Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mug trade at the Oasis, anyone?

Pages: 1 41 replies

DZ

During my collecting, I've managed to acquire quite a few duplicate mugs. As space in The Castaway Lounge is limited, I prefer to simply have one of any particular mug/glass. I'm looking to replace these dupes with 'new stock', so I'm going to just bring them to the Oasis and see if anyone wants to trade.

Maybe set up a table poolside, maybe just in my room - whatever.

Anyone interested?

(I saw someone make a similar suggestion for the Hukilau, but I'm NOT taking a suitcase full of mugs with me when I go! I may bring one home, however...)

S

Well Z, you have to bring a little something to trade to Hukilau. What's one or two mugs and a swizzle or 5?

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: swanky on 2003-04-26 12:44 ]

Hmmm.... I don't have much in dups for trade, but I'll bring a few things!

:tiki:

Doc Z,
I'll bring a couple of things to Oasis with me as well. I won't be making it to Hukilau so this is a good opportunity for me.

HH

I won't be making it to Hukilau
...you mean there's actually a event your not going too!!! :o

S

Pop,
you're on the mailing list, you have to come to Hukilau!

Swanky, I REALLY want to go to Hukilau but I'm kind of strapped for $$$ right now because of all the events this year.

Keep me on the mailing list. If I'm fortunate enough to work something out, I'll definitely fly out there. I've been wanting to meet you and Kiliki and all the other good folks of TC in that part of the the country.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-04-27 09:06 ]

[ Edited by: polynesianpop on 2003-04-27 09:28 ]

M

Let me ask you good people something: For those going to the Oasis- What do you think about setting up "The Oasis Antique Mall". I was thinking that everyone who has some duplicates (or anything) to sell could put a price tag on their mugs and what not and bring them all to a central place (like a room or poolside) and sell them in one place. We could assign seller ID #s to put on them, so the money can be distributed back at the end of the sale, sellers would price each item (reasonably, one would hope) and you could even do the standard 10% haggle discount. So maybe on Saturday afternoon for a few hours, you could browse the "mall" for deals. Only this mall would have no german steins, ugly pottery, farm tools, or beanie babies!

Or is this too crass and do people just want to stick with trades?

just my deux centimes,

-martin

Martiki~

That would be a good idea, but then you would have to assign someone to have stickers for the right seller, collect the money, etc... I've done quite a few conventions, both in convention areas and "room hopping shopping". Here is how the Room Hopping Shopping works:

1. You must have a room (at the Tropics).
  2. In your room as the seller, you designate an area of your hotel room as your selling center, usually the table or dresser in your room.
  3. How do people know you're open for business in your room? You keep your door open. Closed for business? Close your door. Everyone takes care of their own cash transactions, trades, and security of their own items and no one else is to blame for lost/stolen items. This also gives you a chance to meet everyone and personally say "hi".
  4. As an additional indicator for "open for business", you can have all traders/sellers that are setup in a room with a fluorescent 8-1/2 x 11 sheet that says "Sell & Trade" on their door or window.
  5. Don't have a room at The Tropics but have stuff for sale or trade? Most everyone knows SOMEONE that will have a room there, so you can setup with him/her temporarily to do a little biz.

It's weird, at first, to "just walk into someone's room", but you get the hang of it after awhile, and the "Sell & Trade" signs sometimes make it easier for those that are a little intimidated. Some hotels just don't work right for this type of trading, but The Tropics has such an easy floorplan layout, that it really does make it ideal for room hopping.

I've done room hopping shopping for years at various toy & antique shows. It's fun and easy.

Just my 2 coconuts worth,

scd

I'll Put In On My Schedule!

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-04-28 17:30 ]

Hey that's a good idea SCD! Does it happen at a designated time or is it something that's just ongoing throughout the day? I have some stuff I'd like to sell/trade as well but I'm not staying over. I'll probably have to buddy-up with a fellow TC'er.

PolynesianPop wrote:
Hey that's a good idea SCD! Does it happen at a designated time or is it something that's just ongoing throughout the day?

It's easypeasy PolyPoP,
If your door is open, then you're open for business. If your door is closed then you're closed. At the selling conventions I've done, I among many others were doing business at 2a.m.! Just open the door for awhile, chat, have a drink. Close up for awhile, go visit, get something to eat, come back at your convenience, do some more trades, etc., etc....

Sometimes after a few drinks, some potential buyers loosen up and say "ah, what the hell" and buy what you got at the price you're asking. Of course, it can backfire, since if you've got a few in you, you may slash your price lower than you like.

Just have fun with it!

Wheelin'Dealin'CaddyDaddy

Somebody bring me back a Fu Manchu and a Bali Hai please. I want those. I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today.

M

Yo PolyPop,

One to go, and you hit 1k! Let me be the first to congratulate you on your fertile postings. Do let me know when you post the next one...I want to pick up my phone and flush the toilet at that time, someone told me there's a "Post1K" bug. Have to to see if the infrastructure can handle the situation.

Trading mugs at Oasis? Hmmm, maybe....nah!

midnite

S

Sugar Caddy,
I am pretty sure Otto has it on the info that there are to be no vendors out of their rooms at Oasis. But it's sort of what we are planning at Hukilau.

DZ

But if we just trade, we're not vendors then are we...

This is starting to sound like the Napster legal minutia

M

That's a pretty cool idea, SCD. But here's a couple of things:

1. I was thinking that if it was all consolidated in one room, then people can just drop off their stuff to sell and go and enjoy the other activities. Which is what it sounds like PolyPop wants to do. I'll be glad to organize the whole thing, and redistribute the money and unsold stuff to everyone. I was thinking about making it from 2-4 on Sat afternoon or something similar- it should have a start and end time so it doesn't take all day and because I want to get back to drinking. I doubt there's more than a table and a counter worth of things to put up.

2. And I don't know about you, but I want to keep my door closed and the A/C pumping during the day!

3. I'm going to ask Otto how he feels about this to make sure it's OK with him. I don't think it will be an issue with the many fab ventors, since their products are new and these will most likely be vintage- I don't feel like we're getting away without renting vendor space, but they may disagree.

What do people think?

-martin

If there is a concern about infringing on vendor revenue/space rental issues, maybe with some rules to follow, Otto might give us an official Ok for the "room hopping shopping" idea, or the one-room drop off sale. Stuff like:

1. Have a set time period for the sale/swap.
  2. Only allow the sale/swap of vintage/prior owned items
  3. Limit the number of items someone can offer.
  4. Cash or trade transactions only
  5. All have an identical "open for trades" sign for the room window

etc, etc, etc....

Otherwise, I have no problems with secret back alley trading....!

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2003-04-29 10:40 ]

L

Martiki, I think it's great you are willing to be in charge of the mug sale/trade but... What if some drunk person drops one or hits the table/dresser and breaks a few. Personally, I wouldn't want to be babysitting others tiki mugs. Even us TCers have been know to break many a mug, SOBER even. I think SCDs idea prevents any blame because you would be in control of your goods and witness to any accidents. If you don't want to leave the door open, a hanging doorknob sign may be an easy, subtle way to say "open for trade"

M

On 2003-04-29 10:55, laney wrote:
Martiki, I think it's great you are willing to be in charge of the mug sale/trade but... What if some drunk person drops one or hits the table/dresser and breaks a few. Personally, I wouldn't want to be babysitting others tiki mugs. Even us TCers have been know to break many a mug, SOBER even. I think SCDs idea prevents any blame because you would be in control of your goods and witness to any accidents. If you don't want to leave the door open, a hanging doorknob sign may be an easy, subtle way to say "open for trade"

Hi Laney,

Thanks for the input- you raise some very important points. Here's my thoughts:

1. Breakage is certainly an issue, but what do the antique malls do in the same situation? I think the ol' "you break it, you bought it" rule would apply- regardless of who was hosting the products. Having it early in the day will at least minimize some of the drunk factor. Of course, you don't want ugly situations, but the TC peeps are generally pretty cool. I also don't think that the sale will be full of Sufferin' Bastards and Ren Clarks- and if there was anything REALLY valuable, it could be kept out of reach.

2. I still think it would be easier to have one place to visit, doors or not. It is social to see everyone at their rooms, but there's no shortage of social opportunities during the weekend. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not as inclined to walk all over a big hotel looking for signs or open doors. If there was a guide to the room numbers, that would help.

3. The whole issue is really on hold anyway until Otto writes me back with the OK.

-martin

L
laney posted on Tue, Apr 29, 2003 2:30 PM

Here's a (I think) great idea. There will be a TC booth right??? If so or if there is someone willing to host the clipboard then everyone with a trade mug available could list the mug. When you check the list for items you are looking for, find that person and make the deal. Those items are then crossed off the list by both parties. There could even be a time for trade- ex, sign up your goods by 3 PM Sat. Trading til 4 pm. Item exchanges could happen right after between those two people at their rooms. This eliminates leaving your goods or unnessary handling of items. We all have a pretty good idea of the styles of mugs and the mugs we want to get our hands on. If someone wants to see one, just find that person, it will still be in the owners hands. Or there could be a time for meeting and viewing or questions before trading if there are a lot of participants. (I don't think there will be an overwhelming amount of traders) I also think the sign-up method would be the most discrete way of doing this while offering everyone a fair chance to see all the items available.

Ex-

Laney
TV skull mug-marked
SB Sm. Bottle w/box
5 TV coconut mugs

Sugar Caddy Daddy
Kono Hawaii "modern looking" tiki mug-marked
TV seahorse mug-blue
2 PMP mugs

Etc....

Items would be crossed off after trade by both parties and initaled.

I don't know why I'm so interested in this because I don't have any tiki stuff to trade and chances are won't even be there. I just see something bad happening if people leave their mugs in the hands of others-esp. drunk nonTCers "checking things out" Or the person in charge getting screwed.
Good Luck-this could be fun

A

For what it's worth, Martin & Rebecca have carried this kind of thing off quite nicely before, like the auction at their houseparty last year. Also at the TikiCrawl, they definitely proved themselves organizationally adroit with logistical problems of much greater complexity. I wouldn't have any second thoughts at all about putting my surplus junk under their care if they volunteer to manage something like this. Usually the problem is that no one volunteers - in which case something like room-hopping can be fun too, I reckon. But Martin's proposal sounds fun and easy (for everyone but Martin, that is).

Just don't make it only from 1:30-2:30 Sat when I'm DJing!

-Randy

[ Edited by: aquarj on 2003-04-29 14:54 ]

I don't think I can drive to the Oasis after reading all this doom and gloom.
Somebody might crash into me, or a plane could land on my head.
I for one will not buy a mug without seeing it.
I don't know and will never know the names of different mugs.
If I did have a mug to trade and I did not want it to break, A. put it in the window of my room, B. put a picture of it in the window of my room, or C. Let whoever do what ever they want to do with their own mugs.
Can you imagine what would go on if a TC member broke one of the mugs and did not pay for it. The postings would be unbearable.
Having this in one spot seems to make it easier and more family like.
See dick pick up the mug
See dick admire the mug
See dick drop the mug
See dick pay for the mug

DON'T BE A DICK
(except the pay part)

Bax, sometimes that's just the way it goes.....

M

OK- here's the latest. Sorry for the delay, it's been a crazy week:

Otto has told me firmly that there is to be no vending out of rooms whatsoever on Saturday. It isn't fair to the dealers who have paid for vending space and make their livings off of events like these. He did suggest that it might be OK for Sunday since there will be no sales on the lanai and most vendors will have left. So we could have a single event in a room say between 11am and 1pm on Sunday. Now we have to decide the trading versus selling question.

Trading: There's a lot of advantages to everyone trading. But as bax points out, he doesn't want to trade for anything site unseen, and he (and others) aren't familiar with the names of the mugs. There is something to be said for seeing all of these things at the same time, as you might find something that strikes your fancy and wouldn't have thought of it otherwise. I think it would be fun for all of us to be together haggling. But...if someone is interested in building up a small collection, then they would likely have nothing to trade. This would leave all these people out.

Selling: Would allow more people to participate. I don't know if it would upset vendors if people were saving their money for Sunday and mugs. And I don't know how many of us would rather sell or trade.

Personally, there are things I'm interested in trading for, and I have things I'd like to sell. So there's no reason why we can't get together and exchange both goods and cash for things, depending on how we felt. That involves everyone being there at the same time. Still, it's going to be hard for a people to look at other people's things and watch his/her own stuff. (Which is why I volunteered to watch it all in the first place.)

Everthing has it's pro's and con's. But I think I have the answer. What about this third way: Everyone meets on the lanai or in a room at 11am Sunday. We form a circle with our stuff in front of us. Then, one at a time, everyone tells/shows what they've got (and declares the condition). If you don't have anything, just say that you're interested in making offers. Take notes of what you're interested in. At this point, the first person could say, "OK- I saw that skull mug that Joe had and I'd like to offer you a scorpion bowl in trade." Then people could pipe up and say, "Don't do it, Joe! I'll give you a ren clark, or a 100 bucks or whatever" I expect that it would descend into chaos quickly at this point. But I think it will be a fun chaos. At least this allows all of us to be together socially and for everyone to set their eyes on all the stuff.

these are just my addled thoughts. Tell me what you all think. I know it sounds anal on paper, but it's really not that bad.

-martin

Won't work for me since I'm only going to be there on Saturday (I'm driving out since I'm only 1 hour from home). Plus, I personally can see how trade prices/offers can get out of hand with all those collectors egging people on regarding what they should do tradewise.

Here's what I'm doing - I'll bring what I have available for trade and keep it in my car. If there's anybody interested, they can look at what I've got.

If I don't get any bites, no loss. The effort is minimal and I don't get aggravated from a live bartering session with other collectors who may want the same stuff I want.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-05-04 09:18 ]

Wow! It's just my personal opinion, but all this sounds too complicated.

Like I said before, I've literally done HUNDREDS of shows. I mean HUNDREDS! For me, one on one, item by item has always been what's worked. But that's just me. I guess I'd have to hear from someone who's more experienced and has done thousands of selling and trade shows.

As far as being fair to the vendors: It took me awhile before I stopped laughing... I sure hope Vendor #1 will direct me to Vendor #2 if Vendor #2 has a better price. You know, to be fair!

Oh, what's that? Vendor #1 isn't going to have the same stuff as Vendor #2? EXACTLY! What someone has in their hotel room ISN'T going to be exactly as what a vendor has out on the "lanai".

I believe "vending out of the rooms" is the wrong terminology. Besides, if someone is paying $168.75 per night (including tax) at The Tropics, I believe the person can invite who they like (within California law), and have a conversation about a certain item they have that might be of interest to the guest visiting the room.

For years, I've seen, heard, and experienced all the arguments for and against the "vending" (again, the wrong word), and to put it simply:
It's going to happen. Somehow, someway, whether you like it or not, especially now that the subject has been brought up and read by hundreds of people.

Those "in charge" at the event can decide if they want to frustrate themselves by being the room police and chase away all the bad, bad, no good, trading mug people from their rooms.....or just go have a drink and have fun.

I could spend another 3 hours typing all kinds of stories of event organizers being flustered trying to police what's happening in the rooms in order to "not upset the vendors by the awful traders doing trades in their rooms". PHOOOEY!

Oh, and yes, I do have quite a few events AND auctions that I have personally organized. I have been on both sides of this table.

I fully support any and all vendors. I always have, and always will.
BUT, if a friend has something that they think I'd like to see and wants to offer me the opportunity to have it under my ownership, I, like my Cherokee ancestors, will offer something in return for their kind gift. :wink: Simple.

This is not meant as a dig, retaliation or put down to anyone directly. It's based on my own personal experience.

Just my 2 coconuts worth!
Take it with a grain of salt, or a shot of 151.

SugarCaddyDaddy

SCD, very good point! You know, when it comes down to it, whatever's going to happen will happen.

Why don't you Cheap Bastards just pay for a vending space and trade/sell on Saturday!!!??? Give me a break! F'in cheap f'ers!!!! You's are messin with the gods man! If it weren't for Otto 95% of you's wouldn't even have tiki mugs! You's are starting a war! Lord of the Flies!

M

*If it weren't for Otto 95% of you's wouldn't even have tiki mugs! *

Thus ending the mystery of the famous Japanese pottery company: Otto-giri ?

Someone buy THESE mugs, seems no one else will. All sales are 100% legal, authorized, mandated safe and sane, free from SARS...and guaranteed to improve your sex life. Martiki knows a good deal, follow his lead!

Free To Be You and Me TIKI

T

I really don't appreciate us being called "F'in cheap f'ers!!!!". The Tiki Oasis, or any out-of-town event, is not exactly a cheap gathering to attend. Compared to local crawls or bar gatherings, these weekend gatherings are waaaaay up there in cost. The Oasis alone is going to be a huge chunk out of many of our entertainment budgets as it is. Now you expect us to pay to trade our couple of extra mugs?

The topic of the thread was "Mug TRADE at the Oasis, anyone?". Forget the whole concept of selling, that is off topic. If I remember correct, Otto has supported and encouraged trading of mugs, and opposed high-cost aftermarket selling sugh as ebay auctions. Now we're being discouraged from trading, and being asked to support aftermarket selling by paying for vending space?

Otto has made incredible contributions to Tiki revival and the uprise of Polynesian Pop culture, but I'm not giving him 95% credit for it all. I was into Tiki long before I ever knew about Tiki News, Otto, Sven, Tiki Central, etc. They are all fortunate discoveries in my search for Tiki. Tiki Oasis III is the first event I'll be attending with Otto as the major player.

I'm bringing my few up-for-trade items with me. If anyone would like to stop by my room and take a look, you are more than welcome. If you see me out by the pool, let me know you'd like to see my trades. We'll go take a look. I will not have anything for sale. But, if you see something you can't live without, let me know how to reach you after the event, and we'll go from there.

Lets get back to the roots of headhunting!

TIKI TRADE FREEDOM!!!

1. Cash or trade transactions only

It's 40.00 bucks to vend!!!!! If you's can't afford that, I'll pay for the fucking space!!!!!!!! Jesus Christ!!!!

Not related to the World Famous Bamboo Ben!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen on 2003-05-03 23:29 ]

M

Well. I've been waiting out the weekend on this to see what other comments came up before I posted a reply. Here goes:

I thought that putting together a little "antique mall" would be a fun thing for us to do. People are not into it. That's fine. It’s not a big deal- it was just an idea. I asked then if people wanted to stick to just trading. SCD mentioned the room hopping shopping, Pup offered some other ideas about how to organize sales/trades. But ultimately, no one wants to either leave his or her stuff with one person, get together at once to sell as a group, and some don’t want to sell at all. That’s fine. I understand all the reasons why. No sweat. And I wish to honor Otto’s wishes and not organize a single sales/trade event out of the rooms. And this IS a fact: Exactly 0% of us would be going to Palm Springs this weekend if it weren’t for Otto. So please show the man some respect for his efforts. He’s not going to be a room cop, SCD: he is going to drink and have fun like you said, just like we all will. And Pup, you were there last year, so this isn’t your first Otto-organized event.

Ben, I’m sorry that it came to this. If enough people were interested in a single sales event, then I would support paying for a table. But there’s no point in renting space for nothing- all the trading will be done one on one.

I know how Otto feels about ebay and high mug sales prices. I thought (hoped) that sales prices would stay reasonable because it was us. Because we would be dealing with each other. But I suspect Pop is right- it would get out of hand. One of the reasons I was interested in buying is that I simply thought the things I am planning to bring might not be good enough to trade for. But I’ll just see how it goes, and if I can’t trade it, then I guess it’s going back home to sell on TC or ebay or somewhere else.

Can we all agree on this: for the sake of harmony, we’ll just stick to informal trading. That’s what most people want anyway. Once again, as with all of the TC related things I plan or propose: I just thought it would be a fun thing to do. I apologize if I sent this thread out of control and I hope there’s no hard feelings: It’s going to be a great weekend, and I look forward to seeing all of you.

-martin

MB
Mrs. B posted on Mon, May 5, 2003 1:07 AM

Aloha,
Martin, mahalo for your post.
Traderpup, please don't take the "lash" personally, it's been a rough week.
Ben is in Vegas today paying his respects to a childhood friend who was murdered there on Monday. We haven't had a good week.
If I had an alarm on the computer...ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding (I'm F'in ringin!!!! Stop me) But, well; nope.
Soooo, let's just jive at the moment. It would be good for all our souls.
Bob Marley anyone??? "Let's get together and feel alright.!!"
Let's just all rock at Oasis.
Love, Mrs. Bamboo

AFAIK there will be NO Tiki Central booth at the Oasis.

~Hanford

On 2003-05-05 00:08, martiki6 wrote:
One of the reasons I was interested in buying is that I simply thought the things I am planning to bring might not be good enough to trade for.

Martin,
I feel the same way about the stuff I'm bringing! But like you, if I don't get any bites, oh well - back to the bat cave they go.

For you guys who have duplicates, don't forget I'm still looking to trade something for a Fu Manchu and a Bali Hai.

What does AFAIK mean? Seriously. Can't say it here?

B

On 2003-05-05 08:03, jungletrader wrote:
What does AFAIK mean? Seriously. Can't say it here?

As far as I know, it stands for "As Far As I Know," but I may be wrong...maybe someone here can correct me.

M

One more thing I forgot to add: If you are bringing things to trade and haven't said so already, can you please post to this thread with a simple "yes, I'll be bringing things". That way we'll just know who to look for.

thanks all,
martin

*On 2003-05-05 08:03, jungletrader wrote:*What does AFAIK mean? Seriously. Can't say it here?

Sometimes my IM slang crossed over to Tiki Central LOL :D

AFAIK: As Far As I Know.

Check out a list of groovy stuff here:
http://www.marshall.edu/isp/ct107/emoticons.html

~Hanford

L
laney posted on Tue, May 6, 2003 4:04 AM

I think all you tiki mug traders/sellers should wear fake mustaches/noses/glasses and trenchcoats and walk around wispering hey man, can I interest you in some goods?" then open the coat to reveal mugs secured to the lining inside. Or...
Do the trades out of the trunks of your cars but the buyer must slink away hiding the contraband mugs. "Psst, got the goods? Shhh!"

T

I thought I'd list the trade items I'll have with me, as sort of "trade motivation" (I found more than I thought I would):

3 black Moai mugs (OMC - one has sticker)
1 Orchids of Hawaii R-71
1 vintage home studio Tiki mug (well made)
1 white clam shell scorpion bowl, Hall pottery #1252
1 pair vintage palm frond Tiki masks with shell teeth
1 vintage grass skirt (hand knotted, shell & seed decor)
1 autographed Martin Denny album - From Maui With love, signed 5/82

maybe some aloha shirts too

If anyone is interested in checking out the goods, just track me down at the Oasis, & I'll be more than happy to show. I'll have these items offered in trade only! I don't mind bringing home the stuff that doesn't trade.

Here's to happy trading!

Pages: 1 41 replies