Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Which Public Place Has the Highest TIPSY ratio?

Pages: 1 20 replies

Would it be the Kon Tiki in Tucson?
Maybe the Purple Orchid in El Segundo?
Tiki's Bar & Grill in Waikiki?

I'm thinking it is the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu's North Shore?

Bifachu's House!
in Huntington Beach!
Check it out in the latest Tiki magazine!

UT

The Mai Kai

Highest TIPSY Factor for a Bar/Restaurant?

The Mai Kai.

Maybe Trader Vic's Emeryville, can't confirm or deny the Arizona reference as I've never been there nor seen pictures.

Highest TIPSY for a Place?

City of Refuge on Hawaii. Followed closely by the P.C.C. on Oahu. Followed just as closely by Benzart's studio.

T

On 2009-12-01 07:47, christiki295 wrote:
Would it be the Kon Tiki in Tucson?

No

Maybe the Purple Orchid in El Segundo?

No

Tiki's Bar & Grill in Waikiki?

No

I'm thinking it is the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu's North Shore?

No

If we're being technical and thinking mathematically about actual Tikis Per Square Yard, I'm going to have to say Oceanic Arts.

i think we have a winner!

I don't think that Don the Beachcomber in Sunset Beach Ca. has as many tiki's as the Mai Kai, but I haven't been to Florida.

but since your in Ca. Christiki you should come down and check it out.

Jeff(btd)

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Dec 1, 2009 10:48 AM

Kate has it right - in my experience its definitely Oceanic Arts in Whittier.

G

I think your question really needs to keep separate the restaurant/bar Tikis from those at the PCC and Place of Refuge. The latter Tikis are culturally and historically significant to the Hawaiian people. They're "real". You're not going to find any Barney West there. It seems a bit silly for us to apply a TiPSY factor there. But if we're just talking commercial Tiki places, then game on!

Kate may be right about OA at #1, but then again, there's Wayne Coombs' gallery in Cocoa Beach. Love 'em or not, his place is filled with the big tooth buggers. (To be fair though, not all are of that style. He has quite a few that go in completely different artistic directions. But anyway.) Highest TiPSY factor in a restaurant/bar has got to be the Mai-Kai. No contest. I mean, the poles alone...

Would it really be the Mai Kai? The bar is nautical, not Tiki.

H

San Diego.

There are tikis everywhere. On lawns and porches visible from the streets, in front of public buildings like firehouses and especially shelter Island which has subtle tikis carved into every bus stop, sign pole and baracade. Oh, also as school and business mascots throughout the city.

The gauntlet has been thrown.

B
BigToe posted on Wed, Dec 2, 2009 8:49 AM

come on Fellas. tipsy over-load lives at Mugoomba at Tiki Farm.

On 2009-12-02 07:57, christiki295 wrote:

The Molokai Bar may be modeled after the inside of a ship, but just outside of the windows lay at least 45 different tiki's, and theres also the two big ones just outside the windows by the water fall.

Then, every pole for every handrail in the place is carved with tikis, plus the roughly 100 different tikis inside the various dining rooms, and I lost count of the number of tikis in the gardens because there is always a new one peeking out from behind something.

And I didn't even count the inside gardens....

In short, I'll bet money that the Mai Kai probably has the highest TIPSY factor of any bar or restaurant out there.

On 2009-12-02 08:46, hodadhank wrote:
...especially shelter Island which has subtle tikis carved into every bus stop, sign pole and baracade.

Is that what those things are? :lol:

On 2009-12-02 07:57, christiki295 wrote:

as stated before I have not been to the Mai Kai.
But I have droooled over the 100s if not 1000s of pics of the place on TC.
If you are in doubt, either look at all the pics, or go there.

Jeff(btd)

G

Well, since it appears there are at least two long-time TCers on this thread who have never been to the Mai-Kai, let me take this opportunity to say... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??? I realize there are valid reasons (I guess) for not making the pilgrimage (like being dead I suppose). :D Seriously though, don't take it for granted that it will always be there waiting for you. The Mai-Kai is going strong, but all it could take is one lucrative buyer offer and poof, no more Mai-Kai. You already know how it's the last of its kind, the last Tiki palace, blah blah blah. Just find a way to get there while it's still around!

On 2009-12-03 09:19, GatorRob wrote:
... Just find a way to get there while it's still around!

AS if you really need an excuse for the trip.... if you do how about:

New Years Eve. A wonderful place to ring in the new year.

A Birthday Bash! A group of locals (and some travelers) are staging a Mai Kai take over the last weekend of February. Poke around on Facebook for more details, or PM me.

The Ides of March. I doubt you can find any travel specials related to this particular day, but why should that stop you from sitting in the bar with with the Molokai Maidens. Not exactly Romanesque, but if you squint up your eyes a bit and have a couple of more drinks it should be a small leap of imagination.

Tax Day! After a hard day of filing your 1040's, why not treat yourself to a Jet Pilot or three in the Molokai Bar.

May Day! Not really anything special going on, but why not make the effort to put May Day back on the Hallmark list of card giving holidays.

Hukilau! If you have to wait until next June, well... make the trek down and see the place full to the rafters with people in their best Aloha wear. There's details about the event somewhere in here...

I am sure I am forgetting a bunch of other 'reasons' to go to the Mai Kai. I find celebrating days that end in Y to be the best reason to go.

T

NOT counting Oceaninc Arts ( They're a tiki store fer chrissakes) definitely the Mai Kai.

I wish Don's would add more tikis....I know they are, but at 15,000 sq ft, so higher TIPSY factor would cost them ALOT of money. Still, it would be nice to see a few more in there. I'm not complainin' mind you...the bar has plenty.

Worst TIPSY factor for a "tiki/polyneisan" themed place....DAMONS. Great place....no tikis.

On 2009-12-03 13:56, tikiyaki wrote:
NOT counting Oceaninc Arts ( They're a tiki store fer chrissakes)

Thank you for saying that Jim, I didn't want to be the one to say it first,
and put my foot in my mouth.
Of course OA has a lot of tikis.
Ever been to a shoe store that didn't have a lot of shoes?
:wink:

and
Believe me, I really really want to see the Mai Kai.
and I don't really need a special occasion.
though If/when I get there it will probably be for Hukilau.
But I will prob. go a few days early to experience it,
with less than full capacity crowds.

the problem for me is
a. affording the trip to Fla.
b. I don't get vacation time in summer.
have to take it between Oct. and April.
:(

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-12-03 19:54 ]

I have to add the Tikis located on the lanai at Kalapaki Beach at the Kauai Marriott Resort & Beach Club and Duke's in Kauai. There are approx 4 good quality Tikis in a short stretch, near the ocean!

I think a special mention should be made regarding PCH along Sunset Beach, which includes about 5 Tikis in a 1-mile stretch.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2010-06-19 21:06 ]

Pages: 1 20 replies