Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

NEW - Papua-Ooma-Mow-Mow Drum Mug - READY TO SHIP - Squid / Babalu

Pages: 1 2 55 replies

B

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
B-b-b-bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word...?

Ok, you may not have heard yet, but Squid and I are going to have a bit of fun and launch a limited edition mug together...

This "NEW" Squidalu limited edition Tiki Style Mug is called the:

"Papua-Ooma-Mow-Mow Drum"

Inspired from the art of Papua New Guinea, this mug must also pay some tribute to the raging sounds of the "Trashmen" and their 1963 hit "Surfin' Bird".

So, without a further ado, this little spongy dude would like to march in the band and the mug...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht6Zmv6RmDE&feature=related

This Papua-Ooma-Mow-Mow Drum Mug stands almost 9.5 iches tall, and holds about 20 oz. of your favorite libation. Each mug will be numbered 1 through 40 and will be signed by both Squid and Babalu.

We are going to limit this production run to "ONLY" 40 mugs. The price will be $65 with $10 for shipping and handling.

Squid and I would both like to offer this mug here on TC to our Ohana first...This thread is the "list" gang...we will be shipping in a few weeks. Please chime in on this thread, or pm me and I will hold your spot on one.

YAY!!!

[ Edited by: Babalu 2010-01-27 15:24 ]

[ Edited by: Babalu 2010-02-05 11:39 ]

Any chance of shipping one to the UK?

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 3:23 PM

Babalu-

I'd like one please! Number 1?

I'm a big fan of The Trashmen too. Tiki mug + Trashmen = Freakin awesome!

Oh yas Sigh Baba...UNO MAS! :D

M

Yay, Babs!
One for me, please.
Now, I'll have one of your drums to drink from!

That's a beauty! Sign me up. 1 please.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-01-27 16:33 ]

I'd love to see the drum mug with the alligator/crocodile handle in a limited edition too. That one is great! Come to think of it, they're all amazing!

Gorgeous!
Lovin the Birdie's Claws!
All Hail Squidalooooooooooooooooooo!

Bird is the word! :o

Sign me up!!! :D

1 Please!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: blacksandz 2010-01-31 15:10 ]

Please put me down for one as well, you guys do such awsome work...keep it up! Aaron

T

Great work. Please sign me up for one.

Definitely want one, so put us on the list!
Thanx,
D&C

T

I love it! Please put me down for one!
Thanks

Looking Good! The Bird is the word!

B

Hey...wow! Thank you everyone above for your kind support of our work, and a huge thank you to you folks that have PMed me for one as well.

Shipping to the UK will be $25, so sure, if your in another Country and would like one of these mugs, no problem...you would just need to cover the extra shipping to wherever and we will toss one (packed extremely well) in the mail for you.

Squid, we should have made more than 40 of these :) ...oh well...

C

Put me on THE List - gotta have one!!!!!

Hey Babs,
please sign me up for one as well.
Maggie

T

Really cool mug..Put me down for 1 mug please..

[ Edited by: Tiki-Tim 2010-01-31 16:22 ]

T

Please put me on the list for one!

T

Me too please...with shipping to Canada.

N

Im in for one!

K

I want one!!

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Feb 1, 2010 9:54 AM

Again, wow...thank you all for your support. It looks like Squid and Babalu will be able to have a steak and pie dinner. :)

I've had a few folks ask about how we came up with the Papua Ooma Mow Mow...

The Idea:

I'm into drums from New Guinea big time right now...and Squid, well, he's a drummer (as if you didn't know), and also into the drums of New Guinea. We have been having some fun bouncing research back and forth with each other for some time now. One day while Squid was down here kickin' stuff around in the studio, we just decided extend the fun a little and build this guy up...We had built the foundations for a custom Squidalu mug prior where I built up the drum body and Squids built up a couple of handles, so we just reversed the process on this one; Squid built the drum body and I built up the handle. Squid tightened up the master, and I made the molds. Wah-lah -

The Name:

We were just sitting around, carving away in the studio one day...nothing to much being said at the time, when we both just started kind-a busting out with the Trashmen's 1963 hit "Surfin' Bird"...it was a natural name for the mug...

The Design:

Squid was intrigued by a double hook design that comes mostly from the Lake Sentani area of New Guinea. I think this design has a real modern feel to it...Some nice TC Ohana had turned me onto this bird image that the MaiKai had used as well back in the day on another thread. I had been wanting to use a version of it in something ever since...

The History:

Here's the fun part...The idea that a mug could have the ability to aid in the escapism of an individual to a unknown mysterious place is overwhelming "turn on" for both Squid and myself. This is why Polinesian Pop intrigues me so. Well, with the people of New Guinea the drum does basically the same thing, it transforms. Drums from NG are loaded with symbolism. Birds, flying bats, etc...these images are mostly head hunting images. The people of NG feel that humans were descended from trees...they see the birds and bats eating from the trees...see the connection? The hour glass shape of the drum body is done this way to represent the shape of the human form. There is a lot more information I could share on this, perhaps I should start another thread and dive into topic :)

If you have any other questions, please let me know...We still have a few of these mugs left. Now is the time if you would like one...they have been moving quite quickly (again thanks)...we should have these 40 mugs ready to ship by the end of the week. I will pm all of you with PayPal info in the next day or two.

Squid is bringing down the little cards that will go with these mugs...I will post images soon.

Enjoy the Day!

Count me in!!!!

Cheers!

H
hulala posted on Mon, Feb 1, 2010 6:30 PM

Tanga our African Grey sings this song all the time!

Your studio photos are wonderful, thank you. More please. Wendy

Whoa!!! Awesome design you guys! One of the coolest mugs I've seen in a long time.

S
squid posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2010 5:04 PM

Hey! What's that I smell???? MMMMMMMMMMM....fresh mugs bakin' in the oven.....

LT

Mmmmm... hot and soft and loaded with butter...

B

YAY!!

Squid was down these last few days, and we fired everything...we have a go folks! :)

Looks like we can start shipping. Again, thank you for the the orders; it is very much appreciated.

We still have a few left if your interested...We are going offer these remaining few exclusively on TC for the next week or so.

I will PM all of you that have chimed in for one with PayPal instructions here shortly.

Enjoy the Day!

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 11:41 AM

Yay!! Back to you, Babs :)

B

You got number #1 G... :-) Way to be quick on the ole button there :-)

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 1:12 PM

OMG! #1 is mine??!!?

When I get home tonight I'm clearing a space for it...top shelf center :)

Thanks Babalu, Thanks Squid - you guys are BOSS. G

M

Put me down for one if you ship to the old world!

Mahalo!

TT

Please put me down for one! Thanks!!!

Hookeh...that line up just looks too tempting. I just made some x-tra money. I will take TWO, one for me, and one for a gift to the gods. :)

Please put me down for one!
Smashing work there fellas!
Congrats!

R

one please!

Reeeealllly great mug guys! I know how much work you must have put into making each and every one.
I curtsy to your coolness.

B

Hey All,

A little update...This is a picture of the little card that Squid did up for the mugs...all signed and numbered :)

I believe I have pm'ed everyone now with my PayPal information. If for some reason you are on the below list and didn't get a pm from me (entirely possible), could you please let me know.

Also, if you have yet to PayPal...when you do, could you include your TC name in the comments area of the transaction for me? I am pretty good at knowing everyone's TC name, but making the connection to a real name is sometimes hard for me. You should see the adolescent eye rolls I get from my girls when someone calls me Babalu in front of them...its a crack up :lol:

Most everything marked "shipped" below was delivered to the Post office on Monday....

1. Tiki G -
  2. Jonesy - shipped
  3. Pikey's Dog - shipped
  4. Murphdog - shipped
  5. ebtiki - PM - shipped
  6. Tiki Tonga - shipped
  7. Dan loves Tiki - shipped
  8. Black Sandz - shipped
  9. The Ragin' Rarotongan -
  10. Tedtiki - shipped
  11. Bamboo Lodge -
  12. Tiki Dude -
  13. Queen Kamamaya - shipped
  14. Croe67 - shipped
  15. Miss Monk-ii - shipped
  16. Tiki Tim - shipped
  17. Tiki Kitty - shipped
  18. David - shipped
  19. The Fuzz - shipped
  20. Tikitam - shipped
  21. Notch -
  22. Kahaka - shipped
  23. Side Show Bob -
  24. Surfalaia - shipped
  25. 1961 Surf -
  26. Markusk -
  27. Trader Tom - shipped
  28. Big Bro - shipped
  29. Big Bro - shipped
  30. Lokonaki'i - shipped
  31. Rontiki - shipped
    32 - 40 still open

Thanks everyone! If you would like to be added to the list, just let me know.

[ Edited by: Babalu 2010-02-11 14:16 ]

T

#16 arrived today and it looks really cool.Great job on these Babalu & Squid....

My two arrived safely, and I placed my personal one in good company, in the PNG mug section:

I also found a recipe for it: Trader Vic's Babalu!

Except, I propose a variation, to put the Squid in it:

Instead of two ounces gold rum, put one ounce gold, and one ounce KRAKEN in it!
I will christen it the Baba-squid! (in the Papua-ooma-mow mow) Ungawa!

B

That line up of mugs (drinks too) look mighty tasty there Big Bro!...a Babalu/Squids cocktail?...hehe...love it! Squid is out buying the mix-ins' right now :)

Kraken=Squid :lol:

E

The mug's even better in person - you guys outdid yourselves!

Eric

This mug is beautiful and huge! It's very special, thank you Squidalu, Wendy

K

I am so happy, oh yes I'm happy. Got mine, and it's way better than good. Mahalo!

Pages: 1 2 55 replies