Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The Hukilau 2010 Official Announcement!!

Pages: 1 2 90 replies

Tiki Kiliki Productions presents

The Hukilau 2010

The Most Intimate Tiki Gathering in the World

June 10 – 13, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Event locations include
The Bahia Cabana, Bahia Mar, and the Mai-Kai Restaurant

PURCHASE TICKETS NOW!

Aloha Wahines, Kanes, Beachcombers, Carvers, Mixolgists, Tikiphiles and lovers of everything Polynesian Pop, we are pleased to announce the 9th annual Hukilau, in association with Seven Tiki Rum, Trader Vic's and Tiki Farm, taking place from June 10th to June 13th, 2010, in beautiful Ft. Lauderdale Florida.

Plan now for your June Polynesian Pop vacation weekender which unites Tikiphiles from around the world! The Mai-Kai, now in its 54th year, awaits you with its dimly lit entrance, its cavernous mazes and magical memories! Be dazzled by four days of exotic and intoxicating art, entertainment, music, historic seminars, fashion and of course, drink! Though The Bahia Cabana is sold out, the magnificent Bahia Mar has plenty of rooms (with marina views) available for the incredible rate of $114.00 per night.

The Hukilau 2010 featured events:

The Hukilau has the distinct privilege of presenting the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale’s Oceanic Collection donated by none other than the Mai-Kai itself in the early 1970s. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to view this world-class collection for the first time.

The Hukilau special guest, artist SHAG, will be debuting three new paintings as part of the on-site Harold Golen Gallery art show installation “Poly Blend.”

The master mixologist, Jeff “Beach Bum” Berry, returns with an all-new seminar about The Suffering Bastard!

Florida historian Lu Vickers, author of “Weeki Wachee, City of Mermaids: A History of One of Florida's Oldest Roadside Attractions” will delight and enthrall with her seminar, slide show and vintage film footage.

We have not one but two film debuts in store for The Hukilau 2010. Filmmaker Jochen Hirschfeld presents the world premiere of “The DVD Of Tiki,” five years in the making - a film crew traveled the Pacific for 101 days capturing both the true South Seas and its pop culture reinvention – a true labor of love. Duda Leite, back from Sao Paulo, Brazil, brings a full feature-length version of his fabulous “Tikimentary: In Search Of The Lost Paradise,” all about the modern-day Tiki movement!!

Entertainers include:

• The Woggles
  • The Neanderthals
  • Straight from Japan, The Sweet Hollywaiians
  • The Bikini Beachcombers
  • Stolen Idols
  • The Intoxicators!
  • Walk the Plank
  • Our most favorite of royals, King Kukulele emcees the entire weekend.

Hukilau Virgins & Those Back by Popular Demand:

• DJ Lee of Dionysus Records
  • DJ Dr. Scopitone
  • Marina, The Fire Eating Mermaid
  • Candy Del Rio
  • Elena The Hula Hoop Girl
  • DJ Lounge Laura Taylor

Other Hukilau 2010 Special Events:

• The return of the Hukilau Room Crawl – 2010 A Cocktail Odyssey!
  • The return of the long-awaited “Sarong-O-Rama Fashion Show”!

Also look for upcoming sculpts and insider info about the 2010 Munktiki / Kevin Kidney Mug. Hukilau glassware, T-shirts and other keepsakes!

Want to get involved in The 9th Annual Hukilau?

We offer an array of opportunities that will get your company noticed by thousands of Tikiphiles from all over the world:

Your Products Sold at Vending Space in the Tiki Treasures Bazaar!
Your Company Named as Special Event Sponsor including Thursday's Kickoff Party, Friday Night Main Event, SHAG Meet and Greet, Cocktail Recipe Contest and Room Crawl!

Your Ad in the Official Hukilau Event Program!

Your Logo Featured on The Hukilau Web site!

Your Logo Featured on Hukilau Promotional Materials!

Your Company Featured in Hukilau Press and Social Networking!

Your Message in Email Blasts to 6,000 Highly Targeted Tiki Names!

Your Web Site Banner on The Hukilau Web site!

Your Product Giveaways at Hukilau Events!

Your Promotional Item in 500 Arrival Aloha Packs!

Your Product Featured in Drink Specials at the Bar!

Your Product Featured at Sampling and Tasting Events!

Your Product Showcased at The Hukilau!

Space is limited. Sign up early for best placement. Custom packages available, combining several benefits that best suit your company's needs.

For inquiries re: Hukilau sponsorship, vending and/or advertising, say Aloha to Christi Crowe at 415-566-8628 or email at [email protected]

Be sure to join our discussions and keep updated on The Hukilau by joining our Facebook Fan Page - just click the link below!

Stay tuned for event updates! Let the countdown begin and Click HERE to purchase tickets to all the weekends events!

A special thanks to Sour Apple Graphics for our amazing website this year!!!

We'll see you in June!!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The Hukilau

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2010-01-12 08:58 ]

H

Chuffed to say we'll be kicking off our honeymoon at Hukilau, fulfilling a dream of mine to visit an original american tiki bar in the Mai Kai, and to attend a tiki weekender!

Looking forward to meeting a lot of the ohana that i've met online here too - can't wait!!

Cheers from frosty London.

PI

Missing our first FL Hukilau :( My brother is graduating from high school on the same Saturday and we have to be in NC for family stuff.

H

The wife and I are looking forward to our first Hukilau!!! wooHoo!!!

Any other DC Area TCrs going?

Aloha Hearn!

Yes, there is certainly a DC/Baltimore group traveling down, myself included --- PM me if you'd like and we can exchange info and details.

Excited you'll be making it!!
Orchid Wahine

Hukilau Co-Organizer

Just finished making the final arrangements: Flying Virgin America from SFO, staying at the Bahia Cabana, early show at the Mai-Kai, full weekend pass, plus tickets to about half the seminars/special events. Whew! I cannot wait. I'm so excited to see the Mai-Kai and all my wonderful friends again.

Congratulations in advance, harro! We'll be honeymooning, too.

See you all there!

Blessed are all those lucky non-freelancers that can plan ahead for such momentous happenings! I sure would if I could!

Glad to see all those that are coming! This year is not to be missed - and there's more yet to be announced!

Sven.....I'm still hoping you'll be there!!

T
TikiG posted on Sat, Jan 16, 2010 7:26 AM

I'll be there this year :)

It'll be my first Hukilau and my first visit to the Mai Kai...needless to say I CAN'T WAIT!

Oh yeah, surprises are good...tiki kiliki - I can't stand the suspense regarding the "wait for more announcements"

Bring 'em on!

The thought of Hukilau 2010 is keeping me going through a long, cold difficult winter!!!!

Ya know... I just might this year.

-Z

KSC

:o I think I'm goin! Yay my first Hukilau! Hope I make a bunch of friends :)

Hello, I live in Pompano Beach, just North up route 1, 5-10 minute drive from the Mai Kai, I'm looking forward to this!

KungFuTiki - join us at the Mai-Kai on February 20th for a Hukilau Countdown party with the Intoxicators!!

Glad to see there are so many new folks that are making it to the event this year! There's still so much to announce, one amazing year planned.....

We can't wait for June to get to Hukilau! We will be performing Friday evening with The Neanderthals, Sweet Hollywaiians, Stolen Idols, Walk The Plank, Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid, Candy Del Rio and then again Saturday evening in the Samoa and Tahiti Dining Areas at the wonderful Mai-Kai.
Check us out at http://www.walktheplanktiki.com and follow the links to photos, music, and fun! See you there.

TV

My wife and I will be retiring (air traffic controllers)May 31st. This will be our way of kicking off our retirement. I can't wait. We'll be driving down from eastern NC.

[ Edited by: Tiki V 2010-02-12 20:09 ]

On 2010-01-31 11:08, tiki_kiliki wrote:
KungFuTiki - join us at the Mai-Kai on February 20th for a Hukilau Countdown party with the Intoxicators!!

I'll be sure to be there next weekend!

Tiki V - great kickoff to the retirement indeed! Be sure to say hello and glad you are joining us!

And KungFuTiki - see you next weekend at the show!

TV

I'm looking forward to meeting some new friends.

Seems I heard something about bowling in a tiki themed alley, but I've not seen it on any of the schedules. Is that still happening?

Unfortunately, the bowling alley tour will not be happening. The complex did not have appropriate insurance in order for us to physically be on the grounds. Also, they officially closed the bowling alley - which is super sad.... I even offered to fund the maintenance until after the event but they declined. Don't worry though, we've got plenty planned!

That's too bad... What WAS the story with the alley. Is it tiki themed, and any way folks could get a look at it??

K

On 2010-01-13 00:12, harro wrote:
Chuffed to say we'll be kicking off our honeymoon at Hukilau, fulfilling a dream of mine to visit an original american tiki bar in the Mai Kai, and to attend a tiki weekender!

What a fantastic honeymoon you will have at Hukilau!!!!!!

There have been marriage proposals there, and this is the perfect next step.

Watch out, there may be a little menehune or wahini in 9 months!

Look forward to meeting you!

[ Edited by: KikiTiki 2010-02-21 04:43 ]

[ Edited by: KikiTiki 2010-03-22 18:24 ]

This will be our first one! We're driving down from Cleveland in our old wagon...can't wait!

S

On 2010-02-21 09:43, Mooretifiki wrote:
This will be our first one! We're driving down from Cleveland in our old wagon...can't wait!

Can Dave and I hitch a ride? We can re-inact the Tiki Eyeball drive to the Aku Tiki! Glad you guys are making it.

You and the Cellar Dweller, two of the funniest passengers ever!

What's YOUR best Hukilau memory and story? Share it with us here or on the Facebook fan page! See you in June for the most intimate tiki event in the world!!

XO, Orchid Wahine

I was just at the Mai Kai this weekend and boy are they excited about this year's event! I can't wait to hop in my car and come back down already! June, get here soon!!!

Here's one of my favorite Hukilau memories!!!

The lineup is set for this year's Hukilau Room Crawl - '2010: A Cocktail Odyssey', and, as promised, it looks like this year's Crawl will be the best one yet! With Atomic/Tiki/Space Age themes, our room hosts are hard at work creating cocktail concoctions and room environments that will be out of this world! What's even better, this year we've added extra host rooms that will allow pass holders to experience multiple, overlapping rooms simultaneously during any given hour of the evening, in addition to the scheduled entertainment lineup, culminating in our 'Master Mixologist Cocktail Challenge' at midnight (with the Crawl resuming into the wee hours again in the 'Go11 Spaceport' at the conclusion of the Challenge!

Make sure to purchase your passes if you haven't already done so and join us at the Thursday Kickoff Party for the start of another Hukilau you won't soon forget!

Here's a brief overview of the night's lineup, with more details to follow in the coming days as we Countdown to Hukilau 2010...

8:00 Room: 'Tikiwoo's Radiation Spaceport' Host(s): Tiki Woo

8:30 Room: 'Gaughin's Grotto' Host(s): The Diabolical Dr. K (Damon Vegas, Dylan Otto, Jonathan Lee Blouk)

9:00 Room: 'The Day The Tiki Stood Still' Hosts: The Mira Mar League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Icky, CC Rockdog, and Mixologist Trader Dick
and the rest of the MMLEG)

9:30 Room: 'The Christmas Island Room' Host(s): Blitzed and Vixen

10:00 Room: 'Look At The Bunny' Host(s): The Terrible Four (George, Mark, Marla, and Curtis)

10:30 Room: 'Macadamia Nut Hut' Host(s): Numan & John Mac Nink

11:00 Room (will break @ midnight and resume at 1:00 AM): 'Go11 Spaceport' Host(s): Go11 Team

See you all in June and stay tuned for further updates!

Just a little more than three months to Hukilau featuring The Sweet Hollywaiians direct from Japan! Can't wait to see these guys live and in person ...

Check out this really cool clip from the recording studio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieL4jllQIdY

Definitely helps get through a rainy Monday afternoon!

Make sure to purchase your Hukilau Aloha Pass to ensure entry into this year's Room Crawl - 2010: A Cocktail Odyssey and the Master Mixologist Cocktail Challenge at the Kickoff Party on Thursday, June 10th. You'll also experience the Premiere of the Tiki Art Show, and emcee King Kukulele with live musical performances by The Woggles, The Intoxicators!, Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid, Candy Del Rio, Elena the Hula Hooper Extraordinaire and DJ Lounge LauraTaylor. Arrive on Friday, and all you'll hear is what you missed on Thursday night (from what people can remember anyway ;)

The Sweet Hollywaiians sound great!
Will they be sellin cds at Hukilau?

J

Ready to 'Boogaloo' with the Woggles at the Thursday Night Kickoff Party! Get your Boogaloo on at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaGWuE-Vnn4 and check em out!

See them and emcee King Kukulele with MORE live musical performances by The Intoxicators!, Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid, Candy Del Rio, Elena the Hula Hooper Extraordinaire and DJ Lounge Laura Taylor, IN ADDITION TO the the Tiki Art Show Premiere, AND The Hukilau Room Crawl - 2010: A Cocktail Odyssey AND the Master Mixologist Cocktail Challenge. Quite the opening night lineup, but you'll need an Aloha Pass (get 'em at thehukilau.com ) to make sure you don't miss out on the fun!

Looking forward to "Sea"ing all of you fintastic tikiphiles again!

Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid!

R

Drove across state today to the Bahia Cabana to scout my room set up for the room crawl. Whilst there, I made a trek across the street and saw the newly reopened Wreck bar. Hoping to see Marina in it this year!

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ Edited by: robotiki 2010-04-14 17:42 ]

HUKILAU SHAG UPDATE & SNEAK PEEK: Here's a peek of what you've been waiting for and information on the Official and only Shag Signing of The Hukilau weekend!

Bring your books, prints or favorite Shag item for the Only Shag Signing of the weekend to be held on Friday, June 11, 2010 at 12:00pm during the Tiki Treasures Bazaar. We want Shag to have his fun too so you'll see him throughout the weekend with a mug in his hand - but let's please try to keep the signings to this Official time.

We announced that we were producing a Shag Aloha Shirt and the 1st Shag Dress!! Well, here's the first look at the fabric and a look at what the shirt layout will look like. With images of the Mystery Girl, the signature Cannibals of the Mai-Kai's past, the sexy Molokai girls, the classic Decanter and The Hukilau text all in place...simply perfect and screaming Aloha!! We don't have an image of the dress as of yet but it is a vintage style that will be available in XS - 2XL and flattering for everyone! Image will be available next week! If you are interested in receiving a pre-sell email regarding the shirt please email Tiki Kiliki ([email protected]) - and please include your size so we can have some idea where to set our quantities. Limited Edition of 250 - the price point for the shirt is $95.00

This is a done deal! I'll send in my size tonight. I cannot live without that shirt!

I know times are tough all over, and some of you potential vendors are counting nickels and dimes to see if it adds up in your favor. The Hukilau Website lists Vendor Packages at $250 (includes 2 tickets) and then adds that two vendors can go in together if needed. What isn't listed on the website is an additional fee charged to do so. If your planning on sharing with someone the price for two vendors to share a space is $350.

We did the math and if the two vendors in question are traveling as couples (2 vendors, 2 people each, 4 total bodies) it is actually ten bucks cheaper for you each to get a vendor spot.

Our Tiki Treasures Bazaar is officially SOLD OUT! We have so many wonderful vendors from all over the country - carvers, vintage dealers, artists and many, many more! Don't miss out on this year as many of our vendors are new and there are a few from the past that are returning.

And remember - the Tiki Treasures Bazaar is free and open to the public on Saturday 6/12/10 from 12:00pm - 4:00pm. Enjoy our DJ lineup, have an afternoon cocktail and take in the Sarong-O-Rama!

If you'd like to be placed on the waiting list for a vending spot with us, sponsor The Hukilau or purchase an ad in our first ever Hukilau Souvenir Program Booklet just contact Christi Crowe via email at [email protected] or by calling 415-566-8628.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The Hukilau

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2010-04-22 05:09 ]

Hukilau 2010 kicks off exactly 7 short weeks from today! If you'd like to lend your support by helping out in the days immediately preceding Hukilau (Mon. - Wed. June 7-9) by assisting in the coordination of registration materials, and the other assorted last minute items that will need to get done, we'd love to have your help! Best of all, if you fulfill the time requirements, you'll be eligible for all of great benefits given to Volunteers! Contact [email protected] if you're interested. See you in 7 short weeks!

R

Any idea if the Mai Kai has the water features and lighting fixed in their gardens, indoor and out? It was a bit disappointing last year to see the gardens half dark and the waters still......

Outside gardens are looking amazing! Our cold snap was followed by some heavy rain so lots of the landscaping has come back into bloom.

The inside gardens are looking better than they have for a long time, but the indoor waterfall is still off. It seems that every time they fix a leak a new one is discovered. Someone joked that they should give up on the waterfall and just turn it into a giant planter with tropicals and orchids. It sounded silly until someone else pointed out the fact that was the design in the original build-out.

R

Any chance the locals can pressure them into action to get those inside waterfalls up and running for the show?

The Mai-Kai will always do their very best to get things in shape for The Hukilau - it looks amazing now and it will look amazing during the event. I know the water feature in the bar is important to a lot of you and they will certainly try.

Sure looking forward to your room during the Crawl Robotiki!!

On 2010-04-25 08:43, robotiki wrote:
Any chance the locals can pressure them into action to get those inside waterfalls up and running for the show?

The nice folks at Rubber-Made said they would do what they could, but when the guy in the Lab Coat was crawling around taking measurements he didn't have a 'happy face' on..... so as plan B we keep leaving offerings of Left Socks for the Moai in the hopes that they can use their magic to help.

Even if the inside water fall is off for Hukilau, it will still be a beautiful walk through after dinner because of all the orchids that should be in bloom.

Is it the plumbing or the fountain basins that are leaking? Maybe they need to be lined with a good coat of polyester resin? Hope the event provides the impetus they need to get them going. If not, dry ice would act like water if placed in the niches for the evening.....
Making an offering to the waterfall gods in hopes they are successful. Regardless of whether the inside fountain is on or not it will be a fabulous event, and hats off to the folks who have worked so hard to bring it about.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ Edited by: robotiki 2010-04-29 09:48 ]

P

Booked my flight and hotel for HukiLau. First time going so looking for some tips. I already made a reservation at Mai Kai, made sure my hotel is on the beach, and purchased some Hawaiian garb. Is it necessary to purchased tickets to events before showing up or can I get them the day of? Can't wait for this.

Pages: 1 2 90 replies