Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Polynesian restaurant china and serveware

Pages: 1 2 91 replies

Time for a list of flatware or more commonly known as silverware. Seems to be not as common as the china for some reason but fits the thread just fine.

Oneida Flatware

Mauna Loa, Detroit
Kahiki

B

Cool stuff. Here is a menu from the Mauna Kai and I will add info in Locating Tiki.....

Tons of china makers and restaurants listed so far. I have added some more to the list. Here is a plate that I picked up awhile back. The plate is the same pattern used at the Hawaiian Cottage but in a yellow color. Thanks for all of the input and photos.

Trav,

I see you had this on your list, but did not see the image of this plate I saw on ebay.

The South Pacific from Buffalo China.

I wonder which South Pacific this is from? I don't think it is from the well known Hallandale location. This is like that SP mug mystery.

DC

BK

A coupla new additions:

The creamer is Jackson. The mug just says IHS on the bottom.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2010-03-07 20:22 ]

UT

Powder blue Scorpion bowl by Tepco. The first one by Tepco that I have found.

Found this big Trader Vic's Menehune platter today. Measures 14" by 11" and shows the Menehunes bringing food and a barrel of rum to the hut.
oops! I see Sven had posted this one way back on page two. I like it allot though.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2010-08-14 16:34 ]

Aku Aku Las Vegas Platter

Made by Sterling - East Liverpool Ohio, USA

[ Edited by: Tiki Shaker 2010-08-14 17:11 ]

Trav,

Here is a Mayer China plate from the Kapiolani Drive Inn Restaurant I saw on the net. I don't know much about this place, but it is one cool plate.

DC

UT

Here are a couple of patent drawings that I thought would fit in here. There are more out there for liquor decanters but I didn't think they fit the theme of the thread. First up a stemware glass made for Trader Vic's by Morgantown Glass. Dated 1958.

Closeup.

Patent drawing for Trader Vic"s skull mug dated 1939. Produced by Tepco. Though some may not consider this design a true Tiki mug the early patent date puts it in the running as one of the earliest mugs designed for a Polynesian restaurant in my view.

BK

Trav, those are awesome! Where'd ya find those?

J

The patent search is a great way to kill some time.

Trav,

This plate from the Huke Lau sold on ebay recently. Made by Jackson China. The listing said it was from on the the location in Chicopee, MA.

DC

BK

DC, That's definitely from Chicopee. My buddy has a glass with the same graphics. I was watching that & her other serving ware auctions, but they got too rich for my blood. I'm pinching pennies right now.

Big kahuna,

I was watching those as well, the plates were all very nice and sold for handsome prices in today's market.

Here is another plate from the auction - from the Bali Hai and also made by Jackson China. There was no location identified in the auction.

DC

On 2010-08-14 19:19, Dustycajun wrote:
Trav,

Here is a Mayer China plate from the Kapiolani Drive Inn Restaurant I saw on the net. I don't know much about this place, but it is one cool plate.

DC

Trav,

Found this photo of the Kapiolani Drive In Restaurant that matches the plate. It was located in Honolulu.

DC

UT

Here is a great little teapot that was on eBay awhile ago. Made by Jackson China for the Aloha Restaurant in Rochester NY. Nice rendering of the restaurant on it.

8T

Found this platter recently but have no idea where it was used. Any ideas? Measures 13" wide. It is unmarked on the back.

A few of these plates and platters from the South Pacific restaurant have been surfacing on ebay.

Made by Wallace China.

DC

A few more from ebay. Here is a plate from the Mauna Loa in Mexico featuring the classic Picasso Tiki.

The manufacturer, never seen this one before.

And other plate from Tiki Jack's made by Tepco.

Never heard of this place. Anybody else?

DC

8T

Trader Vics Dinner Plate

Back side

Plates from the Polynesia Restaurant located in Seattle.

Made by Jackson China.

And a plate from the Willows Restaurant in Hawaii.

Made by Sterling.

DC

Took this picture awhile ago, but forgot to post it.
In Moundsville, WV there's a museum at the mound from which the town takes it's name, exhibits talk about local history in addition to the Adena people who built the mound and one is titled: "Homer Laughlin China Company: West Virginia’s Gift to the World". In this exhibit they have "the OTHER Great Wall of China"
And wouldn't you know it, there on the wall is Homer Laughlin's Trader Vic's logo plate.

Homer Laughlin's mentioned in this thread, the HLC plate with the menehune border is shown, and the TV logo plate from Sterling China, but it looks like they produced these as well at some point.

If you want to know more about the mound:
http://www.wvculture.org/museum/GraveCreekmod.html
The plate on wall of china is shown in the video at 3:09.

It's very close to Young's Cafeteria, which is tiki in WV!
http://critiki.com/location/?loc_id=571

At an area estate sale last week I found a binder full of Hall China (East Liverpool, OH) brochures.
But the one that thrilled me was the one for their
"Dynasty of extraordinary colors...

captured in a variety of Chinese, Japanese, Polynesian table top designs"

I knew that had a few shapes (I have the shell and coconut) but didn't know that they marketed to this market!
I was really thrilled because I had just picked up and put down this lovely lady:

I left with her and the brochure.

BK

That's pretty damn cool. Was there anybody there to talk to about its origins?

On 2013-03-08 17:09, Big Kahuna wrote:
That's pretty damn cool. Was there anybody there to talk to about its origins?

Nobody! and no other Hall china to be found. It was the second day of the sale and I think that must've sold already (and the staff wasn't interested in chatting up some crazy man about an old piece of wood.)

T

Mauna-Kai 10" plate. Same as the Explorer East plate except for the logo and color.

A Mexican Mauna Loa tea cup. Cool logo I've always thought...

Great stuff guys !! Here is an interesting article about TEPCO as a side note.
http://www.meathenge.com/2006/06/collectible_res/

M

[ Edited by: Mids&Mods 2014-06-05 20:17 ]

Found this Polynesian Village rarity recently at flea market near Fort Worth and was thrilled to add it to my collection. Not sure I've seen it on any of the forums as of yet. I'd love to talk with any DFW area historians about the place. I've accumulated a pretty sizable collection of artifacts, history and photographs of the old Western Hills hotel and was excited to hear about some potential publishing projects. Look forward to talking more soon.

S
smini posted on Wed, Dec 17, 2014 8:58 PM

This is an awesome thread! Fun to see all the dishware from all of these places. Thanks for posting!

Nice Polynesian Village teapot!

A couple more items for the archives:

Teacup from the Reef located in Casper Wyoming, made by Wellsville China.

Teacup from the Aloha Restaurant to match the teapot posted by Trav, made by Jackson China.

And, a plate from the Island House made by Jackson China.

DC

UT

Great additions guys. DC I love that last image you posted. Paul MacCobb is one of my favorite mid century designers. Interesting to see that he designed dinnerware for that location.

Found four of these plates recently and have struck out on finding out who made it or where it may have been used. No markings on the back of the plates.

Nice plate. Lance. DC, you're killing me!

K
kiara posted on Wed, Mar 11, 2015 2:05 PM

Here's one you don't see too much from....

I'd love to see some china from the Mainlander...if any exist.

Cool find Kiara. The Luau cup is one I have not seen before. Looks like they "borrowed" their logo from the Luau 400 in NYC. As seen in this image posted by DC.

Here is an article from the Red Wing Collectors Society. Has some great information about Red Wing's relationship with Trader Vic's.

C

I added these to the Islander thread, but thought I should put them here as well.

Love that Luau logo

FM

This is a Trader Vic's spoon.

Made by the International Silver Co. Has BP and Trader Vics stamped on it. I had to disable the flash to get the details, so the spoon looks discolored, but it's not.

8T

Just found these 2 Dinner plates.

Back is marked:

They are about 60 years old according to the information I found:

Vincent Broomhall looking over his wares at a trade show in the 1950s.

Continental Kilns & Vincent Broomhall
Continental Kilns was a pottery company in Chester, West Virginia which operated from 1944 until 1957.
It was spearheaded by designer Vincent Broomhall who intended to make translucent ware similar to Bellek.[1].
Most examples of Continental Kilns found today will be hand-painted patterns on semi-vitreous bodies.
Some of the most common patterns and pieces are:

Green Arbor - an embossed shape with pink or yellow flowers. Solid colors such as yellow also exist.
Woodleaf - yellow and brown floral on a square shape. Some pieces in contrasting brown.
Cat Tail - brown and green cat tail decoration. Some pieces in contrasting green.
Tropical - brown and green leaves
Tahiti - palm tree in browns and greens
Puritan - the Green Arbor shapes with gold trim
Bali Hai - red, green and brown floral
Stardust - brown leaves with green bursts
Child's Duck plates, bowls, and mugs in blue and pink
Borden's Elsie mugs
Jumbo "mother" and "father" cups
Snack plates
Trade Winds - coral and brown leaves
Luster - various pieces with pearlized glaze and gold trim

Sweet