Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Fiberglass Tiki made by OOH?

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

I looked for any manufacturing marks or labels, but did not locate any. Its fiberglass about six foot tall. I was thinking about purchasing it. Anyone recognize it?

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2010-01-22 12:13 ]

No...but I have felt and looked like that when I looked in the mirror the next morning after a couple of Mai Tai nights.

KK

I always thought it was made for the store. I think it was in the store on Stone Way. (The first store on Stone Way.) But as there used to be tons of oddball surplus stuff back then I also wondered if it had come from another place or some sorta stage show. (That helped a lot, huh?)

As Archie McPhee's had some of the few traces of Tiki in Seattle for a long time it'd be a good buy (assuming the price is sane) especially as there'd be the added novelty of a notable piece of Seattle pop culture owning a notable piece of Seattle pop culture.

T

I talked with the owner and he told me that he purchased it in the late 80's early 90's. He said that he bought it from Orchids of Hawaii. Did they market decor?

W

I suggest you change the title of this thread and leave out "Archie McPhee" as most folks glancing over threads probably assume this one has to do with the Archie McPhee's Tiki goods they're already familiar with.

A subject line like Large Tiki Sculpture: Orchids of Hawaii? or something similar might get more attention. Someone on here should know if OOH produced and/or sold this sort of thing

if you add "free puppies" to the title as well
that'll draw even MORE people here!
:)

I'm just sayin.....

T

Mark also said that it was originally made for a Tiki Bar in the Bronx. The bar either closed before this tiki shipped form OOH, or they must have canceled the order.

It would be a cooler tiki without the tongue ....don't yah think?

It's always nice to have some history to go with the Tiki, if it's a fair price give it a good home Fuzz! :)

W

Figuring this thread was off the radar I took another approach.

Same tiki, new thread.

On 2010-01-21 16:07, thefuzz wrote:
I talked with the owner and he told me that he purchased it in the late 80's early 90's. He said that he bought it from Orchids of Hawaii. Did they market decor?

Sorry, but I thought that had answered the question.

Well, here you go, 1992 Orchids of Hawaii Catalog:

"They are MYSTICAL, ROMANTIC, and CAPTIVATING" !!? ...not really, after what THEY did to them!
Clearly these abominations are examples of Tiki devolution. But what is Tiki devolution to some, is Tiki bliss to others, so if you like the guy, get it and give it a brown paint job, it definitely does not look like a stone sculpture.

Did Orchids market decor? Hell yeah, that was 90% percent of their business, and it was mostly all Chinese Restaurant stuff, the mugs were just a small percentage of their wares.

W

OK, now that answered the question.

Nice look up Sven.

Thanks for posting those pics from the Orchids of Hawaii Catalog Sven, I picked up 4 of the RF293 Half Round Tiki Totems in the fall from the old Hawaiian Jade in New York. My urban archeology had led me to the owners son, Ed Keough who had the fiberglass Tiki poles for sale in Brooklyn for $75 each. (Good deal considering they went for $204.51 each in 1992) Ed told me that his father opened it in the late 60's along with another resturant called Lamps of China. I wish I could have see them in action back then!
I thought they were made by Orchids but I couldn't confirm until now, ma halo! :)

"Lamps of China" !!? That sounds great! Does anybody have anything on that place? I could use it for my shirt book.

T

Thanks again Sven!

They are asking $295 for it. For that price I might look into an Oceanic Arts item. I'll look thought the catalog tonight.

Pages: 1 15 replies