Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Crouching Lion Inn, Kaaawa, HI (restaurant)

Pages: 1 13 replies

Name:Crouching Lion Inn
Type:restaurant
Street:51-666 Kamehameha Highway
City:Kaaawa
State:HI
Zip:96730
Phone:(808) 237-8981

Description:
The Crouching Lion Inn is located on Kamehameha Highway on the windward coast of Oahu beneath a rock formation resembling a lion.

They are open for lunch and dinner.

The Crouching Lion Inn's website is down, but it seems that they've been open for over 50 years. I couldn't find much info on the history of the place, but what I did find was a huge disparity between the reviews regarding the food and the service.

I looked up the location on Googlemaps. I understand why people are drawn to this place. The view of the ocean is lovely. No sign of the giant tiki from the menu though.

I have been there. That tiki is not there. Food was not that good.

If I remember right they have a large gift shop, with mostly touristy stuff.

I got this nice little postcard rendering from the Crouching Lion Inn years ago and always thought that the place should have some Tiki.

Here is a more modern postcard showing the building (on ebay). You can see that the front part of the building by the A-frame was expanded from the rendering.

DC

L

On 2009-11-23 18:30, tikimecula wrote:
I have been there. That tiki is not there. Food was not that good. If I remember right they have a large gift shop, with mostly touristy stuff.

When were you last there? Yes, the food used to be barely passable, as it was geared mostly to serve the large tour groups that came through on buses. However, a new owner took over the Crouching Lion just over a year ago, made extensive repairs to the structure (while keeping it in its original configuration), and defintiely upgraded the menu and the quality of the food. The one-year anniversary party was just a couple of months ago.
Also, at some point after those photos and illustrations above, another large dining room was added on the right side. There's a small gift shop below that addition, but it's not run by Crouching Lion; it's rented out to various vendors. Over the past few years it's been an art gallery, a gift shop, and a few other uses.
The main building was originally a private home before being converted.
There's also a brand new carving of a crouching lion at the front entrance, done by the gentleman who carves all the tikis in the front yard of his home near the mac nut farm close to Kualoa Ranch and Chinaman's Hat island.
Crouching Lion also has a new series of tall tiki mugs that they started selling late in 2009, celebrating 50 years of statehood. I just looked at mine, and on the bottom it says "Parker Mfg. by TikiFARM 2009." I'll try to post some photos soon.
I'll also try to take photos of the other tiki items. I play music out there every Wednesday night from 7pm on. If you're in the area, come on out and say Aloha to the bass player!

[ Edited by: LikaNui 2010-02-21 20:36 ]

[ Edited by: LikaNui 2010-02-21 20:38 ]

[ Edited by: LikaNui 2010-02-21 20:41 ]

HOK

Vintage Mug

Kinda sand colored outer glaze, red lion, white inner glaze and brown matte bottom

Crouching Lion Inn, Kaaawa, Hawaii
A couple years ago, the owners of Tropicaina in Punaluu were going to take over Crouching Lion....still need to check-in one of these days... :roll:

Aloha, Freddie

Giftshop

Inside the inn... Update - Freddie tells me it's a Gecko casting...

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-04-06 19:28 ]

The Crouching Lion is kind of a legendary place in my memory. To this day, if anyone asks my dad about driving out past Makaha he will tell the story of how he would drive all the way past Kaena Point to the Crouching Lion when he was a young man in the Navy. Back then (early 70's) I was never very interested in the Crouching Lion but it is kind of a landmark and now holds a special place in my heart.

Does anyone know if the same watercolor artist did these 3 Hawaii establishments depictions? If so who is it?

Aloha,

Here's our lady again. I tried to clean up the microfilm scan. I am getting a bit better at it.

Interesting to see the building in the background... Hmmm, what are those things on the building? Could it be?

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-04-06 19:31 ]

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-04-06 19:37 ]

Found an old photo of the restaurant online, no sign of the Tiki out front.

But wait, here is a photo of the Tiki from 1967, looks to be in on the side of the restaurant building with a cool little grass hut.

That was one impressive Tiki!

DC

Spotted another old tourist photo of the giant Tiki at the Crouching Lion.

DC

Another ebay photo of the tourists and the big Tiki.

DC

Great picture!
Love the Tiki!!

Looks like the same pic (reversed and color) as the one posted above and from a couple years earlier!!
Great shot though. Wonder where the Tiki went? In an earlier post it was said that it is not there anymore. Wonder if still exists?

TabooDan

Pages: 1 13 replies