Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Relight The Night Thanks to everyone! It was a blast!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 226 replies

More pics please.

I was stuck at a table back in the corner for most the night.

Jeff(btd)

MH

Hey ya'll

looks like a fab night. So, to you Tusconites, Velvet Glass, and the quiet village podcast, I thought I'd share that you inspired a new exotica tune that we'll debut this Sat in Boston called Moai Thief. I enjoyed hearing so much about Tuscon being from Phoenix myself....and the theft of the tiki from the Kon Tiki for some reason gave me an idea...aided a little by ideas from shostakovich as well (those russians...).

Can we get a relight the South Pacific in Newton. Takers NE Tikiphiles?

mr. ho

Just found this amazing photo on Face book!:

Man, that is like a PAINTING! --"The Tribe"-- ...the Tiki Revival personified!

I don't know for which yet, but I MUST use this in one of my upcoming projects, (whatever resolution), please...
It also reminds me of this altered missionary tract rendering that Jody Daily did for me for Tiki Modern :) :

CJ

this makes me happy-same tiki at the meet rack

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2010-04-13 01:00 ]

wow...long drive, thank goodness there was a tiki bar at the end of our destination! While not partying, Tiki G and I did some major junkin. Check out our haul!

the peacock chair was the largest acquisition...

can you dig the dogs on velvet??

What a blast and a half!

A Million Thank yous to Mark and Maggie for treating Doug and I like family! And marco and all the crew at the Kon-Tiki for their warmth and enthusiasm. And all the peeps that showed up and made this a night to remember!
now if i could only remember it...

T

My Tucson mini-vacation was a success!! The Kon-Tiki "Relight the Night" kicked ass!!

Thanks to the Kon Tiki management and staff for hosting, Mark and Maggie for your generous hospitality, the Tikiyaki Orchestra for 1st class entertainment and music while dining, all the vendors & all the participants.

Some random pics taken while on the road:

Friday 04/09/10: TikiG sets foot on a legendary desert oasis for the first time

Friday 04/09/10: Melekilikimaka and TikiG share a Scorpion Bowl at the Kon Tiki

Friday 04/09/10: Clowning around with Kinney, Doug and Ravenne at the pre-party

Saturday 04/10/10: Mel and friend do a little shopping'

Saturday 04/10/10: Checking' out the mineral psudomorphs at the Sonoran Desert Museum

Saturday 04/10/10: Attempting the Tucson sonoran style hot-dog battle

Saturday 04/10/10: El Guero Canelo v.s.

Saturday 04/10/10: BK

Saturday 04/10/10: TikiG stands next to the famous Tiki Motel sign

Saturday 04/10/10: Mel in front of the Hut's moai head

Saturday 04/10/10: Jim of the Tikiyaki Orchestra leads the band into jungle exotica

Saturday 04/10/10: Fire dancers awaken Pele

Saturday 04/10/10: The lighting of the Kon Tiki torches

Saturday 04/10/10: Kon Tiki sign is lit!!

Monday 04/12/10: The Kon Tiki - Tucson, Arizona

Monday 04/12/10: The beautiful view driving back to So. Cal.

Thanks for the Pics everybody,
In my haste packing at 2 am in the morning before going to sleep for a few hours, before the trip, I forgot to pack my camera, and my sunglasses.
Doh....

keep the pics, and hopefully video coming.

Jeff(btd)

Started our road trip watching the sun rise from the Cabazon Dinosaurs

Beautiful sunrise through Palm Springs area

Saw this guy on in the middle of the desert

Finally made it to the promised land

For dinner, I had seafood in the middle of the desert

The Tikiyaki Orchestra performance was stellar as always!

Good Friends... Good Times...

The following day we went to Taliesen West by Frank Lloyd Wright

Followed by a walk around Old Town Scottsdale

And the glorious Hotel Valley Ho

Capped off the weekend with Happy Hour at Trader Vic's

The Relight the Night event was EPIC and the Kon-Tiki was incredible!

@ PollyPop, NO SLEEP TIL TUCSON!! Man you guys are hardcore! Let me guess, you made it home Monday morning just in time to go to work.

Kon Tiki Mai-Tais must bring out the love in me. I lost count of how many people I said "I love you man" to.

Re-Light the Night, Kon Tiki Tucson!

Crazy Al, the calm before the storm...

The Swank Bastards take the stage.

The Swank Bastards and Szandora.

Al and Maggie love it!!!

Tikiyaki take the stage.

Focus Jim, focus...

A bunch of hillbilly's I ran into at the show.

No pictures please...

One of many tikis in Mark and Maggie's back yard.

Thank you Kon Tiki and Mark and Maggie for putting on such an awesome event!

Great Pictures everyone - I am very jealous!

Awesome Pics!!!

( lot's o Orbs.... spooky!!!)

On 2010-04-13 21:01, RevBambooBen wrote:
Awesome Pics!!!

( lot's o Orbs.... spooky!!!)

SoccerTiki actually had an encounter with "The Ghost"

J

On 2010-04-12 17:41, Beach Bum Scott wrote:
Got a personal tour of the Meet Rack and saw a Tiki there!!!!

BBS, please elaborate on the Meet Rack. My intel informs me this is an S&M themed dive bar.

Was TC hanging out there ?? Man, there's a lot of cool stuff in Tucson.

Great pics, thanks Doug and Poly Pop.

Jeff(btd)

T

Wow! What a great event! Or, at least I think it was... I found a bunch of pix on my camera that I only vaguely remember taking...

We started out our trip on Friday, stopping in Scottsdale to visit Drift Lounge...

... and then Trader Vic's.

The next morning, we headed out to Tucson, but stopped in at the Fry's Electronics, because it's so cool, and when are we going to be in Scottsdale again?

Snapped a couple of pix of Kon TIki before the crowd descended, as we roamed the restaurant in awe of its magnificence!

Then, got some pix of the evening's events... (this is the part that's as blurry in my mind as these next two pix...)

The relight sign pix...

And caught this shady character lurking about in a restricted area...

After it was all done, due to vending and other circumstances, I realized I spent probably less than 20 minutes inside the Kon Tiki the whole night...

Mark and I would like to thank everyone for coming out and making Relight the Night an amazing event! There was a lot of fire but everyone was really basking in the glow of the love.

We are truly grateful to the orchestration of the Tikiyakis, thee swank of the Bastards, the shrimps of the Chaperone, the flam of the Chen and the dis of the Illusionists.

http://www.velvetglass.com

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2010-04-13 22:43 ]

On 2010-04-13 22:10, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2010-04-12 17:41, Beach Bum Scott wrote:
Got a personal tour of the Meet Rack and saw a Tiki there!!!!

BBS, please elaborate on the Meet Rack. My intel informs me this is an S&M themed dive bar.

Was TC hanging out there ?? Man, there's a lot of cool stuff in Tucson.

Soccertiki and I stopped by this bar on Saturday afternoon too. What a Crazy place!!! We will post pics soon!!! And yes..the Tiki, that had been stolen as a fraternity pranks years ago, and placed at The Meet Rack, was returned the night of the event :)

On 2010-04-14 00:22, WooHooWahine wrote:
And yes..the Tiki, was returned the night of the event :)

that is great news.

Jeff(btd)

OK I wasn't there but I love it when a shot comes together - this is rare:
From Cheeky half post - Dr. Frankentiki takes pic of his bride and sabu (NOTE FLASH or a frame in time):

Then he emails the pic to me while I sit saddened far away....

Anyway looks like you all had a goods time -

You shoulda been there Jack!

Man, looks like it was a blast and then some. Great pics.

Holy moly that was a fun night! I forgot I brought my camera along until most of the night was over, so all I got were pictures of Thee Swank Bastards and Tikiyaki's second set. And since I was a little blurry, of course a lot of the shots came out a little blurry too. Since I'm picky with the pics, here's my favorites from the night:

The newly lit torches in all their glory

The torches with Szandora in all her glory

A fine group of folks enjoying the lush sounds of The Tikiyaki Orchestra

I have no idea who she was, but I know she had fun getting attacked by a Squid. I sure did.

Ah, that's Christi, my bestest girlfriend.

Christi ROCKS!
HER AND MAGGIE HAVE GOT TO BE THE COOLEST LADIES IN ARIZONA!

You are too sweet LLT!

Z

So finally got my pics up on line.
There's a bit over 60 shots.
You can see them here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40438868@N00/sets/72157623719392137/
Thought about putting a slideshow on youtube but the soundtrack would be problematical.

On 2010-04-17 23:30, zond2 wrote:
So finally got my pics up on line.
There's a bit over 60 shots.
You can see them here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40438868@N00/sets/72157623719392137/
Thought about putting a slideshow on youtube but the soundtrack would be problematical.

Wow! Lots of great shots. Thanks for sharing.

This is one of my favorites:

Some great shots Zond2! Thanks for posting.

Z
zond2 posted on Sun, Apr 18, 2010 9:27 AM

Thanks!
Feel free to leave comments and identify folks you recognize in the pics
I put together a slide show, set to music of the photos, it's 64MB (mpeg1) in size so if you're interested PM me and I'll send you a link to download it from.

Soccertiki and I stopped by this bar on Saturday afternoon too. What a Crazy place!!! We will post pics soon!!! And yes..the Tiki,  that had been stolen as a fraternity pranks years ago, and placed at The Meet Rack, was returned the night of the event :)  

I've been to the Meet Rack several times over the years on my trips for Spring Training -- sadly, this was the last year for Major League Baseball teams training in Tucson. (You can see my profile of the Meet Rack here.) During my last visit in late March I chatted with Jim (AKA "God") about the provenance of that tiki and the Kon Tiki, and he didn't mention anything about it being repatriated, so I'm guessing that was a fairly last minute agreement?

What a great event, wish I could have been there.

Details are sketchy, but we think that the interview we gave to the AZ Daily Star mentioning the history of the tiki, combined with a little phone call placed by Max Cannon may have persuaded God to 'do the right thing'.
We plan on making a commemorative plaque which will hang next to the tiki, when we figure out just where to hang the tiki.
A Big ole Thanks to Jim and the Meet Rack!

T

Did anyone snag any of the plastic "Relight the Night"
cups that they wouldn't mind parting with? I know most people would toss these out but I collect them. Mark said they went pretty quick that night. I didn't make it and would love to get 1 or 2 if possible. If so please PM me.

T

WooHooWahine and her husband sent me a "Relight the Night" cup and a really cool one from her birthday party as well. They did this for me without wanting anything in return. I have never met or spoke to either one of them before this. It was a very generous, selfless and thoughtful thing to do for a complete stranger. I hope to meet them and thank them in person some day. :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 226 replies