Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My 2nd carve and a new toy. Updated and finished

Pages: 1 17 replies

I recently started carving on the 2nd of my three logs I have and am just now getting pictures up.
4wdtiki was right and I think I got spoiled with my first log. This one has been a pain from the get go. I was trying to remove the husk with my electric planer it was clogging and really taking a long time. I needed something different so I started looking for a draw knife on ebay. I found one for $7. It was neglected and rusty when it arrived. I took a file and some elbow grease to it and used the scary sharp method and now it will cut paper. With it I skinned the log in about 25 min. It was like a hot knife through warm butter. Amazing tool.

I'm digging the scary sharp sharpening method, if you cant afford expensive sharpening stones I highly recommend doing some research on the technique. The name is very appropriate. After the final step I was wiping the blade off with a wadded up rag and it cut through several layers of fabric straight into my thumb. It just goes to show you're never too old to relearn lessons in common sense.

I decided to flip this one upside down. I started carving into it and it was super fibrous. Almost falling is some places deep in the log. Especially towards the bottom. Best way I could describe it would be if a mushroom and a broom got together and had a tree. It was cracking badly as it dried out. I thought about abandoning the log and starting another but I decided to simplify my design and trudge on. In the end I cut a bunch of material off the bottom before I got started.

I promised this carving to a good friend after a few bottles of wine.

I had to alter the design a bit due to big chunks getting ripped off do to the texture of the log.

And here is where I'm at as of now. Its pretty rough and its going to be rustic looking when finished. You can see some of the cracking. The one on the bottom lip wasnt there when I roughed it out. Considering how crappy the wood it I'm happy with it.

Thats it for now. I'm going to bed. Thanks for looking.

[ Edited by: SDshirtman 2009-12-11 14:29 ]

Your threads are great to follow. Nice Job

Man, I love the facial expression on that tiki. It is infectuous with its good humor. I can't wait to see it finished.

Aloha!

Marcus

L
laojia posted on Sat, Dec 5, 2009 9:18 AM

Bravo! The second does not demerit the first even with such bad cracks... You're on the Way SD! Can't wait to see him finished!
J.

M

you have excellent vision, technique and quality. BRAVO! These are way advanced for your time behind the log! And your style is distinct.

B

SDShirtman, Gotta watch those sharp surfaces, they sneak up on 'ya. The carving is Exxcellent and every one is getting better and better. Keep up the learning curve, Nice stuff.

K
Kino posted on Fri, Dec 11, 2009 10:45 AM

Nice looking second SD. Is that log wet ? I had the same problemo with a real wet sukka, but my cracks kept contained to add more character to my piece.

I will be getting a draw knife also, but I'm curious to know
what this ' scary sharp method ' is ?

Again thanks for all the encouragement from everyone.

Kino- Yes the log was pretty wet. Like a broom crossed with mushroom.

Also - The scary sharp method basically uses sandpaper glued to a large piece of flat plate glass in place of sharpening stones. In conjunction with a cheap clamp on honing guide you start out using course 120 then 220 to shape and flatten Then: 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500 wetsand grits. You can finish with a leather strop. Its a reasonably cheap way to an extremely sharp edge on a cutting tool. If you search around the net there are lots of guides, some longer then others.

Here is a link to one of them that explains it in detail. http://primeshop.com/access/woodwork/scarysharp/

If you try it post your results.

Here is my second tiki finished. This was my first experience burning one and it was pretty fun. I wanted to see how quickly I could do this one and still come up with something cool. I didnt even really sand him that much except for some 80 grit after the burn to highlight him.

After some work with the torch. I almost think I should have left him this way. Maybe on a future carve.
In case anyone is wondering his special purpose was added last minute by request of the future owner.
I sacrificed the end of one of my brooms for it.

His body is a little off center but that was so I could utilize the crack that runs through his chest to my advantage.

I'm going to be pretty tied up for the next month so I dont see another one being started for a while but I have a prime log waiting in the backyard.
This wont be my last.

[ Edited by: SDshirtman 2010-02-25 13:26 ]

You really turned a crappy log into a great lookin' tiki!
That stain really makes all the difference, is it Golden Oak?
Great Steve Martin reference. :wink:

Great way to show a crap log who's boss! I like the cracks, and he turned out great.

shirtman!! luvin this last carve very nice and i love the style!!!! cheerz brah!!

Very nice, You are a natural.

On 2009-12-11 16:29, 4WDtiki wrote:
You really turned a crappy log into a great lookin' tiki!
That stain really makes all the difference, is it Golden Oak?
Great Steve Martin reference. :wink:

It is indeed!

C

New Tiki carver here... Suffering from post carving cracking, sealed and unsealed. On one, I cut in a groove at the top and bottom and bound with bailing wire and covered with hemp rope. This seems to have arrested the cracking and it is sitting pretty indoors as a gift to a friend. The cracks, now stopped, create an authentic look.

I was wondering, I have a metal strapping gizmo at work, has anybody tried that? Also, I heard of PEG. Sounds potentially harmful to the environ... is there anything else they can be soaked in? Some type of oil perhaps?

Tiki tanks? Hm... tiki hot tubs...

Aloha

E2

super boulo !!!!

T

I wonder if the tiki would look better missing a tooth??

MAYbe

teaKEY-That pics funny. I actually had that vision flash through my head a few times. Reminds me of Alfred E. Newman.

On another note I delivered him to his new owner last night. He was met with less a than happy reaction and glares from the new owners wife. Seems she was not happy at all with the phallic addition that her husband insisted I add. It was stark contrast from her pre-dork reaction a week ago of "Oh how cool" when she saw my progress. I'm curious to see where the final placement in his new home will be. He told me it would have "A prominent position in my back yard" but now I'm thinking he's going to get stuck on the side of his yard next to a bush by the fenceline or something of that nature.
I think he's in trouble with the Mrs. now.

Kinda bummed me out a bit but at the same time it was kinda funny. Oh well.

Pages: 1 17 replies