Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Christmas cocktail suggestions?

Pages: 1 13 replies

A friend of mine wants to make a "signature" cocktail for a Christmas gathering at her house. She doesn't want a hot drink, nog, or punch. Doesn't have to be tiki, just Christmas-y. Any suggestions?

A

On 2009-12-04 12:25, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
A friend of mine wants to make a "signature" cocktail for a Christmas gathering at her house. She doesn't want a hot drink, nog, or punch. Doesn't have to be tiki, just Christmas-y. Any suggestions?

She doesn't want the drink to be hot, nog or punch, but she wants it to be Christmas-y? Are you sure she wants a Christmas drink?

How about a Peppermint Patty:
2 oz vodka
1 oz peppermint schnapps
1/2 oz white creme de cacao

Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice. Stir gently and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2009-12-04 13:54 ]

TL

I forgot what post I got this one from but, I find it tasty. Christmas Fairy 1 1/2 oz gin. 1/2 oz chartreuse. 1/8 oz absente. 1/2 oz orgeat. Shake and strain into a small cocktail glass garnish with a mint sprig.

I'm starting to get excited about the holidays, so here's a few Christmas cocktails I've found:
This one is from Guy Fieri's show. It may have been a Thanksgiving episode.
T-Bird Blush
2 tbsp canned whole cranberries
10 mint leaves
4 oz white cranberry juice
2 oz vodka
½ lime juice
1 lime wedge
Green-coloured sugar (for rim)
Muddle cranberries and mint leaves with ice in shaker. Add cranberry juice, lime juice, and vodka and shake. Strain into glass rimmed with lime wedge and green sugar.

I actually didn't like this one, but then I don't really like cranberries or mojitos...

I think I stole this from Red Robin. It's not much of a cocktail, but it is festive.
Gingerbread Cocktail
½ oz gingerbread syrup
1½ oz spiced rum
7-Up
Pour syrup and rum into highball glass filled with ice cubes. Fill with 7-Up and stir to mix.

And this one is from the liner notes of Ultra-Lounge's Best of Christmas Cocktails CD.
Mistletoe Martini
1 1/4 oz gin
1/4 oz dry vermouth
1/4 tsp peppermint schnapps
Cracked ice as required
Candy cane to garnish
Well, everyone knows how to mix a martini. I'm sure you could use vodka, too, if you prefer.

I'd start with gin, nothing says Christmas more than the taste of Pine-Sol :D

K

One of my favorites I found a few years ago and all of my friends seem to love it as well. It takes some pretty serious prep as you have to macerate the vodka for a few days to get all of the flavors.

Cranberry Spice
http://www.cocktailtimes.com/original/fris_cranberry.shtml

A champagne cocktail classic for Christmas is the Poinsetta.

M

I humbly suggest the Bum Rudder:

Bum Rudder
1½ oz Smith & Cross dark Jamaican rum
½ oz Falernum
½ oz Don’s Spices #2
½ oz Cinnamon Syrup
1 tsp Coconut Butter
4 oz hot Apple Cider (non spiced)
dash bitters

Pour hot cider over other ingredients in a heat proof glass or mug. garnish with clove-pierced orange peel and cinnamon stick.

In context

Craig 'Colonel Tiki' Hermann
Colonel Tiki's Drinks

[ Edited by: Melintur 2010-12-13 15:40 ]

Trinidad Sour by Giuseppe Gonzalez, Painkiller NYC
1 oz Angostura bitters
1 oz orgeat syrup
¾ oz lemon juice
½ oz rye

Shake well with ice and fine strain in to a cocktail glass.

Stormy Mai Tai by Giuseppe Gonzalez, Painkiller NYC
1½ oz Angostura bitters
1 oz lime juice
¾ oz orgeat syrup
¾ oz curaçao
½ oz light rum

Shake all ingredients but rum well with ice and strain in to an ice-filled old-fashioned glass. Top with crushed ice and swizzle lightly. Float light rum on top and garnish with a sprig of mint.

http://tradermagnus.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: Trader Magnus 2010-12-14 02:40 ]

RB

IMHO the "Trinidad Sour" is the best new drink I made this year. Just stock up on your bitters...it goes fast in these drinks! :drink:

Our family tradition for a holiday drink:

1 part Grenadine
2 parts Canadian Whiskey
3 parts fresh Grapefruit Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass

The fresh grapefruit makes all the difference.
Not very Tiki, but festive and easy drinking.
Enjoy

S

On 2010-12-14 06:38, Rum Balls wrote:
IMHO the "Trinidad Sour" is the best new drink I made this year. Just stock up on your bitters...it goes fast in these drinks! :drink:

I had one of these at the start of the year but haven't had one since as I didn't know the recipe.

A new bar opened up in January with a couple of bartenders I knew from other venues who were running the place. The place was dead quiet except for myself and only a few other customers. One guy had the head bartender make that drink and mentioned how he loved ordering it as it confused the bartenders as to how much to charge for the drink as it has so little actual alcohol in it. Hearing a drink recipe with that much bitters in it was a shock to me and my bartender friends, but after being able to taste it, I couldn't believe how well it worked. I'm going to have to buy some Rye and another bottle of bitters so I can make one for myself now. Also i'll be interested to try that Mai Tai version as well.

On 2010-12-14 06:38, Rum Balls wrote:

First we have no Angostura bitters for the better part of a year and now we're supposed to be hosing the stuff in cocktails?

Holiday Orange Punch (my personal christmas creation)

Fill a 200 ml cup with:

1 cl honey mix
1 cl cinnamon syrup
1 cl allspice syrup
1 cl Licor 43
3-4 cl El Dorado 8 year or simmilar demerara rum
Add 2 dashes of chocolate mole bitters
Top with HOT orange juice (the fresher the better - use a cheap product and suffer the consequences)

Pages: 1 13 replies