Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ten to go...

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

Wehell:
10 more posts to go til I hit my 7000st post! That seems like a good solid numba. Many good veterans have fallen by the wayside, but for me...."they will have to pry Tiki from my cold dead hands!" before I shut up about it, and stop dishing out unpaid (and sometimes unsolicited) advice.

Let the countdown begin!
Quick, somebody say something stupid, so I can come along as the wise guy!
(But it has to be something WORTHY stupid) :D

I am saving a good one for the big number. That is if I remember to watch out for it.

T

7000 posts...get a life ! :)

There, I said something stupid !

Keep fightin the good fight Sven !

Dang Big Bro you are just a little early. Tiki Central is going to hit the 500,000 post mark in a little bit, but with your prolific fingers that timing won't work for the perfect 7,000th post on the 500,000 post mark. Thanks for the effort and here's to the next 7,000.

DC

I know I stand in line
Until you think you have the time
To share a post with me.
And then I go and spoil it all
By saying something stupid like
Witco's not ti-ki.

On 2010-01-26 17:44, tikiyaki wrote:

Yes and no, Jim. This IS my life...not all of it, but it is the "cheap fun" part. But I am also a dad, a husband, a mid-century modern archeologist, and a free-lance cameraman. You know how it is as a freelancer, lots of time between jobs (for me usually in the winter) and NO time when working.

But the great thing is that Tiki Central keeps me thinking and musing about this, my favorite subject, and that is part of my OTHER work: Writing. And TC has helped shape ideas and concepts in my head like no other writing tool, Thank you all!

Sorry Bigbro i don't know how to say anything Stupid, :)

But how bout this, I found this newspaper add in the Sarasota Herald Tribune. Ever heard of this place? Know who Ray Johnson is?

April 1960

I appreciate all of your contributions and your purist sense of the subject matter.

CJ

Sven's books suck!

Oh come on Bigbro! lets do this thing! Post already! :)

Wow Dawn, let's not get too emotional here now! :lol: That reads like a fortune cookie. :)

David, such a cool ad is certainly worth a reply! Never heard of it, but it can be seen as further proof for the Florida Gulf coast threatening California's status as THE Polynesian pop state in America. It's more of a question for our resident Florida researcher,Mo-Eye, whose fantastic work has opened our eyes to this neglected area:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32631&forum=1&vpost=459455

Question is: But WHY did all these places disappear without leaving a trace? Possible answer: The Tiki phenomenon was a shorter blip on the screen, an intense spike that went away as fast as it came.

HOLY CRAP!!!!! 7000, I only got two to go until 1000. Keep on posting Sven.

T

On 2010-01-26 17:58, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2010-01-26 17:44, tikiyaki wrote:

Yes and no, Jim. This IS my life...not all of it, but it is the "cheap fun" part. But I am also a dad, a husband, a mid-century modern archeologist, and a free-lance cameraman. You know how it is as a freelancer, lots of time between jobs (for me usually in the winter) and NO time when working.

But the great thing is that Tiki Central keeps me thinking and musing about this, my favorite subject, and that is part of my OTHER work: Writing. And TC has helped shape ideas and concepts in my head like no other writing tool, Thank you all!

Indeed ! I was (as we say in NY) Bustin your Balls ! Thanx for years of valuable insight, eye candy and tons of Tiki info !

Now...about that 10,000th post....:D

Remember....

" It's ELI not ELY!!!!! "

(bustin your balls also! :wink:

Keep up the good fight you Freak of Tiki!!!

come on bigbro, at this rate it's gonna take all night!
I'm going to go cut up some bamboo and I'll be back in an hour, try to be up to at least 6996 by then ok? :)

I don't think I've posted 7,000 of anything, anywhere, ever. Even if you nail it down to words!

I think the easiest way to get to 7,000 would have to be to embark upon a discussion of why Oriental Trading Company's tiki party gear is just so insanely awesomely tiki.

... he said with a sly grin.

Congratulations Sven!

Long live the Tiki B's ~ Buffett, Bahama and Bigbro!

I think I just threw up on my balls. :D

hmmm, maybe THIS will get him to post. Actually it's not YOUR life. You are life, in other words, the minute we think we are "separate" from LIFE is when the trouble begins. heheh.

Jungle Freud

I still don't get the Witco, I'm tryin, but it ain't happening for me. Keep it pure...come on 7000!!!

CJ

Awesome! Has anyone read this?

Some vitals:

Bigbrotiki joined Tiki Central on May 25, 2002

Bigbrotiki was 33rd member of Tiki Central

Bigbrotiki has accounted for 1.41% of the posts on TC

Bigbrotiki has averaged 2.41 posts per day since May 25, 2002 to approach the milestone of 7,000 posts

If he could just write a book or take some photos or something that would be great.

DC

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jan 26, 2010 11:06 PM

Come on you Bum!
Sven, don't be a Tiki Diva!
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: I will stop posting until Bigbro posts again!
...#7000 post... Big deal!
You still have a lot to learn about Spanish Tiki!
Gabba Gabba!

On 2010-01-26 23:06, Dustycajun wrote:
Some vitals:

Bigbrotiki joined Tiki Central on May 25, 2002

Bigbrotiki was 33rd member of Tiki Central

Bigbrotiki has accounted for 1.41% of the posts on TC

Bigbrotiki has averaged 2.41 posts per day since May 25, 2002 to approach the milestone of 7,000 posts

If he could just write a book or take some photos or something that would be great.

DC

SOON TO BE RELEASED

"The Book of Tiki Central" by Sven Kirsten

Containing all 7000 posts by bigbrotiki!

Order your's TODAY!

just thinking ouy loud here,
I'm glad I was able to help.

OGR

SOON TO BE RELEASED

"The Book of Tiki Central" by Sven Kirsten

Containing all 7000 posts by bigbrotiki!

Order your's TODAY!

....But wait! The first to order gets a complete tour of the local Tiki sights provided by Sven in a bitchin' 1960 BUICK! Sven buys the drinks...Sven drives the car.

OK. Here they are Sven. Just like you asked.

I don't see what the big hurry is, but it's your gig.

Now what?

The Buick's been in the garage for a while: Transmission's shot, gas too expensive... :(

7000...10,000...it's just a number :D

It is the CONTENT that counts, too. I admittedly have the advantage that I can look back at over 20 years of Tiki observation, being that I discovered Oceanic Arts in 1989. I really try to be as visual in my posts as in my books. Every picture tells a story --and the right sequence of pictures really tells it even better. :)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 10:46 AM

GROG raise you.

(Had to include this last one because it have picture of GROG' mother)

So, 1 million is the bid.

Big Bro, Sorry about the Buick (I love the 59 and 60..my faves)and sorry about the lack of visuals. How about a rear end shot....

...oops, I meant a rear VIEW shot :blush:

T

The Tiki Magazine spread on BigBro's house was epic but I know there are a ton a other great shots in there. You could always just post picks of some photos we haven't seen in the next couple posts. They are all like gold. Anyone have a Sven baby photo?

S

I'm somehow still in the top 10 posters. No one will ever catch Benzart, but LLT is trying hard! I approach 4k posts myself.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 11:34 AM

On 2010-01-27 11:09, teaKEY wrote:
Anyone have a Sven baby photo?

Found one:

On 2010-01-27 10:49, Or Got Rum? wrote:
Big Bro, Sorry about the Buick (I love the 59 and 60..my faves)

Here's a picture of it in its better days, in 1986:

Are we seeing double? Indeed! The story is that I was working as the gaffer on a movie called "Slamdance", and the production designer liked my car and proposed it for the lead character (played by Tom Hulce) to director Wayne Wang. But because the car was my daily driver, and I needed it to get to the set, they simply rented another of the same make and model for the film. Now that's Hollywood for ya!

Sweet...clean uncluttered space age design....sigh

G

On 2010-01-26 18:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
Question is: But WHY did all these places disappear without leaving a trace?

Florida is very transitional. People come and go. Very few native Floridians from birth, relative to the population. And as a retirement destination, well... many of those folks don't stay too long. :wink: Having lived here since 1978, there is still not a firm sense of "place" here, an identity, like in California. So places, too, come and go and there are relatively few people around to remember they ever existed.

Sorry to spoil the SvenFest with Florida tiki talk... :D

There were 666 views to this thread, which I thought might be unlucky for bigbro, so I felt the need to post.

A

Good times.

-Randy

looks like ur close
hmmmoh mmoh? how bout a fresca?

Here is an image I found in an Archive from Washington State a few months ago. Bar cost $60.00 Looks a little cramped, but cool to see what they were doing in the home Tiki Bars back then. They sure have changed over the years.

What do ya think big bro? Pre Tiki, Linoleum on the floor? any comments???

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 7:40 PM

GROG just pass 3,500, so GROG about half as many as bigbro.

On 2010-01-28 19:40, GROG wrote:
GROG just pass 3,500, so GROG about half as many as bigbro.

about 1/2 height too. :wink:

( arrrr! :)

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 11:26 PM

Hey, GROG much taller when GROG not knuckle walking.

P

I post in your honor, Sven.
My count is far less than yours but I'm taking some meds for it.

J

Remember kids, it's the quality of your posts that give you Tiki street cred, not the quantity.

Example: The Jab's recent post of "1960 HiFi / Stereo Review 5-page article on Exotica".

That's worth 1000 posts of "What you watched on TV last night" or one sentence golly-gosh fan boy ramblings.

I'm just sayin'..... :)

T

On 2010-01-27 16:21, aquarj wrote:

Good times.

-Randy

Damn! Sven takes his laptop EVERYwhere! Explains why he responds so fast...

T

Is "I Sailed to Tahiti with an All-Girl Crew" any good?

P

That's the single greatest sentence ever constructed.

J

Haha, I don't think I've even broken 100. Good for you Sven.

TG

We can see you're having trouble getting that last one out,
so a few of us got together and bought you this special kit
that should do the trick.

Pages: 1 2 56 replies