Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Nutty Mads

Pages: 1 23 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jan 4, 2010 9:48 AM

I collect them and I found no post about them in TC so... I specially like the Mexican repros. made by PlastiMarx. I'll upload some pictures of my collection latter... Meanwhile,please post yours! Share your stories about them!
Who really made de original scupltures? Did they came in some kind of bag or plastic blister?

Nutty Mads
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Donald the Demon

Nutty Mads were popular monochromatic, injection-molded polymer plastic toy figures originally manufactured in 1963-1964 by the Marx Toy Company. Comically grotesque and minutely detailed, the series was likely inspired by the stylized Kustom Kulture art of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth (whose bizarre Rat Fink character was being licensed by Revell for hot rod model kits at the time), and the vivid comic graphics of cartoonist Basil Wolverton. The figures were reportedly based on original designs created by veteran Mad Magazine cartoonist Jack Davis.

Approximately 6 inches tall, the figures originally sold in five and dime stores like Woolworth's for 15 cents apiece. Each figure was available in a variety of different colors; the value and collectibility of these vintage toys is determined by the scarcity of the figure and color, as well as the overall condition. (The third series is the hardest to find, and usually the most expensive.) Their popularity spawned many copycats, including Weird-Ohs, Blame-Its and Nutty Generals, (all of which were also produced by Marx.) Marx manufactured other toys based on the Nutty Mad characters as well, including battery-operated tin toys, wind-up toys, water pistols, a tabletop pinball game, and even a bagatelle-style target game.

In the 1980s, a company in Mexico began producing copies from the original molds. These are usually (but not always) a cream color, do not carry the Marx copyright on the bottom, and are worth considerably less than the originals.

A cool article with more info about them: http://cravenlovelace.com/cravenblog/2008/08/nutty-mad-men/

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jan 4, 2010 5:39 PM

End Zone (from series # 2)

The number on the shirt is highlighted with some foamy material
Bought in Mercado Cuahutemoc for 80 pesos.

Hecho en Mexico

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Jan 16, 2010 10:30 AM

The thinker

Made in Mexico

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 21, 2010 3:45 AM

One of the three figures I still haven't found for my nutty mads collection.

Gutterball Annie (Bowler)

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Jan 23, 2010 8:34 PM

All-Heart Hogan (Cop)

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 11:25 AM

Does anybody like them?

From series 1

Donald the Demon (Commuter)

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Mar 12, 2010 10:08 AM

Are the Nutty Mads too common in the U.S. or what? I think they are pretty cool. Why is nobody interested like moi?

I deserve the Pulitzer for this picture!

A

Hey Zeta,
I dig em, and thanks for posting the info and pics. I've liked that genre since I was a kid, but actually it's a pretty big can of worms to open on TC. So at least speaking personally that's why I didn't respond before, even though I enjoyed the info!

I think I'd heard about Nutty Mads a little bit here and there, but was never as conscious of them as the whole Weird-Ohs and Silly Surfers series. Those are so well-known because of the tie-in records with Gary Usher music and all that. I'm sure you know about those, but here's a couple images just for general purposes.

Never heard the claim before that Weird-Ohs were copycats of the Nutty Mads. I would've guessed the other way around. But those LPs are from 64 I think, and also back then, everybody was "borrowing" ideas pretty freely. Like the story that Ed Roth's Rat Fink is actually borrowed (adapted?) from Stanley Mouse's original character drawings.

Don't mean to sidetrack the thread by talking about the Weird-Ohs. But in case it's of interest, Bill Campbell was the illustrator for that series, and Illustration magazine did a nice story on him with a bunch of images, in their issue #12.

-Randy

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Mar 14, 2010 1:38 PM

Gracias Aquarj! Why is talking about the Nutty mads a big can of worms here at TC? I don't get it... Sure, they are not Ed "Big daddy" Roth, but they are cool anyway, someone please explain! Why this is tabu?
That article from Illustration Magazine is great! Weird-Ohs are awesome too, here's a thread about them: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22433&forum=6&hilite=weird%20ohs

A

Wow, that's embarrassing!

I had no recollection that I made almost the identical post earlier on a different thread! Sorry if I sound like a broken record.

Not saying it's taboo, just a big genre that has a lot of fans. Nothing wrong with talking about things like that here, especially in Beyond Tiki. I just kinda meant that I'd normally look in other places for that topic. But by all means, please feel free to post more on the subject! I guarantee that there are people here who have the same crossover in their interests!

-Randy

Hi Zeta,

I'm certainly enjoying your Nutty Mad posts. I remember those and similar items from when I was a kid.

I think it's pretty rare to see those items available in the States these days. Your Mexican reproductions must be more recent and therefore much more available.

Keep on posting! I think this subject is perfect for Beyond Tiki and we need more activity in Beyond Tiki anyway.

I know the big green dude is a Nutty Mad, but I'm not sure about the others.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 8:41 AM

aquarj, I don't mind if you did a similar post before, but watch out for the Tiki police!

cloudmonkey, I'm happy you are enjoying it... Sometimes I really feel it's pointless to post stuff like this because of the lack of feedback.

Big Kahuna, mahalo for sharing! The big green boxer dude's name is "Rocco the Champ". All of the other figures are not Nutty Mads, but cool nevertheless... I wonder what are those?

Bull Pen Boo Boo

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Apr 18, 2010 5:49 PM

"Chief"
Lost teepee

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, May 13, 2010 9:52 AM

Dippy the deep diver.

Come on guys! I want to write a little article about these plastic monsters! Help me a bit here! Somebody has to know something about them!
Was there any graphic attached to the sculptures? Posters? a logo?
If you have some please show them to me, I want to see different approaches.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2010 2:41 PM

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2010 8:22 AM

Feedback please! I want to write that article!

Hippo Crit

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2010 9:05 AM

Tiki Shout:
little lost tiki: They got a special on NUTTY MADS! BTW i love that thread! I remember them dimly from some friend's older brother's collection! Can't wait to read your eventual article Zeta! 08:53:43

ARE YOU QUOTING ME OUT OF CONTEXT,ZETA?

you will be receiving a call from Leonard Smaltzstein,my Nutty lawyer
sometime in the future....

:lol:

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jun 24, 2010 9:52 PM

Ja ja! Nutty lawyer... cool idea! I guess that was going to be figure #19 but they got sued before they could cast it.

MANNY THE RECKLESS MARINER

C'mon guy (Yes, you) Give me some feedback! ANYTHING!!! I --> NEED

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jul 12, 2010 10:00 PM

In situ

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jul 14, 2010 12:08 PM

Only in Mexico you see images like this one.

The clash of styles and all that.

B
B-Rad posted on Thu, Sep 30, 2010 4:57 PM

As a Nutty mad collector and lost wax carver and silversmith, I have made a ring as an ode to the nutty mad figures.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/57649404/nutty-mad-sterling-silver-ring
I think any vintage toy collectors would appreciate it!

M

These are the ones I found in the attic of a house we just moved into. I know their names because their on the c bottom but can you tell me anything else about them? Thanks :)

Pages: 1 23 replies