Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The Hukilau 2010 Official Announcement!!

Pages: 1 2 90 replies

Always advisable to get seminar tickets in advance as they often sell out.

There are exactly only 6 more weeks until Hukilau. Everyone all packed and ready to go?

PutiTiki, if you do pre-purchase your tickets you will experience ease at Registration. All tickets and wristbands are pre-assembled prior to our arrival at The Hukilau so we can speed up the process this year.

Take advice from the Jetsetter though - it's best to purchase your seminar tickets now, they usually sell out!

You're going to have an amazing time!

I'm coming to Hukilau for the first time and wonder if there is anyone looking for a roommate in order to share expenses? I'm a 50 yrs young single woman, active and adventurous, and plan to attend every possible minute of Hukilau. I drink but I don't smoke, and would only ask the same.

[ Edited by: Mimi Wana Kanalopa 2010-05-06 20:12 ]

If you wouldn't mind staying with a 50 year old guy .......... e-Mail me for arrangements.

Also a Hukilau virgin.

J

If you didn't receive the email notification for some reason, the limited edition Hukilau 2010 Shag shirts, Munktiki tiki mugs, and other great merchandise is available on thehukilau.com - 'Hukilau Souvenirs'. Get 'em before they're gone!

Something to be aware of for those flying into West Palm for Hukilau:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/flights-navigate-by-the-stars-pbia-names-flight-669774.html?imw=Y

On 2010-05-12 09:35, TikiHardBop wrote:
Something to be aware of for those flying into West Palm for Hukilau:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/flights-navigate-by-the-stars-pbia-names-flight-669774.html?imw=Y

Ha,ha...that's great! Greg Gish is a friend of F-Troop (he's a Turn 10 Race Fan) and I am now forwarding this article to him for comment. I was honored to attend his retirement party. Trump caused quite a fews problems legally for the airport a while back regarding these flight paths and the noise at his Mar-a-Lago.

We'd like to acknowledge and offer thanks to our rum sponsors for supplying us with rums (for Jeff Beachbum Berry's mixology seminar, the Master Mixologist Cocktail Challenge, and the 2010: A Cocktail Odyssey Hukilau Room Crawl) and other support they've lent to the success of this year's event. These fine contributions include Seven Tiki Spiced Rum, Bacardi Superior, Bacardi 8, and Rhum JM Gold, Blanc, and Vieux. Big thanks to Trader Tiki Syrups for their contributions as well.

We'd also like to announce our celebrity judges for the master Mixologist Cocktail Challenge (an esteemed lot to say the least):

Joe Desmond - A Master mixologist in his own right and co-proprietor of the infamous 'Rhum Rhum Room'

Otto Von Stroheim - a man who knows a thing or two about cocktails and founder and host of California's Tiki Oasis

Josn Agle (aka SHAG) - a man who needs no further introduction.

The Thursday Kickoff Party promises to be one you'll definitely NOT want to miss (and we didn't even mention the stellar entertainment lineup as well!)

That would be 'JOSH' Agle. Not sure why Spellcheck didn't catch that, when it does catch 'tiki' ;)

Harold Golen Gallery presents:

POLYBLEND

at Hukilau 2010

[ Edited by: HAROLDGOLENGALLERY 2010-05-20 13:45 ]

Harold Golen Gallery presents:

POLYBLEND

at Hukilau 2010

[ Edited by: HAROLDGOLENGALLERY 2010-05-20 13:46 ]

...AND the premiere of the Polyblend Art Show too! What a lineup - Quite the night ;)

On 2010-05-18 03:59, JETSETTER wrote:
...AND the premiere of the Polyblend Art Show too! What a lineup - Quite the night :wink:

I am SO ready, folks! I have to travel to Atlanta next week and I am hoping to meet up with Derek for a little pre-Hukilau preparation at Trader Vics!!!

Jetsetter and the rest of the hukilau planners, MAHALO for all of your work. I am bringing my taste buds and packing my fez!

Only 3 short weeks until Hukilau! Can't wait? Join us for a pre-Hukilau get-together at the Mai Kai, next Friday, May 28th to kick off Memorial Day Weekend. Happy Hour 1/2 price cocktails & appetizers from 5 - 7 PM, live rockabilly by Slip & The Spinouts from 6-9 PM, and then the party continues into the night! Hukilau rum sponsor Seven Tiki will also be on hand, offering sample Mai Tai cocktails featuring Seven Tiki rum for your enjoyment. We'll post the event invite when it's up & ready! See you there!

Lisa Petrucci
Miss Menehune, 2010
Liquid Acrylic and Envirotex on Wood
14 x 8 inches
$1000

haroldgolengallery.com

That's a wonderful piece!

J

Before we can can walk, we must learn to Crawl. The Cocktail Odyssey begins in one week from today!

T

Are they still doing a Shag dress or just the shirt?

P
phinz posted on Fri, Jun 4, 2010 6:15 PM

My question exactly, Renee. No news yet, and it's 6 days away... My wife was hoping to have hers before then.

Aloha everyone - I've been answering emails about the dress but didn't know there were folks posting on the Hukilau thread about it.

The fabric arrived last week, we got the stitcher to make one this week and then we photographed it last night. They will not be ready for pickup at the event but they will be sold online and made to order. The stitcher has begun making a few sizes. The fabric came in a little late and we're doing everything possible to bring you the new Shag dress - it might take a little bit longer but it's coming!

Thanks for your patience and understanding!

On 2010-06-04 18:34, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Aloha everyone - I've been answering emails about the dress but didn't know there were folks posting on the Hukilau thread about it.

The fabric arrived last week, we got the stitcher to make one this week and then we photographed it last night. They will not be ready for pickup at the event but they will be sold online and made to order. The stitcher has begun making a few sizes. The fabric came in a little late and we're doing everything possible to bring you the new Shag dress - it might take a little bit longer but it's coming!

Thanks for your patience and understanding!

I will score brownie points galore with Ms. Martini by getting her a dress, since she is unable to attend. Good luck with final preparations, TK!!!

R

We've made up some extra special Hukilau patches for members of our group, and I'll have a few to spare (had to order minimum qtys.). Better to let them go outside the inner circle than have a half dozen of them in a drawer collecting dust. After I set a couple back as thanks for the organizers and tiki dignitaries, I'll have a handful of Hukilau 2010 patches and a few of Hukilau 2010 Room Crawl Odyssey patches. These are not some machine made stuff bought from a sports embroidery shop, these were crafted overseas by one of the world's largest supplier of military insignia and are hand made using 14 kt gold bullion embroideries, and 3 dimensional embellishments. I was blown over when I saw them and you will be too. They are suitable for sewing on your fez, smoking jacket or framing. 20 bucks a pop.

Only a few extra exist of each, I have a little more of the Room Crawl badge than the generic badge. The generic badge features an interpretation of one of the fallen tikis formerly at the Mai Kai. The Room crawl badge features a design I can't reveal, lest we blow our ideas for our room.

If you are interested, you'll have to grab it Thursday night at the crawl, PM me if you want one and won't be there Thursday.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ Edited by: robotiki 2010-06-06 05:49 ]

[ Edited by: robotiki 2010-06-06 19:41 ]

Robotiki - looking forward to getting one of those and seeing your room!! Just 5 more days everyone!!!

We'll be packing a lot of fun into a small space, but we think you'll all enjoy the heck out of what we've come up with for the room crawl!

Two more days until I get on the road and meet up with robotiki. It's hard to believe it's nearly here!

Safe travels everyone! See you there!

T

Does anyone know if volunteers are still needed in the next couple of days before Hukilau? I sent an email 2 days ago and have not heard back.

R

OK, I wasn't going to show these in advance of the event, but I got a lot of emails wanting to know what they look like, and it is damn close. So here's one--Ta-da! I think they look better in person......the lettering is actually raised/3-D.

You'll have to wait until the event to see the second one.
Got a couple one off prototypes with me too. all $20 ea.

Robotiki

[ Edited by: robotiki 2010-06-06 20:14 ]

J

On 2010-06-06 18:31, TikiRenee wrote:
Does anyone know if volunteers are still needed in the next couple of days before Hukilau? I sent an email 2 days ago and have not heard back.

I believe there are. Try to send a message to [email protected]

O

hmmm any chance in potentially getting a shag thong made in a men's large...

you think i'm kidding!

T

Was there a picture and price posted of the dress? A friend that is not going to Hukilau might be interested.

J

2010: A COCKTAIL ODYSSEY - THE HUKILAU ROOM CRAWL... TOMORROW!!!

I know a certain space ape that may need to acquire one of these for his flight suit....

On 2010-06-06 20:10, robotiki wrote:
OK, I wasn't going to show these in advance of the event, but I got a lot of emails wanting to know what they look like, and it is damn close. So here's one--Ta-da! I think they look better in person......the lettering is actually raised/3-D.

You'll have to wait until the event to see the second one.
Got a couple one off prototypes with me too. all $20 ea.

Robotiki

[ Edited by: robotiki 2010-06-06 20:14 ]

To all the Hukilau people,

My wife And I who both worked at the Mai Kai in the '70s and '80s, I as a musician and my wife a waitress, went to the Mai Kai last to enjoy Molokai/happy hour, appetizers and dinner/show.
Everything was wonderful, especially the barrels.
Kern(manager) came into Molokai to say "Hello".
Maître d’ Angel Vega( Also from the '70s, who has worked his way up from waiter to seating captain and now maître d’) took good care of us(Tonga -front row-center table).
After the show we spent some time talking to Fika and Fles, both who are remainders from the '70s.
Molokai appetizers,chicken coriander and pork tenderloin, were excellent as were the barrels.
Dinner, I had the orange beef, which I had them add some Szechuan heat to, and my wife had the Szechuan beef. Both excellent, but watch out for those innocent looking peppers, they're killer. Thank goodness I had my barrel.
We passed on dessert, decided to share another barrel.
All in all it was a great evening.
THE MAI KAI IS READY FOR YOU!!!
Aloha nui loa,
Nibblegribitz

P.S. - We met a couple(Brian and his wife,from the Hershey Penn. area) in Molokai who are down for Hukilau 2010. Very nice people. We enjoyed talking over our drinks and apps.

T

Didn't Hukilau happen over the weekend. Where's the Phtoos??

yeah any pics or just too much fun to take photos?>

It appears Facebook may be the scene of all the early photo action.

Here's a link to my gallery which also includes some photos from the Pre-Hukilau Dinner at the Mai Kai from Wednesday night.

http://gallery.me.com/imikejones#100173

Enjoy!

S

On 2010-06-15 05:14, sneakyjack wrote:
yeah any pics or just too much fun to take photos?>

Still recovering....

R

Still recovering....

I second that!

What an amazing job everybody did!
Congrats! And thanks!

Recovery may be a few more days process. I wanted to thank everyone I talked to (and I think I talked to everyone) and that bought some of my stuff. The parties were incredible, art was unbelievable, the music rocked - this was tiki at its best. Thank you to all the people in charge and that volunteered!!! Special props to Pdrake, wPlugger and even Crazy All for sharing my table. I could go on and on, but will keep it short. Its an early night as I try and catch up on some much needed sleep. How long till next year?

I will not believe a thing until I see VISUAL PROOF! :)

Here's some proof that Hukilau 2010 actually happened, courtesy of the mainstream press ...

Review and photos from The Palm Beach Post, video from WPBT (Miami):
http://www.pbpulse.com/events/2010/06/14/hukilau-turns-lauderdale-into-tiki-heaven/

Photo gallery from Broward Palm Beach New Times:
http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/slideshow/tiki-fun-at-the-hukilau-2010-30106663/

More to come ...

On 2010-06-15 14:49, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:

Still recovering....

I second that!

What an amazing job everybody did!
Congrats! And thanks!

Me as well. I still ache from all the stoop labor I did for the room crawl. Totally worth it though. Can't wait for next year!

As a vendor this year I missed a few things so thanks to everyone for the pictures.

Does anyone happen to have a final headcount for this years event? I am trying to remember through the fog of activity if the crowd seemed bigger, or the room smaller.

Pages: 1 2 90 replies