Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My first carvings - advise please

Pages: 1 5 replies

L
ljb posted on Mon, Jan 4, 2010 12:01 PM

Here are my first few carvings. The tall one was done with a chain saw and I realized the saw I have is too large for good control. The other smaller one was done with a dremmel. All advise and criticism is welcome because I realize my carvings stink. One thing with the small one I notice is the lack of contrast - possibly I need to paint or burn the cut?

TIA

T

Can't see the tall one too well, but the small one looks fine. Time to stain and finish it! Welcome to TC.

ljb!! welcome to tc!! im w big t. tall one is a bit far but looks good nun the less and the seacond short one is very cool!! good clean cuts even on the curvy stuff nice design i even like the descison to leave the bark!! and i def feel it would benifit from sum contrast!! and ur right burning the cuts w a plumming torch works great! and dont worry if it wont all burn. u can go back w thined flat black enamel paint or dark ebony stain either applied w a small brush if you want! then carefully apply some spar urethane for outside use or regular polyurethane for covered or indoor use!! and he will take on a whole new look!!!! good luck and stop by my thread and drop a line or ques anytime!! cheerz!!!

L
ljb posted on Tue, Jan 5, 2010 5:37 AM

So do I want the cutout portions to be darker than the bark? I was afraid if I tried to stain it or burn it that it may make things worse. Do I want to make the cuts almost black for good contrast?

I left the bark on because I just don't have the proper tools to remove it. However, I'm starting a 5 foot tall one and will be borrowing a large belt sander from work to remove the outer bark. I think it will make carving easier.

ljb!! yeah thats the way i usually do it. but maybe w the bark on the reverse contrast wld look good i would try some thane on the back side just a small spot and see how dark it gets. if the bark gets pretty dark then keep the cuts light. and unless u use realy heavy grit belts like 50 or below it will take some time to strip sumthin w a thin bark like coconut or queen palm but if its sabal or washington palms it will not work u wld be better of usin a chainsaw! wich i have dun. i use agrinder w a lancelot blade then a portable hand planer or a block plane or belt sander will then also work. as sd shirtman has shown us a realy sharp draw knife also works very damn well!! if u look through my thread u can see what burning and blackining can do. however is by far not always needed or prefered its about what looks good too u!! cheerz!!!

Coat it in Poly and then start a new one!

Pages: 1 5 replies