Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Mickey Hart Music

Pages: 1 2 76 replies

I'd like to know what the music lovers among us think of Mickey Hart and his old school drum and rythym stuff like "Planet Drum" and "To The Edge And Back"

http://www.bedtimestoriesforsurfers.com

[ Edited by: Hangtentiki 2009-11-20 20:26 ]

TM

Nothing personal, but these are the following types of music that should be talked about in this section:

"Exotica, Lounge, Cocktail, Hawaiian, Vocals & Standards, Bump & Grind, Space-Age, Surf, Rockabilly, Swing and Tiki band discussion."

And as talented as Mickey Hart is, he fits none of these categories.

I do agree, and buy what your saying. I wanted to see if anyone still cares... I'm an old school, old guy, and have seen too many good things chewed-up and swallowed by main stream cancer. I hope this does not continue to happen to the Tiki Oasis. There are a lot of good things outside of our love for the time of Tiki. But I think one of our main goals on this site is preservation of a slice in time.

[ Edited by: Hangtentiki 2009-11-01 20:09 ]

TM

On 2009-11-01 06:03, Hangtentiki wrote:
I think one of our main goals on this site is preservation of a slice in time.

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/10849/4aecdacc.jpg)  

[ Edited by: Hangtentiki 2009-11-01 06:04 ]

Right, and that slice in time is mid-century poly-pop. (an epoch I am entirely devoted to!)

I think where I have (and have always had) a problem is this urge a lot of posters on this forum have to equate hippy culture (which is albeit, a creative and vital culture) with tiki/poly pop. I see no connection between the two, and never have. But over the 6-7 years I have been part of this forum, I have noticed a not-so-subtle attempt by hippies to infiltrate and try to reclaim the music of the Eisenhower and Nixon generation as their own. The Buffet people also try the same tact these days, thinking that a margarita and some thatch in your bar makes things "tiki".

Not to say one is better then the other. Since there are a LOT of hippies on this forum, I won't say too much negative about it at this time. But MY preference is the original, pre-hippy music scene. Sophisticated, urban "savages" and the bachelor pad music they listened to.
I advise all newer posters to this forum to get a copy of Sven Kirsten's "book of tiki". it's practically cannon around here, and will really demonstrate graphically what tiki is (and isn't) about.

Now, before I get flamed to death with rare exceptions of hippies that crossed over to tiki, or co-existed with. (like that one exotica/hippy guy whose name I forgot)..please understand that it is very rare, and not the norm. The music of Les Baxter, for example, is famous for being an exotic type of jazz music, played by guys with neat, short hair. The people who listened to it went to cocktail lounges with their dates, dressed to the nines. it was a very different culture then the hippies that came after. Hippy was a youth culture at heart, exotica/lounge was the soundtrack for urban, middle aged, middle class people. Essentially, the yuppies of yesteryear. it's is true that people like les Baxter and even Arthur Lyman experimented in the late 60's with the current pop scene of the 60's. So did Frank Sinatra, so did Sergio mendes. But I have always disliked those songs and recordings. "Born free"? Give me Les Baxter's "shooting star" any day!

I am sure the usual hippies on this forum will dissagree most vigorously, and they are free to post about why they think hippie and tiki is the same or interchangeable. But I would challenge their reasoning, and always have. yes, a person can like both genres. Heck, I like classical music AND country-western, for example.

Of course, I am referring only to the musical elements of tiki. In the design and artwork (especially the recent incarnations from modern tiki artists) there is some shared elements. Tiki art as it is today could be considered to be "trippy", and some of it shares the same density and colors that hippy art does.

And also, surf culture has always had some shared connection between hippy and tiki.

These are my opinions only, but I am sure there are 2 or 3 other people on this forum that would agree with me.

Now here is something controversial, a theory I have: The bachelor pad/lounge scene and the types of people that listened to it back in those days equate FAR more to those people who listen to and like what is known as "smooth jazz" in this time period. I happen to really like the smooth jazz band "The Rippingtons", for example. A lot of their music is tropical themed, but not very authentic. These are hallmarks (in my opinion) of what the original intent of the exotica/lounge scene was. I also think the demographics where essentially the same. The people who listened to what was known in the mid 50's as "beautiful music" or "easy listening" could easily have been transported to this generation, and I think (or at least my theory is) that they would be more into smooth jazz then they would be into surf rock or hippy music.

So, begin the flaming!

BB

I agree with you Lucas 100% but I'm trying to U-Mod this entire post to be deleted before some other hippies do a Mickey Hart Google search and find it. Hippies are all peace and love until you knock one of their heroes then they quickly become angry Manson Family Hippies. :)

I added the smiley face because Hippies like smiley faces and it should calm them down.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 1, 2009 9:41 AM

TM

On 2009-11-01 09:26, Bora Boris wrote:
Hippies are all peace and love until you knock one of their heroes, then they quickly become angry Manson Family Hippies. :)

Best post ever! My new signature line!

H

As long as Hangtentiki has that big advertisement as a signature I'm gonna have to believe that Hangtentiki is not really here for conversation and is actually here just to try to sell books. If Hangtentiki wants to make a sincere impression, he/she should dump the spam ad signature. If Hangtentiki wants to sell books to TC members, he/she should buy a banner ad. Until then, I have put Hangtentiki and his/her book on my ignore list.

Mickey Hart a hippie? How can you condense a man of his stature to what I think you are using as a slur. Some people just love to label and bottle the world. Much of his work is poly-jazz. The Tiki culture is a wonderful experience, a world of gentleman and etiquette. How come we have all these trolls just waiting under the bridge to slam into you. Aloha and Mahalo

BB

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 1, 2009 3:50 PM

Boris, you so funny! You should be a comedian or something.

GROG must strive to be as funny as Boris. One day, maybe.

OK, now back to people picking on HangTenTiki for posting a question about Hippie music.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-11-01 15:57 ]

Aloha Grog, I'm not really sure what your post means? But with an average of almost 4 posts a day for almost 4 years, I can see why.

[ Edited by: Hangtentiki 2009-11-01 20:07 ]

HL

How about someone just moves the discussion to "Beyond Tiki."

Then we can all hug, pass a joint, and try to takeover Disneyland.

On 2009-11-01 12:16, Hakalugi wrote:
As long as Hangtentiki has that big advertisement as a signature I'm gonna have to believe that Hangtentiki is not really here for conversation and is actually here just to try to sell books. If Hangtentiki wants to make a sincere impression, he/she should dump the spam ad signature. If Hangtentiki wants to sell books to TC members, he/she should buy a banner ad. Until then, I have put Hangtentiki and his/her book on my ignore list.

As someone that's recently conversed with HTT quite a bit, I feel I should 'speak up' for his intentions regarding tiki and/or selling his book. This guy's got a TON of mugs, etc. in his abode. So much so, that he's to be featured in an upcoming 'Totally Tikified' article of Tiki Magazine. So you don't miss it, watch for his 'Attic of Addiction.' It's quite impressive.

Regarding the book, I've read it and like it. And I'm sure the signature thing is an attempt to get his book out there and yes, sell copies. But, c'mon. If you're gonna knock him for that...you better start knocking every over artist, writer, band, etc. on this site. At least one out of every 5 posts have something that will direct you to their stuff and I don't see anything wrong with that IF it all connects to the genre of Tiki. And for the record, his book has a lot of cool tie ins.

Now...back to the original purpose of this topic. Mickey Hart. I can see how he may fit in some people's tiki experience. His music is exotic, it's rhythmic, it transports you to a foreign land. I get the same feel when I listen to Baxter or Denny. And the particular album that is referenced sounds nothing like hippy music to me. So, yeah, I could see adding it to the rotation, if one was so inclined.

Now to to quote some rather famous hippies...'Trouble with you is the trouble with me. Got two good eyes but you still don't see.' Ironically, these lines make more sense after reading some of the comments posted to this thread. Enjoy!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 1, 2009 11:55 PM

On 2009-11-01 19:27, Hangtentiki wrote:
Aloha Grog, I'm not really sure what your post means? But with an average of almost 4 posts a day for almost 4 years, I can see why.

Average of 2.62 posts a day for 3 years, 4 months. Writers---always exaggerating!

Hung10"tiki post innocent enough question and the thread turn ugly fast with the hippybashing.
Thank God GROG and Boris there to add levity to the situation.

TM

Is this forum about Tiki or isn't it? WTF does hippy music have to do with poly pop? (other then the fact that hippy music KILLED off the tiki and lounge music scene) Let's discuss THAT!

Does anybody think that the band W.A.S.P. is Tiki? I heard that Blackie Lawless went to Hawaii before.

he he

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2009-11-02 08:16 ]

On 2009-11-02 08:16, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Does anybody think that the band W.A.S.P. is Tiki? I heard that Blackie Lawless went to Hawaii before.

he he

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2009-11-02 08:16 ]

That's just wrong....but man, was that funny! I almost did a 'spit take' with my coffee.

TM

In a tribute to hippies all over, I decided to go as "Mike Gordon from the band Phish" for halloween...I hope all you hippies like it!

TM

Got Djembe?

C

Well, I might as well jump in. Anyone who calls Mickey Hart/Planet Drum/Global
Drum Project/etc "hippie music"...just because Mickey was/is in a hippy band....
hasn't listened to any of it. I guess that means Dylan is a 'folkie."

BB

Yes Dylan is a Folkie.

TM

On 2009-11-03 14:42, congatiki wrote:
Drum Project/etc "hippie music"...just because Mickey was/is in a hippy band....

It may or may not be. Jerry Garcia played non-hippy music with Ornette Coleman and David Grisman, but he was a hippy from the start, and maintained the hippy appearance and attitude his whole life. And yes, Dylan was a "folkie" at his core. Johnny Cash was a country artist from the start. People can switch musical styles, but hippies generally follow a hippy code which dictates their attitude and appearance as well. I say, once a hippy ALWAYS a hippy. I am proud that I never became one.

But regardless, whether you consider Mickey hart a hippy or not, his music has little to nothing to do with poly-pop. Can you at least agree with that?

As much as you hippies would like it to be, this forum is not a hippy forum. It is dedicated to the poly-pop phenonenom known as "tiki", which is a product of the pre-hippy era. Why is this so hard for hippies to understand this concept? I know you want to spead your agenda, which is to make everyone a trust fund, djembe playing hippy...but Les Baxter was never any of those things.

I get that there are many hippies that are attracted to tikis and many hippies that live on Maui, but let's not confuse Hawaiian style with "tiki". That's been all but proven on this forum.

TM

And by the way, not only have I heard the album you are talking about, I also read the book. I have several hippy friends that are always trying to convert me to their cause, and one of them loaned me Mickey Hart's book to read years ago. I always give hippy-ness a chance, and am always dissapointed.

Sorry, I just can't get into that lifestyle.

And did you know that if you routinely are mindlessly and tunelessly banging away on a Djembe (while wearing your beanie cap and birkenstocks), that you are at risk for woolsorter's disease? Just one more reason not to be a hippy, INMHO.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-11-03 15:21 ]

Here is what happens when hippy's and tiki mix ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKr-WKT4aiA Ha Ha Good Times

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2009-11-03 15:32 ]

C

Well there clearly won't be any informed discussion on this thread. Gonna go check
out some "poly pop" Frank Sinatra on You Tube, and I'll probably bang along on
my djembe. No hippy sandles up here though, too cold.

TM

On 2009-11-03 15:31, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Here is what happens when hippy's and tiki mix ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKr-WKT4aiA Ha Ha Good Times

OMG!!!!!

This is the music the Smoking Menehunes played BEFORE I joined!!!!

Spermy, you made my day!~!

TM

Now I can't get that song out of my head!

WE LOVE TIKIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

But even more, we love GWAR!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_-JnarzUg

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-11-03 15:49 ]

Waitaminnit, isn't Merrel Fankhauser a SURF guitarist, so this is SURF ??? :lol:

I think they should have a battle of the bands with Florida's THE TIKI BAND, and Mojo Nixon in the middle singing "I'm a prisoner of the Tiki Room":
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QEGOGC/ref=dm_dp_trk10?ie=UTF8&qid=1255570390&sr=301-1

...all the while the NEON TIKI TRIBE dances to the music!

TM

Looks like he's been around for awhile!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrell_Fankhauser

C

Fankhauser was a hippie, always a hippie.
Dylan was a folkie,not a folkie now.
Lucas vigorously like Jobim, nice music, apparently fits into these
threads,lounge, bossa nova, samba, Black Orpheus soundtrack, lots of
percussion.
Mickey Hart, similar percussion, no hippie overtones, seems Lucas
vigorously inconsistent. Certainly not tiki music by any stretch,
but not altogether unlike Chaino or other "accepted" sounds. Certainly
as "tiki" or "poly pop" as surf music.

TM

A majority of the bossa nova I like is from the early 60's, and features tropical rythems, lush strings and tinkling piano. Hallmarks of lounge music. Mickey Hart has nothing to do with tiki, not now, not ever.

On 2009-11-03 15:31, The Sperm Whale wrote:

That was just good, we don't give a crap fun. Thank's - I needed that.

[ Edited by: Hangtentiki 2009-11-03 18:31 ]

On 2009-11-03 14:42, congatiki wrote:

That's about it, pure and simple. And Mickey's music is exotic, maybe not exotica... I'm a hard core 60's guy I lived through it all, and Nam. I know the difference, good old surf and new wave exotic and Mickey's stuff rings true to me. It takes me right back to the Tiki's bars. I do have to say that SOME of the so called surf/rock played at the last Tiki Oasis and Bali Hai really sucked. But that just me.
The Blue Hawaiian's. ALWAYS get a Hang *TEN Tiki, from me, their the best.

TM

I think that people on this forum do come from several vastly different directions when they head to tiki. For some, it's like the rockabilly crowd. You know, Tiki is punk rock's "retirement program". Other's are hippies looking for that mellow vibe and discovering Martin Denny. Then there are surfers who always had a tiki or two at their beach luau, and love slack key as much as they love surf rock. And finally there are the pure poly popsters, who love the tiki craze of yesterday with all it's trimmings and trappings. The people pictured eating pupus and drinking mai tais in Sven 's "book of tiki". I would say I fit more in that group. But, I am not a person that believes most people truly inhabit all those personality types at the same time. I think by nature each of us is part of a certain group. Yes, you can like Sinatra AND the grateful dead at the same time but I think if you really ponder it, you will find that you like one far greater then the other.

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2009-11-04 06:19 ]

C

First off, I hardly visit "Tiki Music" because it is one of the more boring
threads on TC. How much new discussion about Martin Denny can there be?
If anyone suggests an artist that fits into the "tiki motif" they will
be "Buffetized" by a member of the tiki illuminati.

I just happened to stumble upon a discussion of Mickey Hart. I am
not a Deadhead, I have seem various versions of "Planet Drum" a few times,
have read more than one of Mickey's books, and have listened to all of
the cds repeatedly. To simply categorize this music as "Hippie Music"
is preposterous. This music would appeal to many people who take a
portion of their home and convert it into an "exotic" experience.

The real issue here is that there is a wealth of music that would
appeal to many visitors to Tiki Central, not just Mickey Hart, but
Sabu, Tito Puente, Mongo Santamaria, Ry Cooder, and on and on.

If we should only discuss Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, and Les Baxter
this will remain a pretty sleepy place. Who is the "most hip"
among us? Lucas Vigor?

BB

Hey Hippie, Shh!

:lol:

Okay I’m done laughing at my own post now but honestly that music no matter how talented the artist is does not belong here. Sure it takes you to an exotic world and I guess that world is Planet Drum and I’m out! It doesn’t look like a lot of Tiki Central members care either way and the ones that say it doesn’t belong here are being called Trolls which is always nice especially coming from a spammer. If you’ve given something a chance and you can’t stand it whether it’s Cilantro or Mickey Hart there’s no changing it. I’m sorry that only two Tiki Central members have chimed in on Mickey Hart’s side but to me that verifies that it doesn’t belong on this forum. Why not try http://www.drumforum.org and maybe you’ll get a more positive response there.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2009-11-03 20:46 ]

C

Hey, I didn't start this thread, I simply responded to a question.
That question was what we thought of one direction of Mickey Hart's
music. Isn't that what a forum should be, question, response?

It's funny that a member who portrays himself as part of the "Un Kool"
wants to set all the standards for what is worth discussing or
listening to. Maybe there should be a thread titled "Appropriate
tiki lounge music that Vigor hates!"

At any rate it doesn't matter to me, doesn't affect what I listen
to, and I'm never gonna be rubbing elbows with you experts anyway.

Not too long ago Vigor was gonna leave and find a lounge music formum
because he wasn't getting enough response here, apparently he wasn't
getting validated enough. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the fact that
"only two" of us have piped in to endorse Hart's percussion bands.
There has been some discussion, in fact more than a number of recent
posts. Members know what happens here when you guys get your groove on,
and most simply want to avoid being shouted down.

Final points....
Mickey Hart compatible with tiki lounge music?....worth discussing.
Planet Drum/etc is "hippie music"? Wrong kids...take a listen. It's
critically acclaimed, award winning "world music" that encompasses many
of the moods and vibes of exotic or exotica music. I don't care
if you don't like it...just don't be stupid about it.

What a strange, strange thread it's been...Right-on-Right-on-Right-on and on... Now "Beat" it Boris.

[ Edited by: Hangtentiki 2009-11-04 04:45 ]

TM

On 2009-11-04 04:27, congatiki wrote:
Hey, I didn't start this thread, I simply responded to a question.
That question was what we thought of one direction of Mickey Hart's
music. Isn't that what a forum should be, question, response?

It's funny that a member who portrays himself as part of the "Un Kool"
wants to set all the standards for what is worth discussing or
listening to. Maybe there should be a thread titled "Appropriate
tiki lounge music that Vigor hates!"

At any rate it doesn't matter to me, doesn't affect what I listen
to, and I'm never gonna be rubbing elbows with you experts anyway.

Not too long ago Vigor was gonna leave and find a lounge music formum
because he wasn't getting enough response here, apparently he wasn't
getting validated enough. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the fact that
"only two" of us have piped in to endorse Hart's percussion bands.
There has been some discussion, in fact more than a number of recent
posts. Members know what happens here when you guys get your groove on,
and most simply want to avoid being shouted down.

Final points....
Mickey Hart compatible with tiki lounge music?....worth discussing.
Planet Drum/etc is "hippie music"? Wrong kids...take a listen. It's
critically acclaimed, award winning "world music" that encompasses many
of the moods and vibes of exotic or exotica music. I don't care
if you don't like it...just don't be stupid about it.

First off, you have been following my career on tiki central a little to closely. I quit posting for a long time for a lot of reasons, mainly because few people seemed to understand what polypop was all about, and several of my fellow artists apparently are also hippies and got really offended that I ain't one as well. Oh, they collect every mug in existence, but when push comes to shove the MUSIC they like is Shania Twain, Jimmy Buffet and hippy crap of all stripes. Yes, that bothers me. This is supposed to be a tiki forum. But I encounter a lot of TINOs here. (Tiki in name only).

Second, since you follow my posts so carefully and keep track of everything I say, you would notice that I have some other tastes in music not related to Tiki...and guess where I post them? In BILGE where they belong. That's where your hippy crap music like Mickey Hart belongs. In Bilge.

It's not ME who is deciding what is cool. My tastes and attitudes towards lounge and tiki are exactly reflected in major tomes like "Book of tiki" or ANY of the liner notes to ANY of the capitol record's ultra-lounge series. Have you read them? Or is the "party city" approach to tiki good enough for you?

As far as not getting support for lounge and real tiki here, there are actually a few people who agree with me. Most probably secretly agree, but don't want to get involved in any "hot" topics here, so they don't try to chime in and support my position. Some have chimed in, because they too are bothered by the slow encroachment of non-tiki elements to this forum. They don't want to see this place "buffetized" and that's where things seem to be heading. Others are like me, state their opinions and are percieved as "Negative" because everything that comes out of their mouths is not happy and fuzzy and touchy-feely. I can't believe, for example, how many times big tiki dude has been flamed for his tastes or opinions. And guess what, the guy is a total expert when it comes to music. He calls it like he sees it and I have nothing but respect for a man that goes against the PC grain and stands on his principles.

But then again, it is not MY position. As I have said, my tastes are the same as anyone who is into lounge and retro culture. People like me do not get into crappy hippy music. That music is terrible, really. There is nothing sophisticated either techincally, musically or stylistically about it. With a couple of exceptions, it is basically the work of self-taught garage musicians. That's fine if you like it. Good for you. But don't get all upset with me if I tell you I don't like it, and give you my reasons. No need to call me "stupid" because I don't like dirty smelly hippy music. There are tons of real world musicians I like and respect who are MILES ahead of Mickey Hart in every category. That guy just has the money and the star power to do whatever he wants. Doesn't mean he is qualified. You need to check out Zakir Hussein or Trilok Gurtu to see what a REAL percussionist does.

Go back and read the subject header for this section of the forum if you are having trouble understanding what kind of music is considered tiki by the owner and operator of this forum. It's pretty clear to me that hippy music ain't it.

And for the record, I was raised as and supposed to be a hippy. But since an early age both me and my brother laughed at all the inane hippy things we encountered.

Some examples: My mom had a bunch of hippies over to the house. Despite the fact that we had perfectly good furniture, you hippies insisted on sitting indian style or cross legged on the carpet. That made no sense to me or my brother. as I recall, he even asked "Mom, don't they like our chairs?"

1971, standing in the line at Disneyland, waiting for "adventure to inner space"...there was a hippy playing some wooden flute just ahead of us. Always being musicians, we asked him "what are you playing?" Hippy looked at us and said "I'm just playing my feelings, man". We were confused. We wanted to know what type of instrument it was. The hippy did not have much talent anyway, and what he was playing sounded horrible. My 4 year old brother deadpanned, "oh, you feel bad then?" We laughed about it for the rest of the day.

1973, My uncle (who looked almost exactly like John Lennon) had a female friend who did not like to shave her armpits. However, she did enjoy doing fake "tai chi" (She had never really seriously studied it) at what is now triangle square in costa mesa. In other words, she really wanted everyone to see her stretching and doing her stuff. It was all for show, so everyone would know how "spiritual" she was. Apparently, her own backyard was not good enough.

I could give you countless examples of the pretentious hippies I have encountered in life. I was born in the early 60's, not of that generation but always an observer. I will tell you this much: Hippies are always willing to accept mediocracy in life. For a hippy, things are always "good enough". few seem to understand the work involved.

It's like being a true jazz artist,folks. You don't just cash in your parents trust fund and suddenly become a jazz artist and start releasing albums. If you don't know the lineage and where the music came from, the path from dixieland to swing to bebop to cool and onwards, you really are not understanding the forces and thoughts that combine to create the style of jazz. It takes hard work and practice to be good at music, but a lot of hippies sidestep that and take the easy way out. Everything is "groovy" and we are just "playing our feelings", and that should be good enough. Not in my opinion. If any of the current members of Phish could be time- travelled back to the Les Baxter era, and put on the stage with him with the charts to "quiet village" in front of them, I think they would be hopelessly lost.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-11-04 07:00 ]

C

You generalize too broadly, Mr. Tikiphile.
And you certainly do not know my musical tastes. I have heard and seen Trilok Gurto,
Airto, Zakir, Babatunda (I was listening to him when you were still in diapers),
I have played with Mamady Keita, and I really enjoy Brazilian, Cuban, Middle Eastern,
and other forms of percussive music.
My only disagreement with you, and it's my only one, is your repeatedly ignorant
hippie references. I haven't listened to the Grateful Dead in nearly 40 years,
and it's clear you haven't listened to much Mickey Hart music.
Bye for now.

TM

On 2009-11-04 06:46, congatiki wrote:
(I was listening to him when you were still in diapers),

Then, you are like 60-70 years old? I am in my mid forties.

C

Yes, I am like 60. My brother was listening to "Drums of Passion" when I was nine.

A few more thoughts after pondering this discussion while in the dentist chair
this morning.
You seem like a great person to discuss music with, very broad tastes, just a
little too quick to generalize unnecessarily :)

A final thought on Mickey Hart. You are right, he is not a spectacular drummer,
especially in the company he keeps. As for this discussion, I endorse Mickey Hart
as a great facilitator, bringing together world-class percussionists into a
tribal and exotic "stew" if you will. If people get beyond his "hippie" background
and get a chance to listen to Giovanni Hidalgo, Babatunda Olatunji, Zakir,
and the other percussionists involved in the project, then I believe it fits into the
experiences we call "tiki." No, it is not tiki music in the sense that
Les Baxter is, maybe not even in the sense that Jobim could be considered
lounge, but to some people it might fit into the mix.

Although I said earlier that I won't be rubbing elbows with you guys anytime
soon, I backtrack to add that I think it would be fun.

Don't toss me in the dumpster just cuz I seem to like "hippie" music. How
do you feel about Quicksilver Messenger Service and how it fits into
the tiki/exotica picture?

T

[ How
[/quote

LOL!

TM

Do you have an example other then this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqVVnExlX9c

Because that is about as "hippy" as can be.

Show me something by this band that would fit in a tiki bar.

TM

On 2009-11-04 07:53, congatiki wrote:
Yes, I am like 60. My brother was listening to "Drums of Passion" when I was nine.

A few more thoughts after pondering this discussion while in the dentist chair
this morning.

A final thought on Mickey Hart. You are right, he is not a spectacular drummer,
especially in the company he keeps. As for this discussion, I endorse Mickey Hart
as a great facilitator, bringing together world-class percussionists into a
tribal and exotic "stew" if you will. If people get beyond his "hippie" background
and get a chance to listen to Giovanni Hidalgo, Babatunda Olatunji, Zakir,
and the other percussionists involved in the project, then I believe it fits into the
experiences we call "tiki." No, it is not tiki music in the sense that
Les Baxter is, maybe not even in the sense that Jobim could be considered
lounge, but to some people it might fit into the mix.

Although I said earlier that I won't be rubbing elbows with you guys anytime
soon, I backtrack to add that I think it would be fun.

Don't toss me in the dumpster just cuz I seem to like "hippie" music. How

And no one is "thowing you in the dumpster". I just disagree with you as to what constitutes good tiki music. And by the way, I am disagreeing with no malice intended. As I have been typing, I have just been laughing my ass off at my own comments on this subject. Especially when I look at the picture of me as a hippy that I posted! My wife told me "oh my, you look so gross like that!"

(thank god!)

TM

On 2009-11-04 07:53, congatiki wrote:

I do have very wide tastes in music. The only types I can definitely say I don't like are most "hippy" music (including all the modern jam bands) 90's era hair metal (Poison, GNR, etc) and modern country (Like Shania Twain and other artists that don't really sound like country anymore).

Music I tolerate but don't particularly like would be modern rock, surf, punk, etc..) Though of course, there are exceptions to everything I just mentioned.

A good example is "we love tiki". Technically, it is one of the worst things I have ever heard. Amatueristic, simplistic, generic references to tiki....blah!!

Yet...I can't get the stinking song out of my head and I have been humming it since yesterday! That's something I just can't explain! If I hate it so much, why do I find it so catchy? I have played that damn clip about 30 times now!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-11-04 09:47 ]

C

I hope you realize I was asking that question in a feeble attempt at humor:-)
I did like Quicksilver a little more than the Dead, they at least had
one good song which was a cover of Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love." And my
humble support of Mickey Hart...for clarification...is NOT the Mickey Hart
Band. I am referring to exclusively drum projects...no keyboard...no
guitars....just drums. Only drums...sorta like the Drums of Bora Bora...

How do you feel about beatnik music?

Pages: 1 2 76 replies