Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New Swap Ideas--What's yours?

Pages: 1 27 replies

L

Since this latest mug swap is drawing to a close with just a few more people to be accounted for I thought maybe for the next swap (date to be determined) we switch things up for a bit.

I had an idea to do a paper/swizzle swap next.

You can send a priority mail envelope for $5.65 and it can seriously be chocked full of stuff and still cost the same. This would be a blessing since I know some of your packages for the mug swap get pricey to send.

My idea for a swizzle/paper swap would include menus, postcards, ads, photos, matchbooks, picks, swizzles, coasters, etc...

I would be interested in hearing what other ideas you guys may have or if a swizzle/paper swap would be of interest.

I am thinking a good timeframe would be end of March.

Any thoughts or ideas?

I think this would be a cool idea, and a creative way to keep swaps happening more often, without it draining out wallets. I had the most fun in this last swap and can't wait for the next trade of its kind!

I'd be happy to join in a paper trade, since the postage on my last trade was almost $30... :-0

sounds good, it stirs it up a little for those with big mug collections. hmmmmmm i think i remember finding..........

N
nuKKe posted on Mon, Feb 1, 2010 4:41 AM

I really like the swizzle/ paper idea, although I doubt I'd join this one. I don't have enough ephemera to share.
Another idea that can either be combined with the paper/ swizzle exchange or be held separately would be a mix cd exchange.

I would be very interested in a swizzle swap. There are a couple of swizzles out there that i would like to add to my collection

[ Edited by: Bail Tekey 2010-02-01 10:18 ]

I'm all for an ephemera exchange.

Ya sounds cool to me , I dont have alot being in a country without a TIKI bar but I could always dig something up !

You mean people collect postcards, and menus, and matchbooks and swizzles and stuff?

DC

L

On 2010-02-01 11:52, Dustycajun wrote:
You mean people collect postcards, and menus, and matchbooks and swizzles and stuff?

DC

Only you DC! Well you and Sabu! Do you guys just want to do a Cajun/Sabu swap and we will all watch?

:)

Sounds good to me. We might need a bigger envelope...

S

You can't swap me!

What about a Hawaiian t-shirt exchange? I think something like that happened at Tiki Oasis once? Those might be easier to find than cool, older tiki materials (I know San Diego is pretty devoid of them).

T

SHRUNKEN HEAD STUFF!!!!!
Or maybe this is a better idea for the next art swap huh? *hint

N
nuKKe posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 4:10 AM

On 2010-02-02 15:24, TIKIVILLE wrote:
SHRUNKEN HEAD STUFF!!!!!

Anyone else from the Creating Tiki forums reading this? :wink:

I'm in for a paper/swizzle swap, I have a bit of stuff to trade.

Not a lot of vintage stuff however...just stuff I've swiped from a lot of the local places.

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2010-02-04 12:57 ]

On 2010-02-02 15:24, TIKIVILLE wrote:
SHRUNKEN HEAD STUFF!!!!!

Ya know TIKIVILLE the sad thing was that my first thought was ...hey that would be cool!!!!!! not to mention the fun it could be if the post office scanned there packages!!

L

I think a shrunken head swap would be awesome as an art swap...not so much a "stuff" swap...I can not think of one shrunken head item I own that I am giving to anyone :wink:

Like the Hawaiian shirt swap idea.

Jason never mind if its vintage paper or new paper....if you have swiped it than most likely someone else hasn't.

I'd be interested in a Hawaiian shirt swap - I have lots of beautiful Aloha shirts that are too small for me that someone should wear. Maybe there's a skinny mini out there who doesn't know what to do with all their XL & XXLs?? They'd sure be cheaper to mail than mugs and not as breakable.

TT

I like the Aloha shirt swap idea. I was thinking of posting that and said, Nah, peeps aren't going to part with their shirts! But I'm a skinny mini, and I keep finding L, XL, 2XL! Nice ones! But I don't have any shrunken heads lying around, and not much spare ephemera, except what is currently available for swiping.

Thanks for hosting the swaps, Liz!

:drink:
Tacky

Shirt idea is a good one. I like to wear XL or Lg. So if anyone would like to test the mailing of shirts. you could just mail me a couple... with tikis or ukuleles on them please... :wink:

The only hiccup I could see for a shirt exchange(aside from Mai-Tai induced ones) is making sure the giver has the correct size for the givee. I have some small stuff...

Ephemera is pretty limited on my end, except for the stuff I draw ...
Either way, I am IN!
~Zero

It's too bad that logistically, an Alcohol Swap is out of the question.

Just imagine...I could send you Mericans some Cuban Rum, you could send me some Martinique rum...

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-02-20 11:45 ]

How about a digital swap, many of us save cool photos etc and even do digital art, which can be swapped using email
a little bit of a change?

BT

Or even a print swap (I think a print would be cooler to recieve than an email). Easy enough to go to Walmart and print and $5 8x10 (and you can get frames for $2.50).

Not trying to promote Wal-Mart but it is a cheap way to go.

I've even got some decent pics from my trip to Hawaii that would be fitting.

Clowns.....
best theme EVER for a Swap!

L

I think for this next swap the majority of messages I have received are pushing for Hawaiian Shirt. Details to come but keep the ideas coming!

Z

On 2010-02-20 11:43, Slacks Ferret wrote:
It's too bad that logistically, an Alcohol Swap is out of the question.

Just imagine...I could send you Mericans some Cuban Rum, you could send me some Martinique rum...

...well, you could send us 'mericans rum anyway

On 2010-02-04 20:02, leleliz wrote:
I think a shrunken head swap would be awesome as an art swap...not so much a "stuff" swap...I can not think of one shrunken head item I own that I am giving to anyone

Check the Creating Tiki forums, folks...Shrunken heads for an artsy swap! All artistically inclined headshrinkers should apply!

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-03-02 12:25 ]

Pages: 1 27 replies