Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Stockton Islander BambooTreasure, Trade, Swap or Free

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies

Well I got a call from the Jungle Trader last Saturday night. He was at the Trader Vic's Tikiyaki show vending. It sounded like everyone was having fun and the bamboo was going fast. Mahalo JT for helping out on that. Talked to Tai Won On also, very cool, he said he's sending some rum my way via JT. Love rum so Mahalo Tai.

On Sunday Tobunga stopped by my place and showed me a great painting he did of the Islander with an Islander bamboo frame. He did a fantastic job on it. I gave him some more bamboo to pass out to the TC Ohana in So Cal. If you see him at a Tiki event ask him about it if you want any.

:)

I think it only took about 15 minutes and it was all gone. The word spread like wildfire. Somebody would say, "What's that?" they'd make a beeline over and BAM another piece gone, then it would happen again and again. Kinda funny. After I told Tacky Tiki only one per household she said she was moving out. heh. It was a feeding frenzy.

LT

On 2010-01-30 19:29, TravelingJones wrote:
Howzit LOL!

The necklace was made in the PI and imported/sold by a fella down in Key West. He was a TC'r called Ratiki...but hasn't posted in a couple years. FYI, yes they are real boars tusk, bone and wood beads.

Mahalo'z abstracttiki for da trade and I'll let ya know when da "boo" washes upon Eastern Shores... :D

Itz Good Jonesy, howzit with you!? Thanks for the info on the necklace.

T

Just wanted to post what I've done with some of the bamboo I got from Abstractiki...
I had wanted to do a Stockton Islander painting for some time, and receiving some Islander bamboo from Abstractiki was the impetus to complete this piece.
It measures 15x22, sized to fit the pieces of bamboo. I was very pleased with the way it turned out!

Mucho Mahalos, Abstractiki!

1961 Surf picked up a piece of bamboo from Vamp a while back. Earlier this week I got this in the mail from him. Super cool 75th Anniversary TV T-Shirt, DTBC Coaster, DTBC & Hale Tiki Swizzles. Mahalo Bill!! :)

J

Hi guys! I'm new to the site, but have read just about everything on the Stockton Islander there is...

Both my parents families and myself were born in Stockton and my mom actually went to the Islander for a prom... pretty cool!

Abstractiki do you still have any bamboo available? I'd be interested in some just for my personal collection.. I only have just a few mugs but would like some to create a fun display with. I don't really have anything to trade, but do have some cash and I make some mean homemade cookies!

Cheers! -Karen

Aloha Karen! Welcome to TC and great meeting another Islander Fan. Does your mom have any pictures from Prom at the Islander?? That would be fantastic if she did.

Out of 125 pieces (with many of those cut into smaller sections) I saved 25 for my self and have only 17 left. Some of these will be cut into smaller sections since they are 10 ft long so yea I have some left.

I love homemade cookies. :) I'll send you a PM

Cheers!

Abstract,

Save a piece for me, I need one to go with my Islander mug collection PTD sent me for the mug trade.

Thanks.

DC

Got it right here DC whenever you're ready! Yea, I was drooling over those Islander mugs you got in the mug swap!

J

This is so cool!

I will be trying to stop by abstracttiki's to pick up a piece soon, I live in the Sacramento area too.
I have a lot going on this week, which is pretty rare... so yes save me a piece too! I love the blue masking tape it's so official : D

My mom came from a pretty frugal family of farmers in Stockton and they weren't the type to take lots of photos or save knick-knacks, but I'm going to double check with her, she may have a photo hiding somewhere.

I have a small collection, just a smiley mug, the common three faced one and a coconut..
Whenever I have a birthday coming up I tell people I want tiki mugs and they think I'm kidding. sniffles

I look forward to move adventures on the forum and meeting everyone!
-Karen

Ok Karen, consider it saved! :)

Big Mahalo to whiskeyblood for the nice tip! and Tikitam for a great donation, the support is much appreciated. :)

Beachbumz traded and sent me this Tiki goodness all the way from Hawaii!

Super cool Tiki Lamp!

Same lamp w/no flash photo.

Cute Menehune key chains!

Nice Tiki Tours postcards!

Mahalo Beachbumz! :)

After making an 8x10 print of this Pit Bar picture I noticed the piece of bamboo on the left side on the bar back looked really familiar. I went out to the bamboo factory, aka my garage, and found the exact piece!

Here's the piece in the bar.

Here they are, side by side, the same piece nearly 50 years later.

I also have the really long piece at the top of the bar hanging in the factory rafters!

Another interesting thing; earlier in this tread I theorized that the dark spots on the bamboo came from water damage while being stored in the dilapidated Pollardville warehouse.

Looking at the old photos closely I can now see that the spots were there from the earliest days of the restaurant.

Ive never seen bamboo like this before so hhmmm... another Islander mystery...

Whoa, that's cool Abstract! I wonder if I can see mine...

Abstract,

That, my friend, is unbelievable! You matched some pieces of bamboo to the photo. Talk about authentication, it dosn't get any better than that.

Thanks for putting a piece aside for me, I have been thinking about a worthy trade package for you.

DC

Forgot to add this photo. I got the shelf at Bamboo Ben's Nooner last year, it is made with recycled materials from some of his restaurant work (Luau and Kon Tiki I think). The Islander Mugs are from the awesome trade with PTD.

So I just need to get some of that Islander bamboo incorporated into this mix and I will have a nice little presentation for the corner Tiki area.

Need to find some Islander paper items, hard to do.

DC

Nice shelf and mugs DC , great trade from a great guy.Duane has a real keen taste in
fine vintage tiki especially when it comes to the Islander.Abstract, your knowledge
and info is always appreciated .

Wow, I am almost blushing...good to know it is appreciated.

Abstract, I do have been lucky enough to acquire several pieces of your bamboo treasure, via Moondog426 and VampiressRN, so when, not if, you make it up the our neck of the woods, I owe you a thing or two.

Let me know if you are gonna be around one of these days!

PTD

Trad'r Bill - thanks TB, comb the photos maybe you can find it! I cant even remember now what pieces we traded!

DC - thanks DC, whatever you you want to swap is fine with me, seriously, I'm happy with any thing. I have some smaller approx. 1ft. x 1in. pieces that would look good sticking out of the bucket mug with the artifact tag on it. Also I could cut a 4 in. wide x 8 to 10 in piece you could stand up next to the hula girl mug. We'll figure out something my friend. I would love to have some matchbooks or menus to, let me know if you come across a stash somewhere!

61 Surf - thanks bud, I just got a confirmed leed on several Islander Velvet nudes and another Interior photo! I'll be inspecting them later this week and posting to the Hop Louie thread!

PTD - glad you were able to pick some up! I'll be at up in Sactiki for the "Cruise on the HMS VampTiki" Sat. April 3rd. Hopefully I will see you there!

Aloha! :)

J

It appears that abstractiki is receiving some online press.
A customer of Marie's alerted us to an article on Recordnet.com (San Joaquin County's newspaper, The Record)
called "Tiki A Go-Go: Polynesian Landmarks Gain Campy Cult Status."

Check it out here...

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100228/A_NEWS0803/2280303

Kudos, abstractiki, and big mahalos for all of your hard work!!!

B

Great Islander article David, even gave TC a little plug... :wink:

Mahalo's again for sending me out the Islander bamboo.. I have a few pieces of it on
display here at our shop... now I maybe I can try and match it up with the
old picture you have shown...

Thanks beachbumz and thanks for posting this pic of the bamboo on display! I talked to Tommy Lee's Daughter this week and told her about the project and that some of the Islander bamboo was now on display in Hawaii. She was quite impressed and happy to hear about it.

I met up with the Jungle Trader last Thursday at Minnie's. He gave me an awesome gift pack from Tai Won On. I had sent Tai a big piece of bamboo via JT during the Trader Vic's Tikiyaki show a while back.

The pack included 4 cool HukiLau glasses, bunch of neat Swizzles from Smuggler's Cove, TraderTiki.com, Trader Vic's and a super sweet bottle of Premium Rum!!! Mahalo to you Tai! :)

I brought JT a big piece and some smaller pieces to hand out at the next event. He brought me a cool coconut birdcage and an awesome Minnie's Tiki Mug. Its super sized with a nice brown glaze! There was only a few of these made he tells me. Mahalo TJ! :)

Sweet abstract !

thanks 61! I'm stoked!

I got this cool tiki painting from Tiki G a few days ago, I sent him a huge 7ft piece for some Tiki bar project he is working on. Big Mahalos Tiki G! :)

On 2010-03-13 12:05, abstractiki wrote:

The pack included ... and a super sweet bottle of Premium Rum!!! Mahalo to you Tai! :)

Hey that's not just any premium rum, that's a Demerara rum. Use it wisely!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Mar 22, 2010 8:32 AM

abstractiki -

Thanks for posting my painting, man!

By the way...the 7' Islander bamboo arrived safely in Palmdale and awaits its new home inside "The Grotto" - stay tuned for pictures of this project.

Thanks for everything and I hope to make it up to Stockton for a tour (maybe a few So. Cal tikiphiles would like to do that together someday??!?? ROAD TRIP!!)

Cheers! G

Looking forward to seeing that big piece in "The Grotto", awesome! Yea road trip & Tiki tour, come on down.

I just stopped by the Islander today and found one of the windows under the A-frame is now broken out. I found the Lei I had hung up on the outrigger a while back laying on the ground. This was an unplanned stop so I just hung it back up on a big bolt by the front doors.

Cheers!

Hakalugi wrote - "Hey that's not just any premium rum, that's a Demerara rum. Use it wisely!"

My plan is to save it for special occasions but having never tried it I was dying to take a sip. Last night I opened it for the first time. I ended up drinking a bit more than planned!

delicious! :)

LT

On 2010-03-22 18:59, abstractiki wrote:

Time out... what's that you got hanging on the wall there!?!

Oh that old thing? :) I bought an Aaron Bros. bamboo frame (11x17) for a print Eric October gave me and it didn't fit so I took the B/W Islander file from the Bank of Stockton and put a soft fade on the edges of the file. Then took the file to my local UPS store and had them enlarged to fit and printed used regular copy paper. Cost $1.39. It came out looking old, faded and kind a cool looking. It's got an eerie ghostly quality to it.

That's my back yard Tiki Hut Bar(in progress). Any one could do the same thing with the common Islander post card image. Just photo-shop it to black and white and so forth. :)

I was recently contacted by a very nice lady named Jo who used to work as a bartender at the Stockton Latitude 20. She was interested in Islander Bamboo and so I swapped her several nice pieces for this big bottle of "Sailor Jerry" rum. She also shared some pictures of the Latitude and Islander/Latitude artifacts. Ill post photos of those later on the Hop Louie and Latitude threads.

Mahao for swapping and sharing Jo!

Eric October stopped by the bamboo factory today and picked up several pieces for Dusty Cajun and some more to give out to the TC Ohana down south. The bamboo wasn't even for him and in his true TC aloha spirit gave me some cool tiki gifts anyway.

I was blown away by the great craftsmanship and artistry of his second Islander pendant. It sits on a pedestal with Islander bamboo until it's time to wear it. Then you just gently remove it, unravel the lanyard in back and wear with Tiki pride.

Mahalo Eric :)

Close up of Islander Pendant with pedestal

FI postcard, 2 FI coasters, 2 DTBC napkins and pendant

David asked me to post some pictures of the bamboo I received. Enjoy.

The framing is from the Islander. This is where I display my wahine mugs.

This is the flat piece of bamboo he gave me. It is a work in progress. That is the name and logo of my lounge.

Here is a tribute plaque that I made explaining the origin of the bamboo.

Mahalo for looking.

Darilyn

[ Edited by: LiddleLola 2010-09-15 13:29 ]

Mahalo to all who made this possible and especialy to VampiressRN who was kind enough to swap a piece of Islander bamboo with me. It was swapped for one of the pieces from a lot of bamboo trim I acquired from the now defunct "New Tiki" (originally the "Tiki Lau") in Westford, Mass.

Darilyn, wow! what a cool use for the bamboo! and the tribute plaque is really nice and a special touch. Mahalo!

I just fired up the bamboo factory again to get ready for the Sacramento Capital Home Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour.

I will be giving away more bamboo (17 pieces) at Duane and Ami's Tiki Garage Sale Saturday from 2:00PM to 3:45PM.

I'm getting really low on bamboo. After this i only have maybe 10 pieces left and a few scraps!!!

Any one who wants a piece just see me there!

Aloha!

H

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2010-10-05 20:55 ]

Well the Sacramento Tiki Tour was fantastic and I ended up giving away all but three pieces at the Tiki Garage Sale. Here is a pic of my little bamboo giveaway stand almost cleaned out.

I spotted some Islander Bamboo on the tour. It's great to see it on display with the other artifacts and mugs! Long Live the Islander!

at kingstiedye's place

at Psycho Tiki D and tikihammer's place

at Tackt Tiki's place

at Vamp's place

I'll post some tour photos on it's event thread.

Aloha!

A few months ago I sent Eric October to So Cal with some Islander Bamboo for Dusty Cajun. The other day I received an absolutely fabulous package of Vintage tiki ephemera from him! That was very generous and I will always take care of and treasure this tiki treasure! Mahalo Dusty for trading and Mahalo Eric for doing the tiki transport!

Mai-Kai postcard, Kona Kai swizzle, Hawaiian Luau - Fontainebleau swizzle, Kon Tiki menu,
Kona Kai swizzle, Postcard of Don the Beachcomber Rum Label, DTBC matchbook, Mai-Kai matchbook,
Kon Tiki Ports matchbook, Tradervics matchbook.

A special shout out to Dave who brought bamboo to the SacTiki Crawl. I know people were excited to receive the historic bamboo with those fabulous tags.

Thanks to rugbymatt for giving me a beautiful piece of bamboo from the "Tiki Lau" which existed in Westford, Mass. :)

I am thinking I need to place these beautiful bamboo pieces lower on my wall so they can be easier to admire.

THANKS DAVE & MATT!!!

Stockton Islander Bamboo shows up in Tiki Magazine Spring 2011 Issue!

Nice work Eric!

Way to go Abstract! Your Islander bamboo has been published.

Here is a crappy photo of the great piece of Islander bamboo you gave me hanging up in my kids rumpus room. It was the only place that that huge door frame would fit!

Thanks again, it means a lot to this old Stockton boy.

DC

You're welcome DC and thanks a lot for posting the pic! Looks great! I still have a few small pieces left if anyone is interested.

T

On 2011-05-11 17:40, abstractiki wrote:
Stockton Islander Bamboo shows up in Tiki Magazine Spring 2011 Issue!

Nice work Eric!

Ha Ha! I had to go back a page to see where the bamboo got published... what a surprise to see my tiki magazine ad!

But it's the Stockton Islander bamboo that makes that piece extra-special!

Thank you again Dave for your generosity in sharing a bit of tiki history with us all!

I will be at the Forbiden Island Parking Lot Sale in Alemeda this Sunday the 25th. I'll be bringing a few small pieces of Islander bamboo with me in case anyone wants one, just let me know.

Here is the link to the event.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=41116&forum=17&13

I will be wearing my unofficial TC Name Tag for easy identification.

Aloha,
Abs

Aye!!!

I just found a heap of Abstractiki Stockton Islander Bamboo

in my attic from my old shop. Also I noticed I never gave a

proper MAHALO!!!! to you Ab, here on TC. Also for the Octobers

for delivery of the stash :wink: Thanks to youz both's!!! Now.....

What to make.......

What to make...........

T

Make something that looks like the Stockton Islander!!!

In fact, can you rebuild the Islander from the ground up? Now THAT would be awesome!

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies