Most of my collections are pop-culture oriented, but lately I've taken to collecting things such as dinosaur teeth and bone & eggshell fragments. In a strange way, they somehow inspired me to start collecting more Tiki.

My place is not pure Tiki by any means, but I do wish that I had at least one room that was purely Tikified. If I ever own a house, my dream is to have a Tiki Bar room.

[ Edited by: Megalodon 2009-10-26 15:14 ]

[ Edited by: Megalodon 2009-10-26 15:30 ]

That is a dream that many of us have, I believe: Have a house with many rooms that all can be themed differently. :)

To have a house that is filled with curios and intriguing objects was one of the key concepts of the Tiki bar environment. See my post on and read the text of "Vagabond's House" here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28990&forum=1&vpost=393298

As I said, guys, I was not honing in on ya personally, just making folks aware in general and using the opportunity to point out again that Tiki is in danger of being watered down, and that there are way too many big toothed, more-cartoon-than-anything-Polynesian, Monster Tikis out there already.

I shot the Breton pics at the Musee Pompidou in Paris, they recreated a whole wall from his office in the museum. I am planning a complete post on that here.

Pages: 1 22 replies