Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

No Martinique rum :(

Pages: 1 13 replies

Martinique rum is not available where I live (very sad). What can I use as a substitute in cocktail recipes?

Can you get Mt. Gay Sugar Cane Brandy?

I don't think so.

You can try mixing Cachaça (a Brazillian sugar cane spirit similar to rum) with an amber rum, such as Appleton X/V. Try about 2/3rd of the rum to 1/3rd Cachaça. I did this once when I was jonzing for a Ti Punch but was out of Martinique Rum Agricole. You can adjust the ratios to your taste.

Same problem here (obviously). I'm very interested in hearing some more substitution suggestions. In the meantime, I'll use the few bottles of Saint James I grabbed when I was last in California sparingly...

http://www.alberta-liquor-guide.com/LC/LCCATALOGCONSUM.nsf/LocatorForm?OpenForm&Seq=1&CSPC=739555

Apparently there is a Martinique Rum (RHUM CLEMENT PREMIERE CANNE-A.O.C. RUM) in Edmonton at the SHERBROOKE LIQUOR STORE. Lemme know how it is...

I phoned a local store here and they sell the Rhum Clement Cuvee Humere for $94 a bottle. I might save up and buy one eventually.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-05-08 11:02 ]

Yeah, Brandomoai was telling me that. And some other stuff too. Specifically (quoting from his pm)

Licor 43
Trader Vic's Macadamia Nut Liqueur
TV Kona Coffee Liqueur
TV Light, Gold, and Dark rum
2 different kinds of Rhum Agricole from Martinique (very pricey)
2 different kinds of Rhum Agricole from Guadaloupe (slightly less pricey)

I can tell you I won't be buying any $94 bottles of rum (or rhum).

S

If you can find it I recommend 10 CANE from Trinidad. Makes a great Mai Tai mixed with Appletons.

S

The Clemente is a fine sub for St. James.

On 2010-05-08 22:56, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

I can tell you I won't be buying any $94 bottles of rum (or rhum).

How 'bout we go halfsies? That's still expensive! Freakin' liquor taxes...

Here's what they have at Sherbrooke:
Clement Premiere Canne Rhum Agricole (Martinique) for $47.50
Clement VSOP Rhum Vieux Agricole (Martinique) for $53.99
Karukera Rhum Blanc Agricole (Guadaloupe) for $45.99
Karukera Rhum Vieux Agricole (Guadaloupe) for $75.99
Unless it was over on their shelf where all the $100+ bottles are, I didn't see the Cuvee Humere there. The Licor 43 is something like $51, which is almost exactly twice what I paid for it at BevMo in Arizona. Memo to Americans: don't come to Canada to buy liquor!

We use the Clement VSOP most of the time but the Clement Premiere Canne is a white agricole and makes a very interesting flavor variation, my wife prefers it.

I can only find one brand here in Michigan (Saint James) but it is much to expensive. What other substitutes can be used if you can't spend $50 a fifth? Keep in mind that Michigan wont let you ship alchol in.

On 2010-09-04 23:53, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
I can only find one brand here in Michigan (Saint James) but it is much to expensive. What other substitutes can be used if you can't spend $50 a fifth? Keep in mind that Michigan wont let you ship alchol in.

You do what I do, and I live in a neighboring control state; You peruse the internet until you find a retailer who will ship to your state. Trust me, they're out there. Find them and stock up.

Pages: 1 13 replies