Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Decorative Tape

Pages: 1 9 replies

A8

My cousin gave me some Tiki tape for Christmas so I thought I'd share with the group.

hey, pretty cool......any idea where it's from??

Oh how sweet, Tiki newbies meet! :)

That stuff has been on the market for about 5 years now, and is one of the last examples of 21st Century Tiki kitsch still out there, offered by those trusty purveyors of the Tiki revival, the Seattle hipsters from accoutrements.com, god bless their ironic spirit:

http://www.accoutrements.com/tape.html

The other classic they still offer is their Tiki pencil toppers, the designs of which have all but one been taken from The Book of Tiki:

http://www.accoutrements.com/products/11459.html

Their commitment to cheap Asian manufactured product has unfortunately resulted in Tiki mug sets that are just too awful to recommend here, but in general they have great stuff! :)

On 2009-12-29 19:34, bigbrotiki wrote:
Oh how sweet, Tiki newbies meet! :)

That stuff has been on the market for about 5 years now, and is one of the last examples of 21st Century Tiki kitsch.

I sure hope that isn't one of the last examples of the 21st century Tiki kitsch. We have another 90 years to bring out more kitsch. :D

W

"My cousin gave me some Tiki tape for Christmas so I thought I'd share with the group." -Agent 86-

While the tape is well known to many of us the important point here is that Agent 86 has apparently successfully trained a family member to give decent Tiki gifts.

AND...that indeed is an accomplishment. No Tiki goodies for me from family. All my 90 year old Mom can do is tell me how ugly it is and that she likes some of my other collections more. I gotta get her liquored up more often...she does like going to Tiki Oasis though. I would be blown away if I got that tape from anyone in my family...good item to use for blocking off the crime scene when ya find a dead Tiki.

The reason this tape is so cool, is that it borrows one of the greatest copyright-free (I think) images from the 1960s.

This tiki appeared on generic luau napkins and placemats from the 60s:

It was also borrowed by the Hanalei Hotel in San Diego as its logo tiki on menus and postcards:

And used by other tiki joints like the Tropic Lounge & Restaurant, Lancaster Ohio:

But where did this tiki originally come from?

It might have morphed from this older Matson Line logo:

If that's the case, then it would be Maori in origin.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 21, 2010 6:58 PM

Stuttgart tiki

Made in Germany

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/my/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=358&ind_mug_id=23947
Description from ooga-mooga:

This angular tiki has a lined forehead, lined cheeks, lined chin, clasped hands, and vertical lines around the body. Tan with a white interior, marked "Made in Germany". A slightly smaller version comes in brown.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 21, 2010 7:01 PM

On 2008-08-04 08:20, Zeta wrote:

On 2008-08-04 06:52, Tikinomad wrote:
Hey Zeta, I think that style mug was used at the Movenpick in Switzerland?
Nice score, I have two different versions of the mug....one of my favorite designs.

Thanks Tikinomad,
What else do you know about the Movenpick in Switzerland ?
How much you paid for yours?
It seems like Accoutrements got "inspired" by this Mug to produce this tiki-tape I bought in the U.S.

Z

Ha! I had this mug for over ten years, and didn't see that! I just laughed about it as being so stiff and German. And now it's from a Poly pop rendering! Good pick, Mr. Z

Pages: 1 9 replies