Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Smuggler's Cove Sneak Preview Nights!

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

M

Aloooooha!

As you may have heard, Smuggler’s Cove will be opening to the public on Tuesday, December 8. But as a thank you to everyone on TC for all of your support, I’m pleased to invite you to one of our exclusive sneak preview nights! These intimate gatherings will offer you a chance to mingle, meet the crew and take in the décor in a private setting. There will be a total of six parties over three nights that you can choose from: December 4th, 5th, and 6th, with parties from 5pm-8pm and 9pm-midnight each night.

This will be a ticketed event- but don’t worry: Tickets are just ONE CENT! (plus, um, a 99 cent service fee).

Tickets are limited to 2 per person, and guests may only attend one party. Tickets will be will call only, and there will be a list at the door- please make sure you have picture ID for our doorman in order to get in!

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. These are soft openings. There might be a few bumps in the road!
  2. Please remember this is a neighborhood bar- there are many seniors living in the area as well as people who enjoy good old fashioned peace and quiet. As such, please be respectful of them and be quiet as you come and go, and as you are outside waiting for our doors to open.
  3. The parties are just three hours long- please come early- there will be a last call half an hour before the end of each party.

Thanks so much for your understanding on all of this!

So...are you ready to explore Smuggler’s Cove? The link to purchase sneak preview nights is here:

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/89850

Don’t delay: Get your tickets now! These events are small and will sell out!

Please remember that Smuggler’s Cove is strictly 21 and over and you must have your ID for entry.

Looking forward to welcoming you all soon!

Mahalo!

Martin

http://www.smugglerscovesf.com

C

Looking forward to this a bunch. See you at the later gig on Sat.

Cripes, Friday already sold out?!

Sat. too.

I'm in on Saturday night 9-midnight. With whom will I be drinking?

Just saw the email and already sold out? If anyone has two extra tickets for any night please let me know! Mahalo-Falin

Started calling around to see who was going on what night and when I got back to the ticket site, only Sunday 9pm was available. So...I'll be there Sunday night at 9pm =)

Missed this by two hours this morning.
DAMN IT.

Waaaaa! All sold out!

TWO

Brenda, you will be drinking with most us Paul Crawlers. The San Francisco Classic Cocktail Tour begins earlier that same afternoon.
It should be an fun night.

H

Trott and I have tickets for the early Friday event. I'm not surprised it sold out so quickly: the whole danged city seems to be ready to make this place their regular bar. People already recognize the logo when I wear my shirt around town. Someone commented on SFist that "this is the boozer's equivalent of Thomas Keller opening up a new restaurant in the city." A friend who is a very good bartender here in town told me that all the hot bartenders are itching to get a chance to work there. It all feels a little surreal. I'm so happy for Martin, and needless to say (but here it comes anyway!), I am very excited.

I'm thinking of maybe hitting Absinthe for dinner afterward, I've been meaning to try that place and it's so close to Smuggler's Cove.

C

Wish I could be there!

I'm looking forward the hearing all about it & seeing the pictures.

See ya at Smuggler's Cove next time I'm in town :wink:

Dang - I really missed out on that one... I didn't see Martin's email until it was already sold out. If anyone has an extra ticket, please let me know. I will pay DOUBLE... no no TRIPLE!! :wink:

Trad'r Bill

By popular demand:

SF CLASSIC COCKTAIL #10 Saturday Dec 5

1. ABSINTHE 2. JARDINIERE 3. SMUGGLER'S COVE(if you have a ticket)

Times TBA

We may do another Tour at same locations Dec 12

M

yow!

Well, that was quick- thank you all so much!

For those who couldn't get tickets, I am very sorry, but I had no idea it would sell that fast. Unfortunately, there is no time to have any additional preview parties. The good news is- starting Dec. 8th, we'll be open every day and look forward to seeing you!

MAHALO!
Martin

O
Otto posted on Mon, Nov 16, 2009 10:56 PM

SC will be open 7 days a week? What hours?
Is the address still a secret? I notice it's not posted anywhere here.

[ Edited by: Otto 2009-11-16 23:00 ]

On 2009-11-16 10:00, martiki wrote:
Please remember this is a neighborhood bar- there are many seniors living in the area as well as people who enjoy good old fashioned peace and quiet. As such, please be respectful of them and be quiet as you come and go, and as you are outside waiting for our doors to open.

Martiki, actually, just finished repainting that sign:

650 Gough St. San Francisco 94102
415-869-1900

I could be wrong but that's what I found via the good ole' internet- Otto.
Have fun guys and gals-wish I could be there sooner .

So...

What're people gonna wear?

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Dec 2, 2009 1:36 PM

Martiki is thinking outside the box here, so should you. Aloha wear may be inappropriate. How about pirate garb for the guys and low-cut "wench" dresses for the gals?

Or maybe something specific to Cuban or Haitian culture?

This look however might be taking it a bit too far....

I wouldn't recommend this either....

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-02 14:07 ]

Perfect! I have a Pirate-themed CanCan ensemble; it'll be perfect!

I'm going to wear an aloha shirt and pants made out of a cardboard box.
I am all about being inappropriate. Yeehaw!

H

Per a request from Martin, President of the Bay Area Chapter #302 of the Cheongsam Appreciation Society, I'm wearing a cheongsam.

O
Otto posted on Thu, Dec 3, 2009 11:53 PM

fez' are recommended

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 4, 2009 9:40 AM

GROG not know what a cheongsam is, but if anybody can look good wearing one, that would be Humhumu.

Hurry up with the first night pictures! :evil:

J

On 2009-12-04 09:40, GROG wrote:
GROG not know what a cheongsam is, but if anybody can look good wearing one, that would be Humhumu.

It's a dress invented by Paris Hilton as part of her clothing line. :)

I've got a sneak preview including video walkthrough up at the ol' blogternet.

Smuggler's Cove Sneak Preview

TraderTiki.com
Cocktails, Slinging Booze, original drinks, and Tiki

[ Edited by: Trader Tiki 2009-12-04 10:52 ]

[ Edited by: Trader Tiki 2009-12-04 10:53 ]

On behalf of everyone on the east coast...

you all stink and we hate you...

:wink:

have fun everyone and post tons of pictures please.

L

Just checked out the video. Congrats again Martin! The place--from the pics and video at least--looks amazing. Cant wait to check it out :)

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-12-04 11:03 ]

WOW!!!!

H

Hopefully most of you fine people will know that JOHN-O is only kidding, but in the interest of nipping any misinformation in the bud: Paris Hilton did not invent the Cheongsam. Kim Kardashian did.

If you want to see more pictures of Smuggler's Cove, Married With Dinner took some lovely ones:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marriedwithdinner/sets/72157622931498286/

But I really suggest you try to wait to see it in person for yourself. It's breathtakingly beautiful.

Who's going to the Sunday 9pm preview?

CJ

holy cow!

Home run for both Notch and Martin! See y'all sunday.

Thanks to some very good friends, we were the first batch of people to make it into the soft opening last night. All I can say is WOW! You are all really in for a treat. Martin has done it again!

J

On 2009-12-05 08:20, Tiki Kaimuki wrote:
Thanks to some very good friends, we were the first batch of people to make it into the soft opening last night. All I can say is WOW! You are all really in for a treat. Martin has done it again!

Dude,

That's all you're going to post? You're killing me !! :)

What's the vibe? Does this feel like a Polynesian Tiki-style bar or is the Caribbean influence a major factor. I was expecting more of a kitschy pirate theme but it seems more classy than that. Were there a lot of Tikis? How about stuffed parrots or skull and crossbones? Anything related specifically to Cuban, Haitian, or Voodoo iconography? Videos and pictures are fine but we'd love to hear a DETAILED first hand report.

How about the drink menu? Were the classic Tropicals there? Any non-Tropical (i.e. non-Tiki) rum classics. New concoctions?

What kind of music was playing?

Come on, if all you're going to post is "It was great, you should go", that doesn't help the people who are 300 (or 3000 miles) away.

"I was there first" posts are nice bragging rights but how about sharing the TC love? :lol: Thank Brah !! (or Sista?)

CJ

my buddy Mike D. posted a review on yelp which is good

http://www.yelp.com/biz/smugglers-cove-san-francisco

J

Yikes, its a sad state of affairs when TC'ers need to go to Yelp to get the real Tiki skinny. Let's raise the bar here on thoughtful and detailed posts. We're all rooted in the same Tiki-style sensibility and expectations so I'd love to hear the reviews from that stand-point. We know that Martiki didn't just do FI pt. 2 so how is SC really different? Again video and pictures are fine but let's hear your Tikiphile opinionated reviews (good and bad, pros and cons). I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say. :)

T

Attended the 9-12 preview last night. A great way to spend Repeal Day eve! I don't want to describe it in detail so people who go for the first time can have some surprises.

My favorite drinks of those I had last night were Three Dots and a Dash and Port Au Prince. I'm looking forward to trying them all, not necessarily in 10 days though!

Bravo Martiki and Notch!

[ Edited by: thejab 2009-12-06 13:16 ]

On 2009-12-05 11:46, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2009-12-05 08:20, Tiki Kaimuki wrote:

Dude,

That's all you're going to post? You're killing me !! :)

What's the vibe? Does this feel like a Polynesian Tiki-style bar or is the Caribbean influence a major factor. I was expecting more of a kitschy pirate theme but it seems more classy than that. Were there a lot of Tikis? How about stuffed parrots or skull and crossbones? Anything related specifically to Cuban, Haitian, or Voodoo iconography? Videos and pictures are fine but we'd love to hear a DETAILED first hand report.

How about the drink menu? Were the classic Tropicals there? Any non-Tropical (i.e. non-Tiki) rum classics. New concoctions?

What kind of music was playing?

Come on, if all you're going to post is "It was great, you should go", that doesn't help the people who are 300 (or 3000 miles) away.

"I was there first" posts are nice bragging rights but how about sharing the TC love? :lol: Thank Brah !! (or Sista?)

My post had nothing to do with trying to brag about being there first. The reason I did not
include a bunch of details was because I want TC people to be able to experience it for themselves without
the blahblahblah about what someone believes are the influences.
I personally did not want a "DETAILED" report before I went to see it. I wanted the joy of seeing
it first hand. Whether you're 300 or 3,000 miles away it is worth the effort to see what Martin and Notch have achieved visually. You will probably get a darn good drink as well.

J
JOHN-O posted on Sat, Dec 5, 2009 9:10 PM

On 2009-12-05 14:22, Tiki Kaimuki wrote:

The reason I did not include a bunch of details was because I want TC people to be able to experience it for themselves without the blahblahblah about what someone believes are the influences.

Tiki Kaimuki,

I am very interested in hearing your blahblahblah. If concerned, maybe you could include a SPOILER ALERT warning.

Gee if everyone's going to take this attitude then everyone please hold all your posts on the Mai Kai until I get a chance to visit. :D

BB

John-O seriously stick to the Yelp review for now, no one here that knows Martin or Nacho is going to spoil the thrill of the first time for anyone. You have to trust that they know what they're doing and believe me they do, This has both of their names attached to it and neither one would settle for anything less than perfect.

Now Kaimuki you can tell me this - Were the Swizzles ready? :wink:

K
KAHAKA posted on Sun, Dec 6, 2009 1:07 AM

John-O, RELAX, mah braddah. Come up for a visit, already, and knit-pick-it yourself.

R.I.P. To Brotha Nacho's Mom. May the smoke of every Top Notch Volcano reach the Heavens to let her know of the greatness her son has done.

On 2009-12-05 21:31, Bora Boris wrote:
John-O seriously stick to the Yelp review for now, no one here that knows Martin or Nacho is going to spoil the thrill of the first time for anyone. You have to trust that they know what they're doing and believe me they do, This has both of their names attached to it and neither one would settle for anything less than perfect.

Now Kaimuki you can tell me this - Were the Swizzles ready? :wink:

You will be feeling swizzled my friend. Unfortunately, in my euphoria, I forgot to hold on to some. I guess I will just be forced to return!

TK

I was only able to stay a little over an hour last night, but it was a fantastic hour.
Cheers to all involved!
Tiki King

On 2009-12-05 21:31, Bora Boris wrote:

Were the Swizzles ready?

Yes! Here it is, in all its swizzleriffic glory:

Pages: 1 2 72 replies