Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

surfing monkey statues?

Pages: 1 29 replies

S

not necessarily tiki, but i like the statues of a monkey on a surfboard that you used to buy in Tijuana. i haven't been to Mexico in years, do they still sell them? any kool pics of tiki room surfing monkeys out there?

You mean these .Not my statues, photos courtesy of Google images .

Surfing Monkey Statues... I ah... well eh... ummmm... these make no sense to me at all. I'm not against them mind you, just didn't know they were out there. :wink:

S

Yeah, those are the surfing monkeys that I was refering to. Thanks for the pics 1961surf. Idon't know why they interest me......maybe I should let this thread fade away.
i would probably buy one of these guys at a flea market though.

On 2009-11-16 19:13, skootiki wrote:

i would probably buy one of these guys at a flea market though.

They're always people selling them at Kobey's Swap meet in SD on Saturday and Sundays. Many colors to choose from.

I don't see as many Bart Simpsons as I used to...
Buzzy Out!

These monkeys use to be prevalent in Tijuana , perhaps they still are .

we had one in our Art Dept a rusty Surfboards for a few years.... i think every SoCal Surfer must of owned one at least once...
i think they're kewl....

hey! Didn't BigToe sculpt one o dem for the Surfbeat or Tiki Freakout show a few years back?

B

On 2009-11-17 07:45, little lost tiki wrote:

hey! Didn't BigToe sculpt one o dem for the Surfbeat or Tiki Freakout show a few years back?

I don't know if'n da Toe did one or not, but it would sure be fun to get a bunch of us to embelish the hell out of some of these :) You know...kind of like the cows that are all over the place these days...

I have one propped up in my shop right now.

This guy is cool.
(Yahoo search)

LT

On 2009-11-17 07:45, little lost tiki wrote:
we had one in our Art Dept a rusty Surfboards for a few years.... i think every SoCal Surfer must of owned one at least once...
i think they're kewl....

You need to pick one up an paint it.

LT

On 2009-11-17 10:02, Unga Bunga wrote:
This guy is cool.
(Yahoo search)

That is cool! :lol: I'll take one.

B

OK, so this is a surfing monkey that i modified for the SurfBeat art show a few years back. Please enjoy "Slightly Evolved":

oh and altho he has been shattered and re-assemmbled (prior to this photo), he is for sale...for 'round about $500.

[ Edited by: BigToe 2009-11-17 12:25 ]

I love the gorilla grip stance on the board! Ya these things are classic and kind of a rite of passage for a Mexico surf trip! They are kind of like Pugs! Cute and ugly at the same time!

B

i was wondering how long it would take for this thread to get banished to on Beyond zebra!

[ Edited by: BigToe 2009-11-17 20:57 ]

i didn't mean to start any trouble with the surfing monkeys, cool pics.

On 2009-11-17 20:56, BigToe wrote:
i was wondering how long it would take for this thread to get banished to on Beyond zebra!

[ Edited by: BigToe 2009-11-17 20:57 ]

:lol: Yesterday afternoon I started in "General" and saw this thread. By the time I got through to "Bilge" there it was again and I thought the whole thread had been double posted. I went back to "General" and POOF - it was gone. I must have been moved sometime when I was in "Other Crafts" :lol:

it's the MAGIC surfing monkey statue POST!
:)

Great video ,Unga Bunga. It was especially appreciated by the lovely Sue-Tiki (a loyal monkees fan).
I did spot a surfing monkey statue in TIKI MAGAZINE: VOL.5, NO.2 PAGE 32 "TOTALLY TIKIFIED"

I've got one on display. If you grew up in So-Cal it's pretty hard to not have a warm place in your heart for one of these. Many memories are associated with them for me. I've actually heard the phrase "Oh yeah, you HAVE to have a surfing monkey" many times.

Here is one circa 7th or 8th grade...had $10.00 of birthday money to spend in Tijuana and had every intention of buying firecrackers and bottle rockets, but after seemingly hours of not being able to muster the courage up to find any, I ended up buying this guy on my way back home at the border crossing...

Mine is a bank!

PTD

El Gringo Mexican Restaurant Menu
Manhattan Beach, CA

I think Hermosa Beach too.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2009-12-14 22:53 ]

S

It's been a-while, but I have discovered that there may be many surfing monkey fans out there. From my research , it appears that his name is CHANGO THE SURF MONKEY.
There is a " Surf Monkey Fellowship" that will also sell you a surf monkey on-line, also an on-line store that sells t-shirts, etc. with the beloved surf monkey logo. This may or may not be of any interest to anyone, but there ya go.

MR

I'm totally Pro Surfing Monkey. When I started building my home bar I knew I would have to revisit my childhood and go out and find one. For me there was never a question whether I would display one or not. Found one immediately and he's been on display for 8 years now.

S

Was this SURF MONKEY of yours purchased as a new or pre-owned model? I am looking for a few of them is why I ask this rather personal question.

TMI...

On 2010-03-10 19:13, skootiki wrote:
I am looking for a few of them is why I ask this rather personal question.

This is why Matt posts' here.

:D

S

after searching for awhile.......I found this monkey at a surf shop in I.B.
mahalo TNT Surf Shop

I think I bought it at the Koby's swapmeet. It was many many years ago.

S

surf monkeys like Cool Caddies, pretty girls and Bamboo Bens garage sales!!!!!!

Pages: 1 29 replies