Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Smuggler's Cove Sneak Preview Nights!

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

OoooOOooohhh! :o

Thank you Haole'akamai !

A

Much anticipated and now finally appreciated! We were delighted to try several of the cocktails and a little of the Eurydice and the El Dorado special house rums. I ended with a Dead Reckoning, which was great, unusual, and delish. All bartenders were superb (we ordered upstairs and downstairs, all on the same tab), and everything tasted fantastic. What a menu and what a rum selection, hoo-hah!

If anyone doesn't want to see photos then don't look further, because here's some of ours...

Turning right just inside the door, you see this pair of balls, among other things.

A greeting from the proud proprietor. My what a long tassle you have!

Time to mull over the menu. Those are the stairs leading to the upper polynesian perch.

Bob's thirsty too.

Looking back toward the front door. Everywhere you look, the decor invites and envelopes.

The ground floor bar.

I really like this tiki in the corner. Is it just me, or does the rock look like a tiki in profile too?

Heading downstairs to the Boathouse, here's the actual cove in the cove.

Nice to see Martin and Rebecca enjoy the fruits of their labor (freshly squeezed no less).
Not sure what the guy in the background is doing to himself.

Listen closely, and you can hear the echoes of Donn and Vic.

The private reserve El Dorado house rum = YUM!

Back upstairs, playing "spot the dash next to the three dots".

The volcano bowl finds an admirer.

-Randy

T

WOWEE !

Looks AMAZING in there !

Congratz Martin !

TD

I went early Saturday night and it was amazing!
Drinks, Decor, and people were all top notch! :)

Congrats Martin!

On 2009-12-05 11:49, Coco Joe wrote:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/smugglers-cove-san-francisco

I know Martiki despises Yelp with a white-hot burning passion. It certainly isn't like the unwashed masses will comprehend that what is Smuggler's Cove, and it'll be no time before some of the uninitiated will be giving poor reviews like, "Dude, I just wanted a beer and I had to wait. WTF?", but I'm willing to throw focus in that gene pool for now.

Hey Randy, may I repost a pic, or two, to yelp?

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2009-12-07 11:40 ]

C

:o :o

I knew it would be FABULOUS, but those picture - well, just WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for my next trip out that way to check out Smuggler's Cove!!

Congrats to Martin on the opening of Smugglers' Cove!

J

Well San Francisco is hardly a city of the "unwashed masses". I'm sure their young single, gay, and DINK demographic groups have both the sophistication and disposable income to make SC a great success. I would imagine though, this is going to impact FI business since now you don't have to cross the bay to get a great tropical drink (for those who live in the city).

My mind is blown. Great concept, excellent execution guys. Smuggler's Cove is a fantasy come to life.

A
aquarj posted on Mon, Dec 7, 2009 2:18 PM

On 2009-12-07 10:35, Haole'akamai wrote:
Hey Randy, may I repost a pic, or two, to yelp?

Sure! If anyone missed it, the photos from that blog link that Humu posted were really beautiful and comprehensive too.

Like everyone else here, I really really hope SC is a wild success for Martin and Rebecca and everybody involved.

BTW, I forgot to ask, or look... did anyone see the names of the participants in the "veil" game affixed somewhere?

-Randy

T
thejab posted on Mon, Dec 7, 2009 3:24 PM

Fabulous photos Randy!

T
thejab posted on Mon, Dec 7, 2009 4:06 PM

WARNING! Spoiler alert!

Prepare yourself for this TC-exclusive of the exterior facade of Smuggler's Cove! You're not going to believe your eyes!

:lol:

But seriously, I love the way passers-by have no clue to what is behind that door! It makes it all that more mysterious.

Soooooo, Dean...You're in line already?

I hope you've layered your clothing. It's gonna be a cold wet night.

Wow!! Simply stunning looking.
Congrats to Martin, and Notch,
and anybody else involved.

I seriously can't wait to get up there in Jan.
may have to plan a couple days there.
and take it in slowly.

Jeff(btd)

A beautiful work of art Martin and Notch.
Congrats all around!

All you need now is a wahine serving drinks and I will have my pay check direct deposited to the Smuggler's Cove account.

Ha!! Agreed.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

On 2009-12-08 12:00, Unga Bunga wrote:

.... Raiderette! ...

I tried 3 drinks, first the Dat Dat Dosh (too sweet for my tongue), second the Rum Barrel (I bought the barrel), and my favorite of the 3 was the Chi Chi Pache. She could serve me that one anytime.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-12-08 12:34 ]

A
aquarj posted on Tue, Dec 8, 2009 4:48 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention an idea... Suppose they rig up a bucket and pulley system between "the hut" upstairs and the ground floor bar. Then you can lean over the railing, request a drink, and have it prepared and elevated right to you. It could be done!

-Randy

LOVED IT! Nacho is a master ninja !

B
BigToe posted on Tue, Dec 8, 2009 9:01 PM

WOW. STUNNING JOB U GUYS!!!! the interior is PERFECT. Your attention to detail is truly awesome.

congratulations!!!!!!

Well, I wrote something earlier but it got lost in the ether...
Anyway, I was lucky enough to be able to attend the Sunday 5 pm pre-party.
I dragged along three (non-tiki) school buddies.
My friends who have never been to a tiki bar, were thoroughly impressed...I, who have been in quite a few bars, was extremely impressed.
Excellent job Martin, Notch and everyone else involved.
We sat at the street level bar, and ordered 4 drinks:
Port Au Prince, Captain's Grog, Puka Punch and Zombie.
All of them were very good, but the Puka Punch and the Zombie were my favorite.
After that, I ordered a level 3 Pain Killer, which was tastey, but I think a level 4 would have been better. Then, the Rum Barrel - oh my god, was it good and spicey. Naturally, I bought the Barrel mug.
My friends left, and I told them I'll forge through on my own...
I strolled down to the downstairs bar, and as I finished my rum Barrel, I realized I should try one of the original creations. Martin suggested El Pampanito, and that was another home run. Excellent drink.
At that point it was time for last call for the time slot, so I dragged my feet out into the stormy SF weather to soak the alocohol with Sushi from Japantown.

This was a great experience, too bad it's so far from San Diego my home town, as this is now my favorite place to get a drink.

Ran

[ Edited by: kick_the_reverb 2009-12-09 16:48 ]

K
KeithH posted on Wed, Dec 9, 2009 9:44 PM

I came home tonight to find a package waiting in the mailbox from a friend in SF. Last April I drug a couple of friends out to FI and they totally loved it (they'd been to Trad'r Sam many times as it is just down the street).

Somehow they got tickets to the very first preview (neither read this forum).

Long story short... in the package was a SC swizzle AND the cocktail list. OMG! How many visits does it take to get through that entire list? I want to try everything.

Looking forward to my next trip to SF so I can experience SC in person.

never mind

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2009-12-09 22:11 ]

Looks incredible Martin and I know every drop of every cocktail tastes amazing! Congrats! Kudos's everyone involved wow! I can't wait to get up north after the holidays, I think a gang of us are headin' out & up on on a road trip. See you NorCal Hipsters soon -HiPhiPaHulA!

T

The Cove looks spectacular. Congrats Martin and Co. Sorry I could not be there but Brenda brought my warm wishes.

Warmest Tiki Holiday Greeting to All,

TB

Pages: 1 2 72 replies