Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Houston Mod's available mod properties list updated

Pages: 1 2 replies

T
txmod posted on Sat, Dec 26, 2009 1:14 PM

As a courtesy to mid-century modern enthusiasts, preservation group Houston Mod works with local Realtors to compile a list of available mid-century modern properties for sale. Some need restoration, some need "undoing" and some have their vintage swank details intact. The current list ranges from $74,900 to $4,000,000. Almost every part of town with mods is represented, from out in Champions, to Sharpstown, Westbury, Meyerland, Glenbrook Valley, Memorial Bend, Memorial Villages & River Oaks.

http://www.houstonmod.org/for_sale.asp

This list is very cool. I could sell my modest tract house in So Cal and buy 2 or 3 MCM homes there. Then after reading a little, a few things popped out to me; one listing said, "Never been flooded" said like that was a bonus?!? $300,000 can cost you between $7,000 and $10,000 a year in property taxes...most had deed restrictions and HOA fees as well...August, the temp is 94 and the humidity is too! Maybe the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Bet they have some killer estate sales.

T

Property taxes are high in Texas, no doubt. But there is no state income tax, so that balances out part of it, especially if you are bankin' a high dollar salary.

There is something called a homestead exemption that you can get on your primary residence that knocks off roughly 20% of the taxes too.

As for the flooding thing, depends on where it is. If it is in an area where part of the subdivision might have flooded, then they may want to clarify that the particular house was not in the section that took water. When we had tropical storm Allison a few years back you had 40 and 50 year old buildings that had never had a drop in them suddenly flood. It was the 500 year event. Whole freeways had semi's under water. A lot of houses in Meyerland got hit. Since then they are doing some flood control work on the main bayou that runs through there but I can see an agent listing that if it is in there.

Humidity is here in a heavy dose, and the weather doesn't even begin to compare to southern California, then again, what does? I will take it over the cold northern states though, at least you don't have to shovel humidity.

[ Edited by: txmod 2009-12-28 11:48 ]

[ Edited by: txmod 2009-12-28 11:49 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies