Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

New Mai Tai mix

Pages: 1 2 replies

RB

No fan of mixes, myself, but in the spirit of informing the public:

http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/hawaii_today/2009/10/22/mai_tai_mix_Hawaii_cocktail

A Mai Tai is so easy to make that I don't know why anyone would ever use a mix? An this mix, judging by the label, has pinapple and papaya (or mango?) in it, all of which has absolutely no place in a proper Mai Tai.

TG

On the other hand, as much of a stickler as I am when I make my own Mai Tais, including making my own Rock Candy Syrup and my own Orgeat, I've never actually succeeded in reproducing the Mai Tais I got to sample as a teenager in Hawaii in the mid-60s. Nor have I tasted one since then made by anyone else either.

Consequently, I try mixes when I run across them just to see if anyone has been able to capture the right essence that way. So far no luck, but this one seems like it's worth a try, so I'll be giving them a call to see what kind of fortune it will cost to ship a bottle from Kauai to the Nation's Capital.

Considering the immaculate record of Mai Tai mix failures, I'm not expecting that to change. But hope springs eternal. Thanks for the tip.

Pages: 1 2 replies