Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion

Pages: 1 2 3 4 184 replies

Aloh to all music lovers. I am just finishing up the booklet to my CD compilation that is being published by, ironically, a German label. It will have 17 tracks relating to Tiki culture and a 48 page booklet full of images in it (sort of a mini Book of Tiki). When I say songs relating to Tiki culture, I mean by name, or concept, so it will contain titles like Martin Denny's "Aku Aku" and "Tiki", and songs like "Bali Hai" and "Castaway".

Right now I am facing a conundrum: In order to define the "Sound" of Tiki, I came up with this map, inspired by the Polynesian triangle, and beautifully rendered by Kevin Kidney:

I wanted to show the different musical genres that contribute to the "Tiki Sound", but make clear that Exotica really is the core of it. So obviously, the CD will be heavy on Exotica, but have some lounge, and only a few Hapa Haole and Surf-sounding titles in it.

Problem is, I only found two elektro guitar titles that I liked and that related to Tiki, and both are from non-surf bands: "Kon Tiki" by The Shadows, and "Hawaii 5.0" by The Ventures. I am aware that technically these guys were known as "Guitar Rock" bands.

Here's my question: Can I get away with (and I mean just "GET WAY WITH"!) putting these two songs in the "Surf" bag, since they were played by Surf bands too, or would it be just plain wrong to do so!?

I already talked to Jeff Bigtikidude about the Shadows, but him and all others are invited to give me their view of the subject, Mahalo!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-11-02 11:55 ]

The Ventures and The Shadows are both classic examples of surf rock. Both bands were more popular overseas than in the US but their influences can be heard around the world!

They should round out your compilation nicely.

Good luck with your project Sven!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

As a layman, I'd be inclined to let them pass too. Both the Ventures and the Shadows are sorted into my "surf records" shelf in my record cabinets, (along with my hot-rod lps), and I always assumed they were part of the genre. Talking to surf-music experts in recent years, I now understand the distinctions, but I don't think the average person does.

Thanks guys, I am relieved. Problem is I count such Surf music experts as Domenic Priore and BigTikiDude among my friends, I worry they will KILL me if I muddle up their fave genre! :D

The Shadows and The Ventures HIGHLY influenced the 1st generation of surf musicians, but are not actually considered surf. Kind of like poly-pop is to tiki, close but not really. I wouldn't use Hawaii 5-0 because like the show, the song is not really tiki.

It seems like you are matching song titles to Tiki rather than the sound. If you want a really Tiki/Exotica sounding surf song listen to "Adventures in Paradise" by The Atlantics. It's a good mix of exotica and surf.

I'll try and think of some more suggestions and post later tonight. I have to run.

I faced a similar decision with my band's set list.

Since I advertise us as "Exotica, Hapa Haole, and Surf" and there was already plenty of Surf music being represented at "OHANA" (the gig we were playing) and we have horns, the song I went with to include some surf was "Hawaii 5O"

So obviously I think it's okay.

I'm beginning to wonder why Slack Key Guitar music is never even considered. I know the general theory is that it's much more Hawaiian than Tiki, but an argument could be made that Surf is more California Beach than Tiki. I always like to make a bigger case for Hapa Haole as well, since I bet it was played in home Tiki Bars as much or more than Exotica. Sorry if this is all off topic.

So all that aside, and back to the point, I think it's the song itself that matters, especially on a compilation album, not the performers. And those songs you chose to represent Surf certainly ARE Tiki Surf.

On 2009-11-02 12:25, nature boy wrote:
The Shadows and The Ventures HIGHLY influenced the 1st generation of surf musicians, but are not actually considered surf. Kind of like poly-pop is to tiki, close but not really. I wouldn't use Hawaii 5-0 because like the show, the song is not really tiki.

I am using it tongue-in-cheek, the version I feature is SUNG... by DON HO! My liner notes (which will bring me lotsa gripes by Don Ho fans!) will hopefully explain:

Stylistically, Don Ho is to Tiki style what the 70s Elvis is to Rock ’n’ Roll: Part of the whole phenomenon, yet a sign of its end being near.
Similarly, when compared to “Hawaiian Eye”, “Hawaii 5.0” was a post-Tiki television series: Instead of being produced on the mainland, it was shot on location in high-rise Waikiki, aiming for contemporary realism and shunning outdated Hawaiian clichés such as Tikis, which rarely played a part here.
It seems like you are matching song titles to Tiki rather than the sound. If you want a really Tiki/Exotica sounding surf song listen to "Adventures in Paradise" by The Atlantics. It's a good mix of exotica and surf.

Good one! I already wanted to use a version of "Adventures..." on the next CD. :) IF there will be one...

TM

On 2009-11-02 12:39, The Granite Tiki wrote:
I faced a similar decision with my band's set list.

Since I advertise us as "Exotica, Hapa Haole, and Surf" and there was already plenty of Surf music being represented at "OHANA" (the gig we were playing) and we have horns, the song I went with to include some surf was "Hawaii 5O"

So obviously I think it's okay.

I'm beginning to wonder why Slack Key Guitar music is never even considered. I know the general theory is that it's much more Hawaiian than Tiki, but an argument could be made that Surf is more California Beach than Tiki. I always like to make a bigger case for Hapa Haole as well, since I bet it was played in home Tiki Bars as much or more than Exotica. Sorry if this is all off topic.

So all that aside, and back to the point, I think it's the song itself that matters, especially on a compilation album, not the performers. And those songs you chose to represent Surf certainly ARE Tiki Surf.

I actually think that Hapa haole is the main music of tiki. (Of course, I am biased when it comes to that statement). But if you look at the classic polynesian style restaurants here in the continental U.S., it was probably a hapa haole band with some polynesian drumming and a floor show with hula dancers you would have seen, back in the day.

Of course, my first experience was disneyland Tahitian terrace, so I base my opinion on that.

I am just glad, however, that Hapa haole is being included in this CD!

As far as slack key, I have never really thought it fits the "tiki" scene, but certainly my band plays a couple of slack key type songs. It's just not the first thing I think of when I think of "tiki". To me, the emphasis is on the "pop" of "poly-pop", and back in the 50's pop was jazz based music. Slack key has no jazz elements, whereas exotica and hapa haole does to.

As for Surf, I think it's just the elements of the artwork, album covers, themes, and the fact that surfing has always been a part of Hawaii, waikiki, and the hollywood version of Hawaii. Greg Brady surfed without his tiki, and look what happened to him!!!!!

K

Well, now, Don Ho's fabulous sung version of "Hawaii Five-O" is COMPLETELY appropriate. How could there be any doubt? His sung version of "Quiet Village" is awesome as well..:)

Well, Hapa Haole is certainly Polynesian pop, but more Hawaiiana and pre-Tiki. Yet, if the wave of Hawaiian music would not have hit the U.S. in the 1910s and 20s like it did, the first Bamboo hideaways would have never been built.

And the truth is that Hapa Haole probably got more play in Tiki joints in the form of live bands and floor shows than Exotica did -which only in retrospect has been identified as THE perfect musical form for a Tiki environment. But the spirit of Exotica, (and its success which time period-wise paralleled the rise of Tiki culture), is all TIKI!

Hate to tell you Lucas, but Hapa Hale is only represented by Paul Page (in two songs) and one by The Surfers. Both not exactly "pure" examples of the genre, but pertaining to my concept. Bernie Kaye Lewis' guitar on the Paul Page pieces really is what makes them that.

All in all this compilation is a subjective view of what I see makes up the Sound of Tiki.

On 2009-11-02 13:43, Kaiwaza wrote:
Well, now, Don Ho's fabulous sung version of "Hawaii Five-O" is COMPLETELY appropriate. How could there be any doubt? His sung version of "Quiet Village" is awesome as well..:)

That's the medley on my compilation, at the end, "Hawaii 5.0" and "Quiet Village" sung by Don Ho.:lol:
I tried to put the compilation together with the serious Exotica collector in mind, so I covered some of the standards, but in off-beat versions. Who here has heard the "Hawaiian Eye" version by Buddy Morrow? (I bet YOU have, Kaiwaza :) )

TM

On 2009-11-02 13:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
. But the spirit of Exotica, (and its success which time period-wise paralleled the rise of Tiki culture), is all TIKI!

Very true. That it was it has come to be. For me as well, because as soon as I hear bird calls and the sound of vibes, "tiki bar" is what immediately comes to mind. With Hapa haole, what comes to mind is a vacation in waikiki during the 60's. But, my disclaimer is that I really don't like the old, very early hapa haole recordings much...I prefer the slick, produced versions (Like the Tavares band) that came a bit later, in stereo.

I would have to say Hapa haole is my first love, followed VERY closely by exotica. But, as I have said before my first record album I listened to as a small 5 year old kid was Arthur Lyman, "taboo". I was indoctrinated into tiki a long time ago! Your book and some of the people on this forum just pushed me over the edge and now I am obsessed with tiki...like everyone else, I suppose.

I get so damn caught up in objectivity sometimes, that I feel a strange pang in my gut whenever an exotica performer plays "Yellow Bird" or "Caravan" on a record.

Nuthin' Tiki about Calypso or the Midddle East!

Which is why Hapa Haole gets my vote for official music of Tiki as well.

(don't get me wrong though, I love Exotica, and my band plays "Caravan"!)

Love the concept of this CD BigBro. And that illustration is great!

A
aquarj posted on Mon, Nov 2, 2009 2:11 PM

Sven, can't wait to see and hear this cd.

Maybe the question's already been answered. I think you're just asking what category makes sense for those two songs, as opposed to getting opinions on whether they fit with the "sound of tiki". If so, here's my take on the categorization stuff...

It's pretty hard to call the Shadows surf. They were part of a global trend in guitar-driven instrumentals, which was more of a pop phenomenon and less tied to the California surf sound. It's hard to look (or listen?) back to that era with the right context. Surf instrumentals appeared on the charts in the U.S., but so did other instrumentals too. But from today's perspective, surf is a niche sound. Because it's tied mostly to guitars, it's easy to draw a connection between surf and other guitar-led instros, as opposed to considering the context of the bigger pop instrumental genre which hasn't really survived to the present. I think of the Shadows as really being more in the latter category, since they were influenced much less by the surf sound or even the Ventures.

The eleki sound in Japan is interesting because it was influenced more by the Ventures ("Beloved Invaders") and the popular music of the U.S., plus some traditional Japanese stringed instrument technique. There are some great examples of Japanese eleki with more of a surfy sound than the Shadows, doing songs like Hawaiian War Chant.

I'd say the Ventures are trickier to categorize though. Their "Surfing" album is simply great surf music. But they were all over the map with their sound, partly because so much of what they did was aimed at covering well-known songs to carry record sales. I think Hawaii 5-O was a hit for them, but it's kind of a funny example of a Ventures song. Since they tried to make it sound as much as possible like a straight rendition of the soundtrack, there's not really much Ventures identity on there, and very little connection to their sound or style, and even less connection to the surf genre than other Ventures stuff.

HOWEVER, when you watch the Hawaii 5-O dvds with captions on, and the theme plays, I believe the caption says, "jazzy surf music" or something like that. So there you go, on definitive authority. That's the official Mort Stevens version (woops haha, I originally wrote Morton Gould here), but it's very similar to the Ventures version, so there's some justification.

Incidentally, the band the Astronauts did a beautiful surf rendition of Quiet Village. You have to listen pretty close to hear the relationship to the exotica number though. The Astronauts are sort of your label mates on Bear Family, in the reissue sense. Again, this goes back full circle to the broader trend in pop instrumentals back then. Surf bands were doing Quiet Village, Adventures in Paradise, Siboney, Similau, The Breeze and I, etc., along with other pop hits like Lonely Bull. And pop instrumentalists were covering surf songs right back too. The good old days!

-Randy

[ Edited by: aquarj 2009-11-02 14:16 ]

While I love Slack-Key guitar music and am glad it's being played in more Tiki bars today, I'm of the same mind as Lucas V. in that I don't think it was a big influence on the original Tiki scene because it was never really a "pop" influence in the 50s or 60s.

You get a good barometer of what types of music were swirling around the popular zeitgeist at the same time as Exotica music, when you check the boxes of records at garage and estate sales every week. "Lounge" and "Hawaiian" (hapa haole) records are really common and must have had a huge influence on people's escapism of the time. "Exotica" records are a fairly common as well, but less so. "Surf" was in the mix too, but less common than Exotica.

Only rarely will I stumble upon an old Gabby Pahinui or Sonny Chillingworth record, and those were usually owned by serious audiophiles who often had a lot of Classical and Folkways records in their collections.

I didn't really notice Slack-Key until the 1980s when George Winston started reviving the old artists and promoting the Pahinui brothers again on his Dancing Cat label. It's nice to see the music finally being given more attention.

NB

Here are some other surf possibilities.

Paradise Cove - The Lively Ones
Intoxica - The Centurions or The Original Sufaris
Exotic - The Original Sufaris
Quiet Village - The Astronauts

The master is already locked in, but these suggestions will be noted for future projects, thank you.

I have a request: Because of my lack of enthusiasm for and my classification of Don Ho and Hawaii 5.0 as post-Tiki (begging forgiveness again to all who feel differently), my archive is seriously devoid of visual references of the two, and I am still seeking. WHO here could e-mail me some high res ( around 2MB) scans of either Mister Ho or Jack Lord?

This one is my Ho favorite, albeit it is much too small:

AF

The CD is a great idea. Blending various artists and styles allows the listener hear and move all around TIKI.

I'm afraid more scholarly folks can speak to the "is or isn't" surf, but I've always felt it was OK to place both into any surf mix.

I guess if there was a borderline surf area, for me it would need be instrumental only. The Beach Boys had the surf vibe, but vocals definitely pushed them far away from the traditional instro surf bands.

BTW, the Beach Boys did have an unusual exotica/hapa haole sounding instrumental called Diamond Head on their Friends album.

Good luck on the project Sven!

1st.
the Shadows and Ventures are not surf,
the Shadows are Euro Instro,
and while the Ventures played some surf songs, they have done many non surf songs also.
see their Carpenters,Jim Croce, Classical and Country albums.

2nd, Hawaii 50 was not originally done by the Ventures,
it was done by an orchestra for the TV show, then they covered it after.

there are many many surf songs that have a Hawaiian or Exotic/Exotica vibe.
I wish you would have come to me earlier about this.

and are you only doing old bands, or will there be new bands in the mix?

ahhhh, there is so much I want to add, but I need to go.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-11-03 10:46 ]

In 1961, at age 17, we started the Reptiles, the first surf/tiki band in cold snowy Detroit City. We played a butt load of Ventures, Shadows, and we were crazy nuts over California and anything Tiki. To mid-west teenagers of the 60's, Surf music was Tiki Music. Oh don't forget Dick Dale. Aloha, Hang Ten Tiki http://www.bedtimestoriesforsurfers.com

A
aquarj posted on Mon, Nov 2, 2009 7:33 PM

Interesting to see some comments on this thread. I know it comes up periodically on TC as to whether surf is tiki music. Hopefully without rehashing or sounding preachy, I think it boils down to perspective.

From a classic perspective, as in the original poly pop era, surf music really had little to do with tiki. Different sounds and different audiences. Painting with a broad brush, tiki and poly pop were in the realm of adult escapism, while surf music was a mainstream teenage pop phenomenon. A little overlap here and there, but not much. As Sabu suggested, pop vocals, easy listening, and maybe even jazz were probably much more common at backyard luaus than surf. Meanwhile, surf covers of exotica songs had an appeal for the teenage crowd, but actually the Latin oriented stuff was much more present in surf than anything tiki or polynesian. For that matter, I guess that'd be a whole separate topic, whether the Latin, Asian, and African influences in exotica are "tiki" either.

From our modern perspective though, many people who have a taste for exotica also like surf. I'm definitely one of them. But does that mean that surf has become tiki music in a way that it didn't use to be? Maybe these kind of definitions don't matter anyway?

-Randy

On 2009-11-02 17:26, bigtikidude wrote:
the Shadows and Ventures are not surf,
the Shadows are Euro Instro,
and while the Vetures played some surf songs, they have done many non surf songs also.

there are many many surf songs that have a Hawaiian or Exotic/Exotica vibe.

Jeff, as I said, I know that these bands are not Surf bands per se. But can those two songs maybe be remote examples of Surf?

And Hawaiian or Exotica VIBE alone ain't enough for this compilation, I wanted some clear ties to Tiki culture...even it was post-Tiki.

Hey, no one here has a picture of Don Ho or Jack Lord? My lord! Jeff Chenault, in a pinch I'd take a record cover, like that "DON HO and the Aliis Vol.2" you had in Tiki Magazine, do you still have a good scan of that? That's a good cheesy portrait.

NB

Here is my question. Is ANY music 100% tiki? Let's look at the genres. This is my humble opinion and may be entirely wrong.

Surf. it is already been pointed out that surf music was teen music and not what the tiki crowd was listening to back in the day. There are some thematic connections but not enough. There is a stronger link at the present time than the past.

Hapa Haole. I love this music, and at first glance it fits the tiki style. It is westernized and romanticized polynesian just like tiki. However, the hayday of hapa haole was pre-tiki. During the 50s music became more sophisticated and hapa haole just isn't quite sophisticated enough for the sophisticated savage. (Please don't attack me. I love hapa haole and all hawaiian music. I play it all the time on my uke!)

Lounge. Right time frame. lot's of sophistication. Probably what most tiki goers in the 50's were listening to. However, not really many polynesian references. Just not enough poly-pop themes to call it tiki music, but connected yes.

Okay, the big one. Exotica. Sophisticated? Yes. Right time period? Yes. Polynesian themed? Yes. But wait!! Let's look closer at the top 3 leaders in exotica. Les Baxter. Amazing music, often credited with creating exotica. Can someone point out to me a Les Baxter song that has a polynesian title/theme?? I can't find one in my collection. There are plenty of South American, Asian and African themes, but where is the polynesian? and don't say Quiet Village because that quiet village could be anywhere! Martin Denny. Okay, the FATHER of exotica, the big name. He does have polynesian themed songs, but add them up. Really he has a lot of songs that are NOT polynesian, but Asian, African, etc. The Polynesians may be a minority. Arthur Lyman. He (and Denny) did put out some strictly Hawaiian and Polynesian records. So Those records are definately tiki. I just find it interesting that a big percentage of Exotica is NOT polynesian themed.

My only conclusion with this rant is that if the music fits the mood, and is part of the history of tiki, that is the defining criteria for tiki music. The food served in tiki restaurants was often Chinese or something other than polynesian, but it just fits and is part of the history. The same applies to the music.

Nice analogy nature boy!! :)

What a great discussion.

Look for some pics of Don Ho soon Sven.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

On 2009-11-03 05:11, nature boy wrote:
Can someone point out to me a Les Baxter song that has a polynesian title/theme?? I can't find one in my collection.

How about....."Tiki", composed by Les Baxter, and performed by Martin Denny on his "Exotica Suite" album. It'll be on my compilation. :D

I just find it interesting that a big percentage of Exotica is NOT polynesian themed.

I address that somewhat in my liner notes:

Just like a good Tiki Bar interior is built from the flotsam and jetsam of the Seven Seas, Denny’s modern piano jazz not only contained foreign notes such as Asian, African, and Latin stylings, but strange and exotic percussion instruments, and, most notably, jungle sound effects--bird calls and monkey chattering. It was the aural equivalent of the multi-layered taste sensations of tropical cocktails like the Zombie or the Navy Grog.

So what was Polynesian about this “Exotic Ports of Call” concept? Denny formed and premiered his combo and sound in Hawaii’s tourist havens, like Don The Beachcomber’s (at the International Marketplace), and the Hawaiian Village Hotel’s Shell Bar. By this time, Honolulu had become a polyglot melting pot of many Pacific cultures and races. While local Hapa Haole songs portrayed the romantic and ribald side of the Hawaiian people, Denny’s music spoke of the intriguing mysteries of yet unexplored tropical islands, misty jungles, and the “curious and colorful customs” of indigenous folk.

TM

Here is my question. Is ANY music 100% tiki? Let's look at the genres. This is my humble opinion and may be entirely wrong.

Surf. it is already been pointed out that surf music was teen music and not what the tiki crowd was listening to back in the day. There are some thematic connections but not enough. There is a stronger link at the present time than the past.

Hapa Haole. I love this music, and at first glance it fits the tiki style. It is westernized and romanticized polynesian just like tiki. However, the hayday of hapa haole was pre-tiki. During the 50s music became more sophisticated and hapa haole just isn't quite sophisticated enough for the sophisticated savage. (Please don't attack me. I love hapa haole and all hawaiian music. I play it all the time on my uke!)

Lounge. Right time frame. lot's of sophistication. Probably what most tiki goers in the 50's were listening to. However, not really many polynesian references. Just not enough poly-pop themes to call it tiki music, but connected yes.

Okay, the big one. Exotica. Sophisticated? Yes. Right time period? Yes. Polynesian themed? Yes. But wait!! Let's look closer at the top 3 leaders in exotica. Les Baxter. Amazing music, often credited with creating exotica. Can someone point out to me a Les Baxter song that has a polynesian title/theme?? I can't find one in my collection. There are plenty of South American, Asian and African themes, but where is the polynesian? and don't say Quiet Village because that quiet village could be anywhere! Martin Denny. Okay, the FATHER of exotica, the big name. He does have polynesian themed songs, but add them up. Really he has a lot of songs that are NOT polynesian, but Asian, African, etc. The Polynesians may be a minority. Arthur Lyman. He (and Denny) did put out some strictly Hawaiian and Polynesian records. So Those records are definately tiki. I just find it interesting that a big percentage of Exotica is NOT polynesian themed.

My only conclusion with this rant is that if the music fits the mood, and is part of the history of tiki, that is the defining criteria for tiki music. The food served in tiki restaurants was often Chinese or something other than polynesian, but it just fits and is part of the history. The same applies to the music.

I think you are right on the money with this. Especially when you consider that Les Baxter's earliest stuff was "space pop", not really "tiki" at all.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 3, 2009 8:05 AM

No MIKE HART on the CD Bigbro? ;P

Naw Grog, that's on his hippy compilation CD.

Was wondering if it'd come up in this thread. Funny.

No, but an Eden Ahbez song, of course. And since I've had enough with this one-sided hippie-bashing here, here is an excerpt of my liner notes for the piece :) :

In the world of exotic romanticism, Eden Ahbez represents the missing link between the lounge generation and its children, the hippies. While his musical style was firmly lodged in a Martin Denny-esque sound, he was a hippie before there ever was the term....In “Full Moon” he essentially recites most of the clichés contained in Polynesian pop: “To surf and comb the beach…to hike over the island to the village…and do a little trading...”, yet he mixes them with a hippie philosophy, thus proving that the two generations which clashed so spectacularly in the late 60s were not so different after all. While the post-war veterans’ fantasies of the island lifestyle of free love and leisure lead to the fake recreations of urban Tiki havens, their descendants went about putting these tenets into action with love-ins, open air festivals and psychedelic drugs.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 3, 2009 8:48 AM

GROG think it going to be an awesome CD and booklet.

NB

On 2009-11-03 06:30, bigbrotiki wrote:

How about....."Tiki", composed by Les Baxter, and performed by Martin Denny on his "Exotica Suite" album. It'll be on my compilation. :D

Hey yeah. I don't have that one in my collection. Boy, this CD is going to be great, for the liner notes alone! Let us know when we can pre-order.

A
aquarj posted on Tue, Nov 3, 2009 9:09 AM

Hey Sven,
I think you posted the cover art elsewhere - maybe you could show it again in this thread? One of the most beautiful cd covers I've ever seen.

-Randy

Kevin Kidney said"The album is being produced by Bear Family Records in Germany."

which is a label that has done some great re-issues of surf from the 60's
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

K

Les Baxter. Amazing music, often credited with creating exotica. Can someone point out to me a Les Baxter song that has a polynesian title/theme?

Just for informational purposes, Les Baxter's soundtrack LP to the film "Bora Bora" would be Polynesian themed...although in sound it is very similar to "Que Mango" and some of the pieces seem to be reworkings of one another, I'm not actually sure which of the two came out first.

Kevin wrote:
"I'd like to mention that not one bit of this image was accomplished with digital trickery. This is 100% hand-embossed, hand-cut and assembled paper, photographed as you see it here! "

That pretty much says it all...here's Kevin the mad paper sculptor setting it up for me shooting it, at my house:

On 2009-11-03 10:57, Kaiwaza wrote:

Les Baxter. Amazing music, often credited with creating exotica. Can someone point out to me a Les Baxter song that has a polynesian title/theme?

Just for informational purposes, Les Baxter's soundtrack LP to the film "Bora Bora" would be Polynesian themed...although in sound it is very similar to "Que Mango" and some of the pieces seem to be reworkings of one another, I'm not actually sure which of the two came out first.

True, that one certainly purports to be Polynesian...though Baxter always was more symphonic, film score like. But by the 60s he saw the success of his "student" Martin Denny, and did some pieces in clear Exotica style. The one track I chose is "Bird of Paradise".

Here is the cover of Bora Bora, my friend and BOT cover designer Moritz R. used the great "passionate islander" photo for Don Tiki's second CD design, and they made T-shirts of it:

I love the late 60s plot line: Swinging, island style! But still with the appropriate moral insight at the end, of course! :D :

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-11-03 12:27 ]

so I'm kinda foggy on something here.
are you including Hawaii 5-0 by the Ventures or Don Ho?

and by the Way,
the Ventures did a great song that would be a perfect tie in here.
"Diamond Head"

Jeff(btd)

Sung by Don Ho (but with the same driving guitar intro), segueing into "Quiet Village" - you gotta hear it to believe it! :) And Diamond Head is more Hawaiiana, not Poly pop or Tiki, in my view...

AF

The Bora Bora soundtrack is an interesting listen with a strange cover photo. Looks like it was shot in the California desert but has all the best reflection qualities of Ansel Adams photo. You dig these type of things up so quickly Sven, my head spins!

K

And my favorite thing aboutmy personal copy of Les Baxter's "Bora Bora" is that I bought as a kid in 6th grade for exactly .47 cents as a big Lp clearance sale at some big department store..can't remember thenname of the store. It seems to go for big bucks these days..:)

kinda funny, and odd, but look at this topic that came up on the sg101 forum today.

http://www.surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10552

The connection I see, in a simplified way, is this:

American Surfers idolized Hawaii, the birthplace of surfing -- thus Hawaiian Tikis and Tiki pendants were hip as good luck charms among California surfers -- They listened to, or were members of, Surf bands--

Although Exotica was "parents' music" to the Surf generation, the Surf scene was not as decidedly anti-establishment as the Beat and Rock scenes, so Surf bands saw no problem in adapting Exotica tunes like Miserlou into their repertoire.

I think to Surf kids, Tikis were cool just like Ratfink and the Universal monsters were cool. But they didn't really have the pocket money to buy full-size Tiki carvings, or to go out to eat and drink in Tiki temples.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:01 PM

...surf kids just stole the tikis they wanted and stole booze from the parents (or girlfriends' parents) liquor cabinets . Some basics never change!

A
aquarj posted on Thu, Nov 5, 2009 2:58 PM

On 2009-11-05 11:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
I think to Surf kids, Tikis were cool just like Ratfink and the Universal monsters were cool. But they didn't really have the pocket money to buy full-size Tiki carvings, or to go out to eat and drink in Tiki temples.

At least they could go to grad nite at Disneyland, where they could have dinner at the Tahitian Terrace and then go see the Astronauts in the Oaks Tavern! Maybe even go watch Kay Bell sing the "Surfers Stomp" in the Space Bar!

(from Psycho Tiki D's post over in Tiki Finds)

But the Mad Mountain Ramblers, I suspect, were neither "tiki" nor "surf".

-Randy

I would like to see the Mad Moutain Rumblers just as much as the Astronauts.
:wink:

After reading this thread, and because I'm too young to have experienced tiki in its Hey Day, I have a question:

Did restaurants play music back in the day? Sure, I know some had live shows.. but were the eating establishments equipped with speakers so that music could be piped in? Also... what about tiki bars? Did the average tiki bar have a juke box in it? I don't recall seeing juke boxes in any of the interior shots of tiki bar/restaurant post cards I have.

I've never thought of this before, but is tiki music basically whatever people played at home in their tiki bar basements and backyard luaus?

[ Edited by: Tiki Shaker 2009-11-07 09:42 ]

I don’t know. But I guess guys had transistor radios in their Tiki-fied beachshacks.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 184 replies