Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Johnny Cash sings Aloha Oe

Pages: 1 5 replies

R

According to Pitchfork, the final volume of Johnny Cash's ongoing "American Recordings" series will include his version of "Aloha Oe."

http://pitchfork.com/news/37565-final-johnny-cash-iamerican-recordingsi-album-due/

The album is due for release February 26, 2010.

Cheers,
Rupe

M

I got it on itunes but if you google "Johnny Cash Aloha oe" you can hear it for free on lala. A farewell song from the man in black using his broken down voice and confronting the end of the road on this album.

C
croe67 posted on Thu, Mar 4, 2010 8:24 PM

yeah - we bought the CD on Tuesday.
Great musically, but most of the tunes are depressingly death-related.

My comment here are home was something to the effect of "man, if people think The Smiths are depressing, this is like 50x moreso"

It's very good, but not exactly perky"

I'm not sure how Aloha Oe fits in with the rest of the tunes on the CD, but that's where it is, so there you go.

M

In my opinion he knew this was his last album and like most of the depressing "death is around the corner" songs on the album it was a "farewell" song - until we meet again meant for him on the other side.

Aloha ‘Oe,” the most beloved of all Hawaiian songs, was composed by Princess Lili‘uokalani in the late 1870s. Although Lili‘uokalani categorized “Aloha ‘Oe” as a love song, it is considered by most a song of farewell, due to its recurrent lyric theme. Little wonder that Henry Berger and the Royal Hawaiian Band adopted the tune, famously playing it on the wharf at Honolulu Harbor as steamships departed the Paradise of the Pacific.

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2010-03-04 21:05 ]

RB

I really like this rendition of "Aloha Oe"...tastefully done.

Johnny Cash will be memorialized by the U.S. Postal Service this year with his very own stamp. The country legend will be a part of a new "Music Icons" series of stamps, and his version features a photograph by Frank Bez taken for 1963's Ring of Fire: The Best of Johnny Cash. Read more: http://rol.st/XjbyLE

Pages: 1 5 replies