Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Eight Foot Rattan Tiki Bar In A Bathroom

Pages: 1 23 replies

I posted this 3 years ago

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22173&forum=5&hilite=rattan%20bar

A friend from San Diego came up and got the Witco map but no one pm'd about the bar. A few days later I was looking at our master bath for a future remodel and realized that the vanity was 8' long.....I went back to the thrift and the bar was still there. The stools did not match (Spanish wrought iron) so I left them there. The bar sat in the garage for 2 1/2 years until we were ready for the remodel...
Front & Back of the bar

The plan...cut the bottom 3 horizontal bands and move back for a kickspace, remove top (to be re-used in a future project), cut in drawers & doors

The offending tract house vanity with gold flecked cultured marble top

A little color on the walls & floor

The "bar" in place

We did not want hardware to take away from the look so touch glide rails were installed so the drawers open with and close with a gentle push. Hope you like it.

OoooOOooooh! :o

Of course I like it!

Well done as usual Bongofury and Mrs. Fury.

That looks awesome! Nice work. That took some real ingenuity to re-purpose that into a functional vanity.

Just curious. Have you seen these taps?:

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=bamboo%20faucet&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

[ Edited by: slacks ferret 2009-12-19 14:27 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Dec 19, 2009 9:40 AM

Great job. GROG like.

Wow! Ingenious use of that bar Ron!
Made that room look so much better.
Congrats!

J

Wow! :o That is amazing! Beautiful job!

Thank you everyone...Slacks, we used one of those in another bathroom

Decided on the standard faucets to match the one in the shower, hard to see, but the handles are the same

Very nice... so what kind of rum pours outta those faucets?!

Ron, you are so awesome. That's quite a nice and professional job!

BAD ASS!!!!!!!!

Nicely done

Bloody gorgeous. Great use of that bar.

T

Wow, I've seen it and I didn't even realize what you did. I thoght you just put the fascade on the old cabinets. Bongofury hits another one outta the park here!

I like it!!! Just one question...why didn't you use bamboo flooring? The wood looks great, but I am interested in putting bamboo flooring in my bathroom and was wondering if maybe you knew it was a bad idea or something. I'd love to tikify my bath, but I am really attached to my Miller Studios plaster fish collection, so I'm trying to figure out how to combine the 2 without looking like Spongebob is hiding nearby!

Awesome bathroom! I love the lack of hardware on the doors and drawers! Keeps it sleek and uncluttered (says Tacky who lives in a house full of vintage kitsch clutter!)

:drink:
Tacky

You can get some of your questions regarding bamboo flooring in wet locations here

http://www.zhubamboo.com.au/faq.html

Bamboo is more resistant to moisture than wood but still not "waterproof". This bathroom is right over our kitchen and I don't want to replace the floors in the near future. A waterproof alternative would be to use the Allure vinyl flooring

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31127&forum=1&hilite=allure%20flooring

it is available in 2 shades of bamboo. We used their Teak flooring as Mrs. Fury wanted a darker contrast from the cabinet. Her collection of fish is in the bath with the bamboo faucet

Good luck with your project and please post photos of it

Not to poach on your thread Ron....
The standard look bamboo flooring is REALLY soft..... I had purchased a few boxes of it for my remodel... and had read MANY bad comments about its durability online. So I decided to test it the Monkeyman way and I dropped my car keys on it from about 2 feet up. They dented the crap out of that standard bamboo flooring.

In the end I decided to go with the strand woven bamboo which unfortunately doesnt look like bamboo as much.. but the durability is like 10x better than your normal plank style bamboo flooring.

OMG...that is just beautiful. What a great carpentry job you did, and I like that you did not use hardware, it keeps the lines really clean. Fish look fabulous!!!

P

Freaking genius.
What a craftsman.

G

Beautiful work and very inspiring. I do wish I had your building skills!

Five star Ron.The vintage rattan just has a great look about it .
Did you do anything to the patina , stain or varnish ?

B

Thanks again everyone. I went over the original finish with Minwax Honey Pine stain/sealer leaving in the discoloration of the rusted nails on the right side as found. The minwax seems to be the best color to the original. On my outside barstools I use it every couple of years after sun & rain exposure to bring them back to life as seen in the before & after here:

When I first saw the title to this thread I have to admit my first thought was "Oh, that will be an intimate drinking environment" :lol:

Beautiful work Bongo, that's thinking "outside the box"

great job Ron, wow, looks great!

Amy

A

Nice conversion Ron - now you can serve drinks in the bathroom (j/k)!

Just a quick comment since flooring came up here, in case it's of interest to anyone. We did some remodel stuff last year, and decided on natural rock pebbles for a bathroom floor. Here's a link with the product. We used the sliced pebbles, but the lava pebbles were pretty cool too, especially the kind of thing that might work with a TCer kind of style. They come in sheets with irregular edges that fit together like a puzzle, so the overall mosaic effect doesn't have a visible repeating pattern (plus the stones are naturally irregular anyway).

-Randy

Great project and outcome!

Amy

Pages: 1 23 replies